Ibex in Mongolia or Tajikistan

Bugoff

FNG
Looking into what would be a first Asian hunt. Anyone have any experience on either of these 2 destinations for Ibex for a first timer in that part of the world? Have been doing plenty of research, but looking for opinions. Culture and adventure play a part. Thanks.

Mojave

WKR
No first hand knowledge. A buddy of mine went to Tajikistan a couple years ago and shot two Bukan Ibex. Another friend killed two a Gobi and an Altai in Mongolia.

It is a totally different hunt, for seemingly similar but very different goats.

From what I gather Mongolia is a Montana or Wyoming mountain hunt for Altai and Gobis are like hunting in Pronghorns at altitude or aoudad in West Texas.

Tajik and Kirgystan is hunting at 10,000-13,000 feet and freezing your ass off in the snow.

Like I said no first hand knowledge.

I have spent months of my life in the Parawan province in Afghanistan. Videos I have seen of the hunts in Tajikistan and Kyrgistan look very similar to where we were.

Did you compare trophy sizes? I think the Gobi would be the smallest and the ones in Tajikistan the biggest. Prices are cheaper in the stans.

Northpark

WKR
No idea. Wish I could help you but ibex in Asia are on my bucket list though I was thinking Mongolia for Altai ibex for me personally. Realistically I’ll probably go to Spain or turkey since I’m positive my wife will go with.

If you check out AfricaHunting.com there are a lot of international hunters over there and I’m sure some of those guys have some experience with ibex. Also the go hunt guys did a podcast on ibex and Marco Polo sheep in Tajikistan I think maybe 6 months ago.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted Ibex with my son in Kyrgyzstan, From my understanding Mongolia is going to be the most expensive, in Kyrgyzstan we used horses exclusively, in Tajikistan will be a backpack hunt. Let me know if you have questions. I felt very safe in Kyrgyzstan if that is a concern of yours I also can recommend an outfitter directly one of the other members on here hunted with him last year he might be able to relate his experience as well.

bascott1

WKR
No experience on Tajik or Mongolia. Did kyrg and highly suggest it. Booking agent I went through said Mongolia was more low land rolling mountains. Where kyrg was big scree style mountains. And I believe kyrg was significantly cheaper but don’t quote me on that. And I think kyrg has bigger billies.

Attachments

• C02172AE-4AAC-483C-B078-D248AB214444.jpeg
    C02172AE-4AAC-483C-B078-D248AB214444.jpeg
    595.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 1827675D-2D83-4198-A94D-8852D51DD539.jpeg
    1827675D-2D83-4198-A94D-8852D51DD539.jpeg
    494.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 48D3A895-2ECE-489E-8B5B-41B429188D95.jpeg
    48D3A895-2ECE-489E-8B5B-41B429188D95.jpeg
    552.1 KB · Views: 61

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I have some experience I can share with you, but I wouldn't limit your options to only those two countries.

In Tajikistan you have the Pamir ibex and the Bukharan ibex depending on location and what record-keeping organization you may belong to. You may be driving just a few hours from Dushanbe, or you may transfer to different parts of the country, some needing 18-hour transfers, like most of the sheep areas. Horses are used in Tajikistan, but not as extensively and more hiking is generally required. Quality can be good, and you can hunt the peak rut in December when your chances are higher at quality animals. On average, trophy quality is "good" not as good as what you will find in Kyrgyzstan or Kazakhstan. Although some ibex in the high 40's (or possibly larger) are taken, most will be in the low 40's. Altitudes range from about 12k up to 14k depending on area, even higher in the Pamirs and sheep areas. Pricing can be among the lowest of any Asian country for ibex starting around $6k and going up from there, but you cannot take trophies home as checked luggage, and some outfitters are more inclusive with their pricing than others. When you add $2,500 or so for trophy shipping (including USA broker fees), I think you will get a better value in Kyrgyzstan, and likely a bigger ibex. Tajikistan does offer some world-class wild boar hunting. that can be added before or after an ibex hunt.

Mongolia has Altai/Siberian ibex in the far west, Gobi ibex in the south, plus ibex found in the Hangai mountain. The Hangai ibex are sold by some companies are "big Gobi," while others sell them as a third species, the Hangai. Altai ibex average in the low to mid 40's, but there are special areas for bigger trophies if you are willing to pay a higher price. True Gobi ibex average about 35" and combine great with White-tailed gazelle, Hangai average about 40". Mongolia is a bit more expensive but pay close attention to what is included and not included with each outfitter. You will likely have you pay for additional expenses with most outfitters including domestic transfers by air or car to each hunting region, an extra cost for your rifle permit, and extra cost for the cites and export certificates, plus trophy shipping. Mongolia is a great destination, from a hunting perspective as well as a touring/cultural perspective. The altitude is lower (usually 8-10k in the Altai and even lower in the Gobi) and hunting is by 4wd jeep and horses primarily (we also used camels to pack out animals on my hunt).

Keep in mind you still have Kazakhstan to consider, which is a good option for quality ibex and maral trophies, but at a premium price point and a pay-by-size trophy fee scale. When you add up the trophy fees, trophy shipping, rifle permit, cites permit, and ground transfer fees, Kazakhstan will be quite a bit more in price, comparable to Mongolia. Generally speaking, the best ibex areas do not have good maral, and vice versa. The best ibex areas have a mid to high 40" average with trophies over 50" taken annually, but remember, trophy fees are priced by size here. Kazakhstan does offer Siberian roe deer, which can be hunted closer to Almaty if not available in the ibex area.

In my opinion having hunted most of these countries myself, I think Kyrgyzstan if a very good choice for a first Asian ibex hunt. You can take your trophy home as checked luggage and the hunt prices in Kyrgyzstan are largely all-inclusive. Quality with the better outfitters who have exclusive control over their concessions will average 45-46" with realistic chance at 50"+. Altitudes average in the 12K range, some hitting 13 feet, but you have extensive horseback use in this country. You can reach most areas in 10 hours or less by car from Bishkek.

Pakistan is another great destination for either the Himalayan or the Sindh ibex, not only for the hunt, but also for culture, touring, and country itself. This is an adventure destination, and although safe, I am not sure I would recommend Pakistan for your first Asian hunt as parts of the experience can be a bit overwhelming in certain areas. The altitudes and terrain can be extreme here and there are no horses. Instead, yaks are offered as assistance. From my experience, the yaks are easy to ride but slow. The porters will carry all of your gear on these hunts, you only need to carry a walking stick. The mountains here are the most spectacular I have ever seen.

Turkey is a great option, but increasingly expensive, and fewer permits create additional competition between outfitters at the license auctions each year. Pricing can also be very expensive as the tags for the best trophy-producing areas command big dollars. All that said, you can still find hunts priced in the teens that will give you a great experience, mature trophy 9+ years of age and a great overall hunt. Beautiful ibex, and some of the best guides I have hunted with. Turkey also has some of the best wild boar hunting and other species, but most of the other species will have steep price tags (Anatolian red deer, Anatolian chamois, urfa gazelle, etc).

Russia has Siberian ibex at attractive pricing, but I personally would avoid anything to do with this country at the time being. Because it is listed as a category 4 "do not travel" advisory from our Dept of State, you don't have the option of buying travel insurance, which is a significant risk if things change for the worse. And with financial sanctions, you won't be able to send funds to a Russian outfitter unless that outfitter has a foreign account. Furthermore, I hear trophies from the past few seasons are not leaving the country, but I haven't heard exactly why (could be due to economic sanctions?). Most importantly, I do think you would have a higher risk of an incident when in Moscow as the wrong customs officer could potentially look for any reason to detain an American. Besides, my own values won't let me patronize Putin's war effort, even on a very micro scale, but that is just me. Too bad, as majority of the Russian people and outfitters probably want nothing to do with Putin's war or the kleptocracy in power.

Azerbaijan does not have ibex, but they have Dagestan tur at pricing similar to what you are shopping for. Sadly, the country closed over covid and never reopened. This is a great hunt, and Baku is a neat city right on the Caspian Sea. If it does reopen, I suspect there will be a price spike. Only time will tell. I took my tur home as checked luggage, but this was no longer an option at the time the country closed.

Have you considered Spain? Spain is more of a gentleman's hunt, but you still earn your trophy. Fantastic people, fantastic food and touring, and you can find hunts to fit almost any budget, form $6k "any size" ibex hunts on private leases to very expensive Gredos hunts inside National Park areas for super-gold medal class trophies.

Another option I recommend to anyone who enjoys mountain hunts are European chamois. They are underappreciated and often very affordable and they make great combination hunts with other species. You can hunt them from the smallest Cantabrian subspecies in Spain to the largest, the Carpathian in Romania and often for much less than any other mountain game animal.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have specific questions.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have no advice as I havnt done this yet but I’m planning. To do a trip like this within the next few years. I don’t want to derail but what sort of short distances are you guys seeing there and what sort of cartridges and optics have you had success with?

Thank you and feel free to PM if you do t want to clog up this thread.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
On our trip Shot opportunities were between 200-600 yards. Sometimes you just couldn’t get closer. My son and I killed our ibex around 450 yards on a bipod, but that was the exception the rest of the time I would’ve used a tripod. We were using a 6.8 western, animals didn’t seem super tough. Another Hunter we were with was using a 28 Nosler.

bascott1

WKR
I have no advice as I havnt done this yet but I’m planning. To do a trip like this within the next few years. I don’t want to derail but what sort of short distances are you guys seeing there and what sort of cartridges and optics have you had success with?

There you could shoot further than you can possibly imagine. Where I was there were no trees whatsoever. So HUGE distances from what I saw. Saw a group of billies at well over 1,000 yards. Got to 700 and dropped down a ravine and back up to within 300 yards. I shot a tikka 270wsm with 130 grain trophy coppers. He dropped right there. I would suggest being comfortable out to 600-700 with the right caliber obviously.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider

The ibex I have shot ranged from 80 yards to 500+, and some at very steep angles. I shoot a .300 win mag. There are better calibers, but if you travel internationally you need to be mindful that if your rifle makes it and your ammo doesn't (which has happened to me), you may not have a hunt unless you can find some emergency bullets as there are outfitters who can't offer a camp rifle as a backup.

For that same reason, I use Nightforce riflescopes. I want to depend on my equipment and my scope's ability to hold a zero and return to zero when dialing long distances. This is especially true after four long flights with underpaid baggage handlers, rough jeep rides and slips/spills on steep slopes in remote country. A "lifetime warranty" has no value to me if the product itself cannot stand up to those conditions.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The ibex I have shot ranged from 80 yards to 500+, and some at very steep angles. I shoot a .300 win mag. There are better calibers, but if you travel internationally you need to be mindful that if your rifle makes it and your ammo doesn't (which has happened to me), you may not have a hunt unless you can find some emergency bullets as there are outfitters who can't offer a camp rifle as a backup.

For that same reason, I use Nightforce riflescopes. I want to depend on my equipment and my scope's ability to hold a zero and return to zero when dialing long distances. This is especially true after four long flights with underpaid baggage handlers, rough jeep rides and slips/spills on steep slopes in remote country. A "lifetime warranty" has no value to me if the product itself cannot stand up to those conditions.
Great info, I appreciate it. Are you saying that 300 win mag ammo is possible to source in case of an emergency while over there?

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Great info, I appreciate it. Are you saying that 300 win mag ammo is possible to source in case of an emergency while over there?
Yes, just because it is a much more common round that has been around for so many years. In Kyrgyzstan specifically, hunters often give away unused ammo to the outfitter. That way, the outfitter has a surplus they can offer someone in a similar situation.

That isn't possible in every country. In Pakistan, the authorities will count your ammo when you arrive to make sure it matches what is indicated on your weapon permit (common in most countries), but they also count your unused ammo and your empty brass when you depart to make sure the sum is the same number you arrived with. They want to make sure hunters are not "smuggling" ammunition into the country, which is laughable for anyone that knows how many illegal arms are produced in the country without much government intervention.

OP
B

Bugoff

FNG
Thank you all for your input. Mojave, your research equals mine. Truaxdw, I will start some research on Kyrgyzstan. That was not on my radar as a first time Asian hunt, but both myself and my hunting partner are experienced Western mountain hunters, although we are both getting a little long in the tooth. I understand Mongolia will be pricier, but where else can I experience fermented mare’s milk? Bascott1, thanks. Incredible pics. Alaska_bou, you are a wealth of knowledge. I will definitely look into Kyrgyzstan. Pakistan intrigues me, but I can‘t afford the divorce it would cause. I did 1 European gentleman’s hunt a few years ago and am not ready for another. That is my concern on Mongolia. It may be too much of a gentleman's hunt? Your thoughts? Thinhorn, I was recommended to bring a caliber that would be easy to find ammo for when something is lost. Notice I said when. Was thinking a 270 or 300 Win. Have both, and am comfortable out to about 700 yds With each. Figured it could be a poke.

JP100

WKR
My vote is always for Kazakhstan

I hunted there with good success(our group took 3 mid 40"s and 50" billy)

The service I saw in Kazakh was of a very high level, well organized camps, good gear and good guides.
Its not a 'gentleman's' hunt, but not an extreme hunt either. As a guide of 10+ years, I think the hunt we did would suit most 'clients' level of difficultly and adventure.
My guides were very good at judging and stalking, all of our group shot our billies inside 330 yards, and we had opportunity to talk about this with the guides before the hunt started.

We hunted with Pro Hunt Kaz,(http://safarikaz.com/) and since my hunt I have sent or know of another dozen+ hunters who have had great success with them on both Maral and Ibex
If you are hunting with a group, dont be afraid to try and negotiate the pricing with the 'pay per inch'. many times you can meet a compromise for a fixed price in the middle.

Ive seen alot of guys in Tajik and Kyrg have a bit of a 'cowboy' experience. Which can be expensive. Granted things there are generally pretty good. But the average trophy and average experience is below what is available in Kazakh

Just a side note on the long range hype that seems to be taking over mountain hunting, don't be afraid to stalk. It adds to the hunt so much, and increases your chances of a clean recovery 10 fold if your 350yards or closer

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
I have some experience I can share with you, but I wouldn't limit your options to only those two countries.

In Tajikistan you have the Pamir ibex and the Bukharan ibex depending on location and what record-keeping organization you may belong to. You may be driving just a few hours from Dushanbe, or you may transfer to different parts of the country, some needing 18-hour transfers, like most of the sheep areas. Horses are used in Tajikistan, but not as extensively and more hiking is generally required. Quality can be good, and you can hunt the peak rut in December when your chances are higher at quality animals. On average, trophy quality is "good" not as good as what you will find in Kyrgyzstan or Kazakhstan. Although some ibex in the high 40's (or possibly larger) are taken, most will be in the low 40's. Altitudes range from about 12k up to 14k depending on area, even higher in the Pamirs and sheep areas. Pricing can be among the lowest of any Asian country for ibex starting around $6k and going up from there, but you cannot take trophies home as checked luggage, and some outfitters are more inclusive with their pricing than others. When you add $2,500 or so for trophy shipping (including USA broker fees), I think you will get a better value in Kyrgyzstan, and likely a bigger ibex. Tajikistan does offer some world-class wild boar hunting. that can be added before or after an ibex hunt.

Mongolia has Altai/Siberian ibex in the far west, Gobi ibex in the south, plus ibex found in the Hangai mountain. The Hangai ibex are sold by some companies are "big Gobi," while others sell them as a third species, the Hangai. Altai ibex average in the low to mid 40's, but there are special areas for bigger trophies if you are willing to pay a higher price. True Gobi ibex average about 35" and combine great with White-tailed gazelle, Hangai average about 40". Mongolia is a bit more expensive but pay close attention to what is included and not included with each outfitter. You will likely have you pay for additional expenses with most outfitters including domestic transfers by air or car to each hunting region, an extra cost for your rifle permit, and extra cost for the cites and export certificates, plus trophy shipping. Mongolia is a great destination, from a hunting perspective as well as a touring/cultural perspective. The altitude is lower (usually 8-10k in the Altai and even lower in the Gobi) and hunting is by 4wd jeep and horses primarily (we also used camels to pack out animals on my hunt).

Keep in mind you still have Kazakhstan to consider, which is a good option for quality ibex and maral trophies, but at a premium price point and a pay-by-size trophy fee scale. When you add up the trophy fees, trophy shipping, rifle permit, cites permit, and ground transfer fees, Kazakhstan will be quite a bit more in price, comparable to Mongolia. Generally speaking, the best ibex areas do not have good maral, and vice versa. The best ibex areas have a mid to high 40" average with trophies over 50" taken annually, but remember, trophy fees are priced by size here. Kazakhstan does offer Siberian roe deer, which can be hunted closer to Almaty if not available in the ibex area.

In my opinion having hunted most of these countries myself, I think Kyrgyzstan if a very good choice for a first Asian ibex hunt. You can take your trophy home as checked luggage and the hunt prices in Kyrgyzstan are largely all-inclusive. Quality with the better outfitters who have exclusive control over their concessions will average 45-46" with realistic chance at 50"+. Altitudes average in the 12K range, some hitting 13 feet, but you have extensive horseback use in this country. You can reach most areas in 10 hours or less by car from Bishkek.

Pakistan is another great destination for either the Himalayan or the Sindh ibex, not only for the hunt, but also for culture, touring, and country itself. This is an adventure destination, and although safe, I am not sure I would recommend Pakistan for your first Asian hunt as parts of the experience can be a bit overwhelming in certain areas. The altitudes and terrain can be extreme here and there are no horses. Instead, yaks are offered as assistance. From my experience, the yaks are easy to ride but slow. The porters will carry all of your gear on these hunts, you only need to carry a walking stick. The mountains here are the most spectacular I have ever seen.

Turkey is a great option, but increasingly expensive, and fewer permits create additional competition between outfitters at the license auctions each year. Pricing can also be very expensive as the tags for the best trophy-producing areas command big dollars. All that said, you can still find hunts priced in the teens that will give you a great experience, mature trophy 9+ years of age and a great overall hunt. Beautiful ibex, and some of the best guides I have hunted with. Turkey also has some of the best wild boar hunting and other species, but most of the other species will have steep price tags (Anatolian red deer, Anatolian chamois, urfa gazelle, etc).

Russia has Siberian ibex at attractive pricing, but I personally would avoid anything to do with this country at the time being. Because it is listed as a category 4 "do not travel" advisory from our Dept of State, you don't have the option of buying travel insurance, which is a significant risk if things change for the worse. And with financial sanctions, you won't be able to send funds to a Russian outfitter unless that outfitter has a foreign account. Furthermore, I hear trophies from the past few seasons are not leaving the country, but I haven't heard exactly why (could be due to economic sanctions?). Most importantly, I do think you would have a higher risk of an incident when in Moscow as the wrong customs officer could potentially look for any reason to detain an American. Besides, my own values won't let me patronize Putin's war effort, even on a very micro scale, but that is just me. Too bad, as majority of the Russian people and outfitters probably want nothing to do with Putin's war or the kleptocracy in power.

Azerbaijan does not have ibex, but they have Dagestan tur at pricing similar to what you are shopping for. Sadly, the country closed over covid and never reopened. This is a great hunt, and Baku is a neat city right on the Caspian Sea. If it does reopen, I suspect there will be a price spike. Only time will tell. I took my tur home as checked luggage, but this was no longer an option at the time the country closed.

Have you considered Spain? Spain is more of a gentleman's hunt, but you still earn your trophy. Fantastic people, fantastic food and touring, and you can find hunts to fit almost any budget, form $6k "any size" ibex hunts on private leases to very expensive Gredos hunts inside National Park areas for super-gold medal class trophies.

Another option I recommend to anyone who enjoys mountain hunts are European chamois. They are underappreciated and often very affordable and they make great combination hunts with other species. You can hunt them from the smallest Cantabrian subspecies in Spain to the largest, the Carpathian in Romania and often for much less than any other mountain game animal.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have specific questions.
What a great and helpful write up

Suera

FNG
For first time go to Kirguistán or tadyikistan without doubt.
The best price you will find in kirguistan, amazing mountains, well organized and good quality trophies.
Tadyikistan more of the same, maybe little more comfortable and some bigger trophies and like Alaska_bou said you can combine with some of the biggest wildboar hunts on the world, very nice to hunt in stalk.
Kazakhstan the Average trophies if you go to premium areas is the best but also the price will increase a lot.
Mongolia I don't recommend, the ibex are smaller , easier for hunt and the price is high compare with the others, these ibex is more for the people that want finish his slams.
Pakistan my favorite asian country, without doubt the best landscape , impressive mountains and the most friendly people, but the hunt can be very hard on these mountains also the hit of the culture can be very strong if is your first asian country and also the price is more expensive, this is why is not good option for a first time, I recommend it for experience hunters.
Spain my country, I love it, but here is easier , the hunt it wouldn't be your lifedream hunt, here is more for enjoy with the family, make some tourism and taste our gastronomy, prices are cheaper but the experience If you are looking for a real adventure is not your choice.

aussiehunter

Lil-Rokslider
I can not offer as much as others but this October i will be embarking on my adventure for Ibex and siberian roe deer in Kazakhstan and going with the same outfitter that JP100 mentioned..Spoke to lot of outfitters , their clients, seen photos of their harvested billies and kazakhstan by far has the biggest billies taken each year by this outfitter. Everywhere else i looked average billies and not a big price difference. Kazakhstan caters to european hunters and are priced in euros.

Their Ibex area " Tastau" has really good Maral where you can combine to hunt both . I am in the process of putting money down for a maral hunt with them also.

Hopefully doing Russia for Siberian Ibex within a few years also.

Last edited: