I-Pad or Laptop for E-Scouting

tbro16

FNG
My old laptop is finally about to kick the bucket. Will be looking at buying something new in the next few weeks. I would use this device mainly for random internet cruising, E-scouting, and, if I go the IPad option, it’d be used for watching a sports game while out on the boat. I don’t work from home or use my laptop for anything important.

I’m curious, does anyone use an IPad for escouting? With all the recent upgrades in 3-D imagery with all the different angles that are available on Onx and GoHUNT, I’m wondering if I can get away with just purchasing an IPad or if a laptop is much preferred.

Thanks!

wapitibob

WKR
Buy a laptop for $700
add OnX
add GE Pro
add Mapc2Mapc; converts georef maps (ex WY HMA areas) to KML/KMZ for import into GE Pro
add Earthpoint Topo server link to GE Pro
the easy button; add treeline academy Google Earth overlays to GE

Untitled.jpg

TaperPin

WKR
My old laptop is finally about to kick the bucket. Will be looking at buying something new in the next few weeks. I would use this device mainly for random internet cruising, E-scouting, and, if I go the IPad option, it’d be used for watching a sports game while out on the boat. I don’t work from home or use my laptop for anything important.

I’m curious, does anyone use an IPad for escouting? With all the recent upgrades in 3-D imagery with all the different angles that are available on Onx and GoHUNT, I’m wondering if I can get away with just purchasing an IPad or if a laptop is much preferred.

Thanks!
You’ll miss the speed of a laptop, but it’s really nice to have a compact ipad to take on trips. However, you’ll be frustrated at times. Not all websites are iPad friendly and especially those with drop down menus or certain pop up’s, you’ll wonder what happened or why the page isn’t working correctly. Boyd’s stocks, Bruno’s shooting supplies, and barrel maker’s configuration pages never work right.

If I have both, the iPad is easier to look at while sitting on the couch, but seated at a desk I’d normally use the laptop.

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
I like my large-screen laptop for OnX and other graphic-heavy apps. Easier to see and negotiate, and the keyboard is much easier for me to use than the touch-screen pop up on my samsung pad.