Hunting vs fishing media...

I consume very, very little hunting media. Occasionally some podcasts. No hunting TV, I don't follow hardly any hunting celebrities on FB/Insta (I do follow a few who's podcasts I occasionally listen to), and follow very few hunting specific companies.

But I watch a lot of fly fishing content on YouTube, and go to the Fly Fishing Film Tour every year.

Just realized the difference and found it interesting. In terms of days, I definitely hunt more than fly fish.

Reactions: OMF

Hnthrdr

WKR
Maybe since I hunt more than I fish, fishing media seems more innocent to me… often there is no killing involved, and fish are a far more available resource, heck we stock millions of them in every state and can grow massive crops in short order. Plus new Reservoirs are dug… I still don’t want my fishing honey holes out there, but it seems the far more innocent media wise than hunting, not like guys are tranq’ing 200 inch bucks taking a pic and then letting them go. I like watching bass and walleye videos since it’s so foreign to me being a trout guy

OP
displacedtexan
Maybe since I hunt more than I fish, fishing media seems more innocent to me… often there is no killing involved, and fish are a far more available resource, heck we stock millions of them in every state and can grow massive crops in short order. Plus new Reservoirs are dug… I still don’t want my fishing honey holes out there, but it seems the far more innocent media wise than hunting, not like guys are tranq’ing 200 inch bucks taking a pic and then letting them go. I like watching bass and walleye videos since it’s so foreign to me being a trout guy
That makes sense... I don't fish around here, trout and salt flats.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I watch more fishing because it's more available. Can fish year round. Often places I am going or planning to go have video's of people fishing there.

I can only watch so much elk or mule deer, or sheep. Things I don't relate to. Most whitetail hunters sit in luxury boxes over manicured feed fields passing up 160" deer on private farms. That's not relatable either. Finding guys like the Benoits, Hal Bloods, Salerno Bro's, Stagr, hunting public more suits my style.

But fishing, they fish the same water, throw the same lures, use the same gear. Way more relatable.

I'd hate to search insert tiny Vermont town deer hunting and see a video pop up. But, other hand, love when searching random NJ or NY lake and I see a video pop up.

Thinking about it, I fish 3x more than hunt. But still prefer hunting. It's just more available.

Dos XX

WKR
You can't stock wild steelhead. You can't stock wild brook trout. You can't stock redfish, bonefish, and other flats fish.
You can stock hatchery fish. You can stock bluegill.

WIld fish management is similar to wild ungulate management. It is often done poorly. Look into the subject of wild steelhead in Washington state for an example of poor fish management. That is only one example.

I went to the flyfishing film tour twice. I found it boring and never went back. A lot of bro uber fishing, a lot like I imagine the media from social media hunters to be.

Rich M

WKR
You can't stock wild steelhead. You can't stock wild brook trout. You can't stock redfish, bonefish, and other flats fish.
You can stock hatchery fish. You can stock bluegill.

WIld fish management is similar to wild ungulate management. It is often done poorly. Look into the subject of wild steelhead in Washington state for an example of poor fish management. That is only one example.

I went to the flyfishing film tour twice. I found it boring and never went back. A lot of bro uber fishing, a lot like I imagine the media from social media hunters to be.
They do stock redfish. trout, oysters, and clams in some areas. They been stocking tens of thousands in FL recently. Trying to get some recovery in areas that been wiped out by red tides and algae blooms.

Dos XX

WKR
They do stock redfish. trout, oysters, and clams in some areas. They been stocking tens of thousands in FL recently. Trying to get some recovery in areas that been wiped out by red tides and algae blooms.
Thanks. I wasn't aware of stocking saltwater fish. I wonder if they are hatchery fish?

Yoder

WKR
I watch more fishing because it's more available. Can fish year round. Often places I am going or planning to go have video's of people fishing there.

I can only watch so much elk or mule deer, or sheep. Things I don't relate to. Most whitetail hunters sit in luxury boxes over manicured feed fields passing up 160" deer on private farms. That's not relatable either. Finding guys like the Benoits, Hal Bloods, Salerno Bro's, Stagr, hunting public more suits my style.

But fishing, they fish the same water, throw the same lures, use the same gear. Way more relatable.

I'd hate to search insert tiny Vermont town deer hunting and see a video pop up. But, other hand, love when searching random NJ or NY lake and I see a video pop up.

Thinking about it, I fish 3x more than hunt. But still prefer hunting. It's just more available.
Another good whitetail guy is Dan Infalt. He really takes the time to teach you. He kills giant bucks on public, highly pressured land in Wisconsin.

OP
displacedtexan
Some of the films are definitely less entertaining. The events are fun. I usually wind up standing with a few friends where we can easily duck out if the film is boring. Lol

OP
displacedtexan
Another good whitetail guy is Dan Infalt. He really takes the time to teach you. He kills giant bucks on public, highly pressured land in Wisconsin.
That may be the difference...

Trout, redfish, bonefish, permit... They all live in beautiful places that I like having on the shop TV while I'm doing stuff in there.

I'm not trying to learn from them.

yfarm

WKR
Same issues facing hunting affect fishing. Increasing pressure on the resource, habitat loss. Far more sophisticated anglers, fewer places for the fish to get away. Weekends are beserk on the coast, gulf or Florida. Son did a 100 miles relay race in the keys over the weekend, said most trailered boats going by from small to large had electric reels to deep drop. Used to be you had to look for deep drop spots, now software shows where optimal habitat for a specific species is present. Was relatively rare to see a deep dropper, social media changed that. Regulators are always too late to the fish party and the populations collapse requiring years of closures to recover. That being said am not a fan of the NMFS and their “science” driven management more geared to supportingthe commercial side at the expense of the recreational angler.

Dos XX

WKR
said most trailered boats going by from small to large had electric reels to deep drop. Used to be you had to look for deep drop spots, now software shows where optimal habitat for a specific species is present. Was relatively rare to see a deep dropper, social media changed that.
Not to mention this.

yfarm

WKR
Not to mention this.

As we all know when big money hits a recreational activity thing go in the dumper. Think about if we had hunting tournaments to see how many animals you could kill in 24hrs with a payday in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Searchlight sonar systems which have a radius of a mile from surface to a thousand feet deep. Pull up to structure in the gulf, so a quick scan and move on, increasingly billfish tournaments in the gulf are won by the same 3 or 4 Texas boats. A guy from Louisiana was banned from tournaments in the panhandle as he was winning every tournament in a large outboard boat that got out faster and further than the diesel boats. Left Orange Beach ran out to deep water rigs off Texas,caught his big blue, ran to Venice to refuel and weigh in in Orange Beach on time.

Last edited:
I had a conversation about this with a buddy. I think it really boils down to what degree the viewer can relate to the content. When I watch a hunting show and they are on a private ranch surrounded by screaming 350" bulls, it seems like another planet. I find it hard to relate to. But, when I watch a film of somebody fishing steelhead in the northwest, it is much more relatable. There were a couple films showing fall steelhead on the Deschutes. I have personally fished that river and probably fished the same run. As such, I'm much more engaged with that content and connect with it more than some dude passing up giant bulls on a private ranch in New Mexico.

yfarm

WKR
We had a bay fishing tournament Saturday in Rockport Tx, close to 1000 entrants for a one day tournament, advertising was done on social media.

Rich M

WKR
Thanks. I wasn't aware of stocking saltwater fish. I wonder if they are hatchery fish?
Yes - this isn't something they talk a lot about. We've been hit pretty hard down here in some areas. They did some TV shows scattering clams and were releasing sea trout most recently.