Idaho draw results 2023

bobr1

WKR
Very frustrating draw process for me. I put in for tags that are 20%+ draw odds every year for deer, elk, and antelope. Drawn 2 tags in 16 years, both with 60% odds at the time of drawing. Pretty crazy odds of being unsuccessful all the time

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
So this was my first time applying to Idaho, as I’m a Montana resident but had a friend move there last year. If the hunt choice says selected does that mean I drew the tag? If so I drew an elk and mule deer tag.

So this was my first time applying to Idaho, as I’m a Montana resident but had a friend move there last year. If the hunt choice says selected does that mean I drew the tag? If so I drew an elk and mule deer tag.
That's what it means! An elk and deer for a NR? Best go buy a lottery ticket!

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah selected means you drew. Im putting in with you in 2 years when you're qualified to again.

Very frustrating draw process for me. I put in for tags that are 20%+ draw odds every year for deer, elk, and antelope. Drawn 2 tags in 16 years, both with 60% odds at the time of drawing. Pretty crazy odds of being unsuccessful all the time

At least we always have a chance and arnt chasing point creep. I really do prefer Idahos draw system over the rest. Just wish they would post results on a given day closer to when due.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
At least we always have a chance and arnt chasing point creep. I really do prefer Idahos draw system over the rest. Just wish they would post results on a given day closer to when due.
I understand not wanting points and point creep. Selfishly, I wish Idaho did have points. I would have better odds of drawing premier tags in my home state at some point in my lifetime. Sure, everybody has equal odds in the system now. But why should a stone mason I know have drawn a mtn goat tag, moose tag, 45 elk, 45 deer, 40 deer, 43 elk x2 in the amount of time ive drawn a doe antelope and cow elk tag? Luck of the draw, sure, but I feel shafted every year when i have an over 50% chance of drawing 1 of the tags i put in for but seemingly never do.

CorbLand

WKR
I understand not wanting points and point creep. Selfishly, I wish Idaho did have points. I would have better odds of drawing premier tags in my home state at some point in my lifetime. Sure, everybody has equal odds in the system now. But why should a stone mason I know have drawn a mtn goat tag, moose tag, 45 elk, 45 deer, 40 deer, 43 elk x2 in the amount of time ive drawn a doe antelope and cow elk tag? Luck of the draw, sure, but I feel shafted every year when i have an over 50% chance of drawing 1 of the tags i put in for but seemingly never do.

As someone that moved from Idaho to Utah, you do not want points.

You are looking at it wrong. Yes, its "unfair" that some dude drew all of those but he and you had a chance at each of those tags. In Utah, you would have a chance at one of the OIL and maybe two of the elk tags. There are guys that got in on the ground floor, 27 years ago, that haven't drawn elk tags. Same with OIL. You have a better probability of drawing without points.

Trust me I get it too. I’m 13 years without a deer or elk limited entry in Idaho. I’m also behind the curve for tags in Utah, AZ, and WY and may never see those tags. A bonus point system in Idaho where it’s still a random draw but your entry’s square each year would be great I think with how Idaho limits the number of things you can apply for. WA does that but it’s a mess because you can enter for a billion things and don’t have to chose.

Last edited:

bobr1

WKR
Yeah… this is weird, very unexpected. Struck out in New Mexico and Arizona. I put in for everything in Montana and didn’t even draw a 50% draw odds doe tag for my area with 2 points. I’ve drew a few years ago with no points. Still waiting for antelope… the unit I put in for in Idaho is close to where my friend lives so I don’t think they have huge animals. Draw odds for nonresident were like 25% for elk and 7% for deer. I guess not having a point system works sometimes. Sorry for the people who didn’t draw.

Last edited:

ID_Matt

WKR

Have you ever done the math on this and figured how many years it would take to draw if those premier units were on a point system? I'd bet you have 10+ years to go until you have a reasonable reason to complain....

I drew unlimited archery antelope and feel like it is a win, it’s always questionable whether I’ll draw that or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Have you ever done the math on this and figured how many years it would take to draw if those premier units were on a point system? I'd bet you have 10+ years to go until you have a reasonable reason to complain....
Done the math? Not exactly, but I have an idea of it. I will continue to hunt units in other states i put in for with points that are as quality if not higher quality than the hunts I put in for as my controlled hunts in Idaho. I just have poor luck in draws with IDFG and am frustrated with it. I will continue to enjoy my otc tags that were fortunate enough to have and have a blast anyway