I got my tag in the mail!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Oooooh, you have a good tag. Best of luck and keep us up on your hunt planning, execution, etc. Archery? Rifle? Muzz?

OP
Brandon Pattison
Steep and deep is my plan as of right now. LOL

I have been trying to fight off plantar fasciitis so right now I have just gotten back into legs and lunges. I have been meaning to buy David Long's book but haven't yet. I just finished ElkNut's book but need to go over it a few more times. I am only on my 2nd year bivying it so my gear is still not up on plane yet. It is getting there though. I sure would like to have all of the best and concentrate on tactics, calling, etc.

Archery: Element RKT and Injexions (currently getting them ready to fletch). I cut off the fugly factory wraps and waiting for the Blazer wraps to show up.

I am all ears if anyone wants to tell me how to roll. I listened to Marv Clyncke's High Country Mule Deer Hunting seminar last weekend at Compton's and from what I can gather, it is a spot and stalk type hunt. That guy is tougher than woodpecker lips.

Some of the gear I hope to aquire this year are the following items (got all kinds of crap/guns for sale to fund it):
Kuiu Chugach top and bottom
Exped UL Downmat 7
Gamin 655T

Maybe next year I can get better binos, a tripod and a spotter.

I actually get to join the club!!! My limited draw Colorado Elk tag got in Tuesday!!! First limited entry tag I have had for elk here in CO...now just crossing my fingers I get to hunt other than the first 10 days!!!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
franklinmanklin
if you haven't posted over on the backpacking and lightweight gear sections your questions about gearing up, probably get the best responses over there.

As far as the hunt, as good as Colorado is, you still have to be hunting exactly where the bucks are or you'll wear yourself out in an area with no bucks and waste precious hunting days and energy. By the time you figure out there aren't deer there or deer you want, you more tired and less motivated and the negative cycle begins.

What I'm getting at is know where you are going, pace yourself, and be ready for the worst- as in maybe hunting a few days or more and not seeing much, then having to move camp a few or more rugged miles. Pace yourself if this happens. Im assuming you've got enough days to hunt (7-10). It is a daunting reality to pack in miles, get camp all set, climb for a few days to glass and realize you might need to move. This is where some hunters lose their edge and then the hunt goes downhill. Prepare for the worst, and if you hit a honey hole, life will only get better.

I'd try to have either one giant buck to hunt (if that stuff interests you) and stay with him the whole hunt OR if you don't need a deer like that, then several places within a few miles (a day?) of each other you can hunt if one doesn't pan out (as usually happens.)

You need to get David's book read and reread by your hunt as it covers this stuff better than anywhere.

God bless your hunt!