Idaho draw results 2023

Gobbler36

WKR
I wonder what the draw odds would look like if everyone with a kid wasn't allowed to apply every eligible, non-hunting family member to sign over tags. That has to be a huge number of extra people in the draw. I have no skin in the game, as I've only been to ID once to kill bears and have never applied there. Just curious, as it seems something everyone does to gain extra youth tags.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Yes it’s a huge gripe Of mine
I have 3 kids as well so I am all for youth hunting and having some youth only opportunities but it’s excessive what some people do.
I know people putting in wives, mother in laws, granddads, grandmas,etc for every species. it gets a little absurd

Legend

WKR
My buddy drew a Hell of an archery elk tag. Looks like I need to make room in September to see some sweet country. Oh and I am way behind on the stair climber!

Last edited:

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
I think the family thing is out of control too but I use it for 1 non hunter (my mom) who has drawn 2 tags in three years for my teenage boy and since in those 3 years he didn’t draw himself I can say his opportunities has created a life long hunter along the way. Life long hunters are what we need so I support it.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
I think the family thing is out of control too but I use it for 1 non hunter (my mom) who has drawn 2 tags in three years for my teenage boy and since in those 3 years he didn’t draw himself I can say his opportunities has created a life long hunter along the way. Life long hunters are what we need so I support it.
You should be able to create a lifelong hunter without needing a controlled hunt signed over to your son that he didn't draw...

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
Yeah trust me I get it
Its a huge temptation but I believe we can get our young ones out hunting and doing other things without screwing up and skewing odds robbing everyones opportunity

I hope my kids hunt but for me my end goal all around is that they at worst understand hunting, and are an advocate for wildlife and wild places regardless if they hunt as adults

that should be the goal not necessarily makr sure they are hunters. I think hunting is a by product of being good voices for wild life and the outdoors
I think the family thing is out of control too but I use it for 1 non hunter (my mom) who has drawn 2 tags in three years for my teenage boy and since in those 3 years he didn’t draw himself I can say his opportunities has created a life long hunter along the way. Life long hunters are what we need so I support it

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
You should be able to create a lifelong hunter without needing a controlled hunt signed over to your son that he didn't draw...

While that is true, he wouldn’t have been able to hunt antelope with a rifle thus not an antelope hunting fan. And the general hunt pumpkin patch is a far different experience — and you know that.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
For those that haven’t read the rule - here it is from the regs:

The holder of a controlled hunt tag for big game, excluding moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goat, may designate that tag to his or her child or grandchild under the age of 18 who is otherwise qualified to participate in the hunt. The child or grandchild may be designated only one controlled hunt tag per species per calendar year. The designation must be made before the opening date of the hunt. Resident adults can only designate tags to resident youth; Nonresident adults can only designate tags to nonresident youth.
Individuals who draw a tag in the first drawing where waiting period rules apply, and designate the tag to a youth, are still subject to the appropriate waiting period rules.

Mojave

WKR
I have applied for elk, deer and antelope for the past 3 years in Idaho as a non-resident.

My kids don't hunt, so the capability is lost on me.

Not a fan of the system for sure.

rclouse79

WKR
I have taken advantage of the current rules with youth tags, and will continue to support the rules after my kids are adults. Sounds like a few guys on here are crying sour grapes after a stretch of not drawing tags. If a 10 year old kid doesn’t need a draw tag to enjoy hunting, why can’t some crusty old know it all be happy with an over the counter tag? I am grateful for the opportunities this great state affords, and view a special draw as the gravy on top.

280Ackley

WKR
I have taken advantage of the current rules with youth tags, and will continue to support the rules after my kids are adults. Sounds like a few guys on here are crying sour grapes after a stretch of not drawing tags. If a 10 year old kid doesn’t need a draw tag to enjoy hunting, why can’t some crusty old know it all be happy with an over the counter tag? I am grateful for the opportunities this great state affords, and view a special draw as the gravy on top.

I was able to put my son in for a moose tag last year and then he was still able to go on our elk hunt because his mom gave up her tag. I think the system it good.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
While that is true, he wouldn’t have been able to hunt antelope with a rifle thus not an antelope hunting fan. And the general hunt pumpkin patch is a far different experience — and you know that.
I understand taking advantage of the system in place, i would do the same for my son, that doesn't mean the system in place is correct.

TheTone

WKR
I understand taking advantage of the system in place, i would do the same for my son, that doesn't mean the system in place is correct.

agreed; I and most everyone I know fell in love with hunting and the outdoors without needing special treatment and controlled hunts to do so. With my own pitiful draw luck I’ll probably not be using this system with my kid. They already have youth only hunts

I was able to put my son in for a moose tag last year and then he was still able to go on our elk hunt because his mom gave up her tag. I think the system it good.

Would your wife have hunted the elk tag if she hadn’t given it to your son? That is the biggest issue, in the day and age of online only hunter safety courses it’s nothing to get every non-hunting family member a hunter safety certification and apply them with no intention of hunting. From your post I get the feeling your wife was going to hunt the tag and I hope that is the case, people who buy a $25 online course preference point for their kids are just wrong in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
As someone that moved from Idaho to Utah, you do not want points.

You are looking at it wrong. Yes, its "unfair" that some dude drew all of those but he and you had a chance at each of those tags. In Utah, you would have a chance at one of the OIL and maybe two of the elk tags. There are guys that got in on the ground floor, 27 years ago, that haven't drawn elk tags. Same with OIL. You have a better probability of drawing without points.
Either system is crap. Demand exceeds supply. If you want a "better system" you have to change demand or supply.

The math is simple, a 5% random draw odd means you are more likely to never draw in 55 years than draw any one year.

CorbLand

WKR
Either system is crap. Demand exceeds supply. If you want a "better system" you have to change demand or supply.

The math is simple, a 5% random draw odd means you are more likely to never draw in 55 years than draw any one year.
Supply and demand parameters are a given. Regardless, a point system is worse than random.

Preference point system does nothing to address the problem and only gives you a "guarantee" in the end. Minus the fact that there are many that have max points that will not draw before they die and that will only continue to get worse and worse.

A bonus point system would give you increasing odds each year. Except those didnt work so now we have to square your points to increase your odds even more.

I will take your 5% chance each year for 55 years over a point system any day of the week, month, year, lifetime.

Last edited:
Supply and demand parameters are a given. Regardless, a point system is worse than random.

Preference point system does nothing to address the problem and only gives you a "guarantee" in the end. Minus the fact that there are many that have max points that will not draw before they die and that will only continue to get worse and worse.

A bonus point system would give you increasing odds each year. Except those didnt work so now we have to square your points to increase your even odds more.

I will take your 5% chance each year for 55 years over a point system any day of the week, month, year, lifetime.
Amen brother.

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider

A bonus point system would give you increasing odds each year. Except those didnt work so now we have to square your points to increase your even odds more.

I will concede random draw works well for some instances. But that doesnt mean preference points should never be used. Its obvious preference points will not solve problems of draws that have low tag numbers and high numbers of applicants. ie - if you have 18 tags and 619 applicants under a pp system it would take 35 years to 'eat' away at the first level of applicants. so a random draw makes sense here. but when you have 360 tags and 1800 applicants, a pp system could be implemented.

CorbLand

WKR
I will concede random draw works well for some instances. But that doesnt mean preference points should never be used. Its obvious preference points will not solve problems of draws that have low tag numbers and high numbers of applicants. ie - if you have 18 tags and 619 applicants under a pp system it would take 35 years to 'eat' away at the first level of applicants. so a random draw makes sense here. but when you have 360 tags and 1800 applicants, a pp system could be implemented.
How would a state implement a point system based on the number of tags/applicants? Would it just be for that hunt code? What happens as tags are reduced or applicants go up? Do those that have points just get theirs tossed?

The argument you just made is the exact same one that was made 30 years ago when these systems were created. “You will draw in 5 years and be guaranteed a tag.” Tell that to the guys that have max points and are still waiting.

There is no perfect system that will work for everyone and every situation. That’s called life.

The bottom line is this. Point systems don’t fix a damn thing and only cause more problems. Points are participation trophies.