HVAC Help

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Just had a new furnace/ac units installed last night. I noticed a lot of air leaking around the seams of the duct work for the blower in the basement. I took care of most of it with the silver tape around the top in the pics. No big deal. I noticed a lot of air coming out of the seam between the upper and lower boxes (red arrows) of the unit and wondered if I should tape that off as well, or if maybe that is normal. I noticed the most it coming from around the condensate drain. There is a bit of foam around the drain, so I am assuming that is there to stop the excess air flow. Does it do any harm if I tape this too? IMG_6684.jpeg

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
By code (in most if not all areas) the seams should be sealed. That said, it's not the end of the world if it's not. I have been changing out equipment for 30 years that weren't sealed. Duct sealing didn't become a big deal (code) until 15-20 years ago with the green panic movement. Inspector should have caught that if you had it inspected. The sealed joints would be the last thing I would be worried about on an HVAC install and it's the easiest to fix.

Taping the seams is fine and will help move air to where it should be more efficiently. Should have been done by the contractor as others have said.

OP
F

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! I’ll get it taped today. No contractor involved. A couple guys that do HVAC work where my wife works, do this stuff on the side after hours. Being about half the cost of any local contractor, I kind of expected it.

TaperPin

WKR
Installers hate people to nit pick their work, but most work across the country is middle of the road.

The thing that stands out to me is a lack of thread sealant on that T fitting - worth spraying everything with some soapy water, windex or 409 to check for bubbles.

Of all my remodeling subcontractors, the HVAC guy made the most profit. He was always buying some new property to just sit on.

Although hot water heaters make the plumbers a ton of money. Lol

180ls1

WKR
I had a really good experience knocking on a neighbors door (AC/Heat truck out front) and paying him some cash as a side job to look at mine when I had some doubts. Might be worth the same to have a 2nd opinion. Like @txtransplant mentioned, you don't know what else was skipped and your contractor CERTAINLY isn't going to point it out.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
There should have been gasket or sealer between the blower unit and coil section. Just shy of calling contractor back, I would go by some duct sealer and take care of it myself. Home Depot or Lowes will carry sealer. I would not recommend that contractor. I would ?????? what else he did not do.

Marley33

FNG
Silicone would be the standard, tape is alao acceptable but not preffered cosmeticly. I often give the homeowner the option to do this type of work to keep cost down but do explain what should be done.