Idaho fires

rclouse79

WKR
I was lucky enough to get a spike with my bow on Saturday evening, but I was seriously contemplating leaving the next day due to smoke. It took me 18 hours of packing meat, which I am guessing was the equivalent of smoking a carton of cigarettes. A little black lung is worth it for an elk.
Praying for some serious rain storms.

TheTone

WKR
Fire cycles are inevitable.
Except sadly from the lochsa drainage north. The asbestos forest it seems.

The fires really aren’t anything new. We’ve done a great job stockpiling fuels for decades by putting out every little fire. Plus the massive amount of noxious weeds all over the landscape, many of which have displaced native more fire tolerant vegetation, and you have a recipe for things to burn often and be hard to control

Last edited:

ODB

WKR

The fires really aren’t anything new. We’ve done a great job stockpiling fuels for decades by putting out every little fire. Plus the massive amount of noxious weeds all over the landscape, many of which have displaced native more fire tolerant native vegetation, and you have a recipe for things to burn often and be hard to control

I was reading about this just today - the desire to stop all fires has changed the available fuel and that low intensity fires that used to run through an area quickly are now higher in intensity and slower burning and resultantly do more damage.

The fires really aren’t anything new. We’ve done a great job stockpiling fuels for decades by putting out every little fire. Plus the massive amount of noxious weeds all over the landscape, many of which have displaced native more fire tolerant vegetation, and you have a recipe for things to burn often and be hard to control
There’s a few and a few new starts from this weeks lightning that may do some good if they decide to get up and go. Funny enough one of the fires is not too far from the area in the Lolo Zone that was talked about in a podcast earlier this year.

The Watch Duty app is helpful, but not always accurate and doesn’t display every fire on the landscape. They do rely on wildcad updates for some and truth be told some don’t get updated as IR might not be flown on them for an accurate size.

Last edited:
That Lava Fire flat blew up today. Started the morning above Ola and is going to finish the day in Indian Valley. The Weiser Elk Zone is torched.

Here is missoula we had our worst air quality day of the year. It is nasty out - decided not to go running the last two days after going on Friday.

The Lave fire went from 2k acres this morning to 30+k tonight. Sounds like it is in an active timber sale now. My firewood hole is up in smoke.:(

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Here is missoula we had our worst air quality day of the year. It is nasty out - decided not to go running the last two days after going on Friday.
OnX shows a bunch of very recent fire starts in the Selway Bitterroot wilderness. And the Wye fire in that area is now almost 12 000 acres :(

Sure loving Alaska now. Seems like I was breathing wildfire smoke since July when I was down south. I wish I could send some rain ️ your way. Hopefully Mother Nature eases off. She is mad. I can see why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More lightning tonight with little to no rain. Will see how accurate the National Weather Service is with their rain predictions starting this Wednesday.

IDVortex

WKR
Dang. There's even a couple little fires down in 20a next to the area I was trying to get into this spring for bear and possibly mule deer this fall.

TheTone

WKR
That Wye fire is probably burning up a bunch of previously burns logs and snags. Might do some real good honestly

KurtR

WKR
Seen pictures of friends in the cascade camp ground out their running field trails it’s pretty wild. I wonder how all that smoke messed with the dogs nose.

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Well, some possible good news: a cold front is predicted to move in on Wednesday and we might get a steady rain for a few hours with no lightning.