Idaho Archery DIY OTC Deer & Elk Hunt on Public Land

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Today is the first break I've taken from hunting since Sunday afternoon. I original planned on a 10 day backpacking trip into Central Idaho's backcountry. As some of you may know, the air thick with smoke. I can't glass from one mountain top to another. Glassing for bucks in the high country has been very limited. So I have changed my strategy and been day hunting by alternating from high country deer to brush country elk every day.

Monday began with a stalk on a good 4 by 4 buck. I carefully made my approach in on his bed. I crept in to about 30 yards and accidentally caused a rock to move just loud enough to blow my easy shot. I haven't invaded his home since and plan to see if he is back tomorrow for a second attempt.

Tuesday turned out to be filled with nothing but endless brush and rock. Hunting pressure seemed to have push the elk into an out of the ordinary bedding area. I have watched this elk heard for close to 10 years now and this is the first year I purchased an elk tag for the unit. The heard always carries at least three 6 point bulls with 40 plus cows and a number of smaller bulls. There is always a satellite 6 point who is kicked out of the heard and beds in few different rocky bowls. The monarch of the herd is typically a solid 6 point in the 300 inch plus range. Sometimes the monarch will grow big enough to break 330, but that only has happened once in the past 10 years.

Wednesday was the day I went in search of the big 3 by 3 I glassed up in July. I carefully hiked up into his home and slowly picked apart all of the upper mountain ridge, particularly where I watched him bed. With no luck, I chose to back out and not spook him out of his home. As I was leaving I glassed up 9 Mountain Goats in the basin below out grazing, so that was the highlight of my day.

Thursday was filled with ups and downs. I immediately stepped out of my truck to hear the bugling of the Monarch and the Satellite bulls. I quickly worked over to my vantage point in the dark and awaited the sunrise. I quickly spotted the herd and the satellite bull. The satellite bull ended up grazing down wind of me and quickly moved out to his bedding area just out of site to plan a successful stalk.

With the satellite bull out of the picture, I had only one realistic option, go after the Monarch of the Herd. By the time I moved within 300 yards, they were bedded in the tall brush. I slowly approached taking a few steps then glassing for any elk ears or antlers. I quickly picked out a large set of antlers shining in the sunlight just above the brush. This was clearly the Monarch of the Herd and I only had a short distance to close. I carefully took my time and stalked into about 60 yards and was finally picked off by one of the cows. She acted quickly and began alerting the herd. I stood up, drew my bow, anchored, and placed my 60 yard directly behind his shoulder as he stood up perfectly broadside. My release felt perfect and watched my arrow fly directly where I aimed. I watched the bull turn and run slowly up to the nearby ridge. To my surprise, there was no wound on him. Turns out the arrow flew just under him and stuck into the dirt. I misjudged the distance by 10 yards or so and came up short on my first attempt.

Only hours later I was back in on the herd and within 100 yards of the big 6 point. As I broke 90 yards I was busted by another cow and the days hunt was over with a missed shot and 2 learning experiences. I will be back another day for this bull. He is clearly a shooter in my book, rifle or bow.

Today I spent with family and now am planning tomorrows deer hunt. I hope to find the smaller 4 point buck in his usual bed where I am confident in taking him down. Next week will be taking down the big 6 point bull. I'll have more to share Sunday or later next week at the end of my hunt.

Good Luck Hunting & Hope to Hear Your Stories

Last edited:
OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Here is most of the gear I have packed on this hunt:

-Cold Steel SRK Knife & Parachute Cord. I feel a good survival knife is essential to making the most out of the resources around you. I feel I could survive most any situation with just a knife and parachute cord. You never know when things will go wrong, go in as prepared as possible.
-Sharpening Stone
-MSR Hyperlfow Microfilter & Potable Aqua
-32 oz. Nalgene Bottle & Platypus Hydration Bladder
-First Lite Quarter Zip & Full Zip Tops
-Lightweight Khaki Pants
-Old Air Force Issued BDU Goretex Jacket & Pants
-Cabela's Meindle Boots
-Eberlestock J107-M Dragonfly. This pack is a phenomenal pack that impresses me more and more every time I use it. The J-Series style is an amazing design that I have grown to love.
-Hoyt CRX-35 (30" draw with 67 lb draw weight), Spot Hogg 7-Pin, Trophy Taker Rest, Spot Hogg Saturday Night Special Release, G5 Montec Broadheads, Quickspin Fletchings, and Easton FMJ 300's with two Standard Inserts glued in the front of each arrow.
-Gauze, Duct Tape, Needles & Thread, Moleskin, Rubbing Alcohol, Bar of Soap, Large Trash Bags, Game Bags, 2 Space Blankets, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Benedryl, & Pepto Tablets.
-SPOT GPS Locator Beacon
-Vortex Nomad Spotting Scope
-Nikon Camera
-Alpen Binoculars
-Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy
-Thermarest Neoair
-North Face Sleeping Bag