Hunting with a Shotgun Suppressor

Loper

WKR
Anyone shot a suppressed shotgun? Anyone have a shotgun suppressor? Anyone hunt with one?

I’m curious how effective they are and if suppressor is as useful on a shotgun as they are on a rifle. In theory, they seem great, especially for hunting waterfowl, but I wonder why they aren’t as popular as rifle suppressors are. There’s only a few manufacturers who produce them.

From what I’ve read it screws into the choke thread. Do they still pattern well? Seems like they would make shotguns longer and more unwieldy, but I would guess with a shorter barrel it would balance ok. Do they work with semi-autos or just pumps and single shots?

With the shorter and shorter wait times for a suppressor, I’ve begun thinking about getting one for a shotgun, but I feel like there’s got to be a catch, or something I’m overlooking or else more people would have them.

eric1115

WKR
I'm totally uninformed (love my rifle suppressors but never even looked into shotgun), but my first thought is that the vast majority of vented rib barrels have a sighting plane far too low for what I would assume the diameter of a shotgun can to be.

Anyone shot a suppressed shotgun? Anyone have a shotgun suppressor? Anyone hunt with one?

I’m curious how effective they are and if suppressor is as useful on a shotgun as they are on a rifle. In theory, they seem great, especially for hunting waterfowl, but I wonder why they aren’t as popular as rifle suppressors are. There’s only a few manufacturers who produce them.

From what I’ve read it screws into the choke thread. Do they still pattern well? Seems like they would make shotguns longer and more unwieldy, but I would guess with a shorter barrel it would balance ok. Do they work with semi-autos or just pumps and single shots?

With the shorter and shorter wait times for a suppressor, I’ve begun thinking about getting one for a shotgun, but I feel like there’s got to be a catch, or something I’m overlooking or else more people would have them.
Interested in this as well. Think it would be fun for a turkey gun.

Metrogun extension works great. I had one 5 years ago. The only issue is length. True shotty suppressors are great. For waterfowl hunting, they’d be awesome.

Phoenix Weaponry makes integrally suppressed shotguns. I plan on buying a 410 through them for pest control.

Bluefish

WKR
Considering shotguns are for dynamic shooting, I expect a silencer changes the handling of a gun a lot and in a bad away. With that said, I think you could design a gun/silencer system that would work. But it’s not as simple as bolting one on like on a rifle.

I have considered doing a form 1 silencer based on my 410 turkey gun. Would not be too hard to do and I expect it should work well enough. Besides shotguns are relatively quiet, low 150 db range, so they don’t have far to go to get to be hearing safe. Also they can be subsonic without any real reduction in performance.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
i didn’t think about turkey hunting, but yeah that would be awesome.

A suppressed 410 for pest control would be great too.

ElPollo

WKR
Most of the American shotgun suppressors attach via choke tube threads and add significant length and muzzle weight. Likely not an issue for turkeys or waterfowl. I’ve wanted to do an integrally suppressed 20 ga O/U for a few years kinda like the one in the linke YouTube video below. Figured I’d start with it a Yildiz alloy framed gun, but haven’t found anyone who is willing to do it.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Silencerco Salvo on an Beretta 390 with a 24” barrel. It is more of a novelty than anything, but it is fun. I hunt rabbits and small game with it, but it does make the gun unwieldy and quite heavy, throwing the balance off. Nonetheless, if does work and suppresses the shotgun to a “whoosh” sound, especially with low recoil shells.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Most of the American shotgun suppressors attach via choke tube threads and add significant length and muzzle weight. Likely not an issue for turkeys or waterfowl. I’ve wanted to do an integrally suppressed 20 ga O/U for a few years kinda like the one in the linke YouTube video below. Figured I’d start with it a Yildiz alloy framed gun, but haven’t found anyone who is willing to do it.

This integrally suppressed O/U seems great. All one unit without the last 10 inches weighing it down.

What is the process to getting barrels integrally suppressed? Is it an aftermarket thing where existing barrels are modified or are the barrels and suppressor built together?

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I have a Silencerco Salvo on an Beretta 390 with a 24” barrel. It is more of a novelty than anything, but it is fun. I hunt rabbits and small game with it, but it does make the gun unwieldy and quite heavy, throwing the balance off. Nonetheless, if does work and suppresses the shotgun to a “whoosh” sound, especially with low recoil shells.
What do you think would be the optimal barrel length for a suppressor that screws onto the end?

ElPollo

WKR
This integrally suppressed O/U seems great. All one unit without the last 10 inches weighing it down.

What is the process to getting barrels integrally suppressed? Is it an aftermarket thing where existing barrels are modified or are the barrels and suppressor built together?
I don’t have an answer for who or how to build one of these now. I think it used to be a Form 1 process to make your own suppressor. But I don’t know where that process is now. I also don’t know if that gun has baffles inside the tube, but I believe the barrel is ported from a few inches ahead of the chamber. Shotguns run at pretty low pressures, so the tube is just aluminum.

I think in that video or maybe a different one, they referred to that gun as the Drainpipe or Death. I think that is super cool and it made me really want one. I also have substantial hearing damage from shotguns. I used to shoot 250-500 rounds a year just hunting and rarely wore protection. Now I wear in the ear electronic plugs all the time.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
What do you think would be the optimal barrel length for a suppressor that screws onto the end?
Probably 18-20” would be ideal. The Salvo is modular, but in its short configuration , at 6” it’s loud, so you need the full length to be effective and an 18” barrel would be about right.