I might be crazy, but......

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I got back from Wyoming on Sunday from a week long elk hunt. As was expected the weather ranged from snow to 90 degrees with spots of rain. This wasn't the backcountry DIY hunt, but a private land hunt in Unit 7. As I have a couple nice bulls for the walls, I wanted a "really big one" meaning 375+ as that would likely be the last one to mount. I would not consider myself to be a trophy hunter, but I do really like the looks of a big elk and the magnificent creature that they are. I was more than willing to not shoot anything if I didn't see one that fit the bill of what I was looking for. The only other expectation for the hunt was that it be fun.

I had a great time. I saw a very healthy population of elk with a strong age base of cows, calves and bulls. Lots of 300+ bulls and several that would have exceeded 350 and one of the big boys. The big boy was over 2 miles away on a location that I couldn't hunt. Incredible sight to see him and his harem of cows and satellite bulls. Humbling just to see such a sight. Another time, I had a 340ish bull walk by downwind at 44 yards and didn't even spook. That's cool. I had seen him coming and didn't even nock an arrow as I knew that he was a beautiful bull, but not one I wanted. If he lives, he will be a real smoker in a couple years.

Even the last day of the hunt when the weather was crappy, I still had the opportunity to see significant numbers of elk, including a couple 320 bulls that I passed on. The visual memories can't be beat. The sound of about 20 bulls screaming at each other still echoes in my ears and makes you want to go back and do it again. If you haven't had a chance to hunt elk in the rut, you really need to try to find time to do it. Just amazing.

I had a chance to try out the Kryptek and KUIU clothes that I had along. With all the diverse weather, I had a chance to use about everything. In the heat, the Tiburon is hard to beat. The Kryptek gear was impressive also as I used several Kryptek pieces, tops and pants. I had just gotten the KUIU bino holders and was very pleased with their perfomance. Really nice for crawling around and keeping the binos where they belonged.

I'm attaching one picture to give you an idea. Nice bull with a good number of cows. You don't see the 4 or 5 satellite bulls that kept annoying the herd bull. Seemed a little too green for end of September, but that's what happens after several days of big rains.

Hunts like this are what I live for.

Attachments

• IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 168

Longstride12

Lil-Rokslider
Amazing experience! Glad you had fun and maybe someday that 375+ bull will come your way. Elk truly are magnificent creatures. Jealous you got to see so many and so close. Thanks for sharing.