ID Unit 49 OTC Deer

My sister and I were fortunate and picked up unit 49 ID OTC deer tags for the 2023 rifle season. We live in different states and try to get together for a hunt each year. My goal is for us to prepare as well as we can ahead of the season, to have the best experience possible. I live in Missoula, so only ~6 hour drive for summer scouting.

Here's what we've done so far:

-Keep in excellent physical condition, year-round
-6 years of mule deer hunting experience (~20 years of total hunting experience)
-E-scouting - OnX, Go Hunt, Google Earth - We have some spots in mind to scout
-Contacted ID F&G wildlife biologists
-Researched migration patterns

I plan to go on at least one scouting trip this summer.

If anyone has insight on this unit that I could DM, that would be greatly appreciated. I'd be happy to share info I've learned about hunting MT the past 6 years. Thank you very much!

OP
MontanaMuley
Can't remember ever seeing a deer when I hunted there but you will certainly see some elk. However, I wasn't looking for deer either.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thank you. I was tempted to pick up an elk tag, but really want to focus on mule deer.

I’ve grown up hunting this unit it’s a good blend of Idaho. From 11k+ mountain ranges to 5k wintering ground. To get on anything bigger than forky you are probably going to have to get high in October. buddy took a good buck at 9k last season it was a miserable pack out but fun. What did the biologists say?