Hunting Turkey during the eclipse

CMF

WKR
Has anyone previously turkey hunted during an eclipse? Just wondering what to expect or if it's even worth it?
Currently in Kansas and archery opens tomorrow. Plan to get out at daylight and I'd like to be out there during the eclipse, but I'm working nights so I've got to sleep at some point tomorrow.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I have no idea what hunting is like during an eclipse. I have been in two total eclipse’s. The thing I noticed was during totality, the birds went silent. It lasted about 5-10 minutes and then seemed to go back to normal. I’m guessing it will be a unique experience if you get one.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
I have no idea what hunting is like during an eclipse. I have been in two total eclipse’s. The thing I noticed was during totality, the birds went silent. It lasted about 5-10 minutes and then seemed to go back to normal. I’m guessing it will be a unique experience if you get one.
Yea, I'm curious if they'll try and roost. It won't be totality here so it may not be anything, idk. If I don't sleep through it, I'll report back...

pirogue

WKR
I remember many years ago, maybe 50 or so, and a coon and an owl were put in an enclosure to observe what they would do during an eclipse. I was at my grandparents farm and elected to play outside, rather than stay indoors to watch TV coverage. When I came back in, I asked my grandfather what did the coon and owl do when it got dark. He said “they fought the whole time”. 😂

The next eclipse is in 44 years, and it looks like Kansas is right in the heart of the eclipse. If I were in your shoes I’d be out there regardless of what the birds might be doing. And you can sleep when you’re dead.
I think it would be an awesome memory that you’d never forget; the time you were turkey hunting and the woods went completely dark for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
The next eclipse is in 44 years, and it looks like Kansas is right in the heart of the eclipse. If I were in your shoes I’d be out there regardless of what the birds might be doing. And you can sleep when you’re dead.
I think it would be an awesome memory that you’d never forget; the time you were turkey hunting and the woods went completely dark for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, that's kind of what I was thinking. I remember the last eclipse around Aug 2017, it wasn't only a partial, I was on an offshore platform in the gulf of Mexico and watched a large Blue Marlin attack a couple of Mahi, stun one of them and circle back to swallow it as it was sinking.

Peregrine

FNG
Has anyone previously turkey hunted during an eclipse? Just wondering what to expect or if it's even worth it?
Currently in Kansas and archery opens tomorrow. Plan to get out at daylight and I'd like to be out there during the eclipse, but I'm working nights so I've got to sleep at some point tomorrow.
Suppose to rain here in Alabama so… a lot of todo about nothing.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Well, we had a good hunt the day of the eclipse, but failed to bag a bird. We hunted the morning until 11 or so then spent an hour or two at the truck getting a snack and taking a break. We set up on a field in an area we've been seeing some. We heard a gobble or two before the eclipse starting happening and then things got quiet. As we sat through the peak of it, the birds got quieter and the crickets got louder, the air cooled slightly. It never got as dark as I was hoping, but it was definitely noticeable. I think for our area it was 80-90%.
As the sun started brightening up the turkeys started gobbling. We had at least 3 going and called one into within 60yards or so, but too far for the bow and crossbow the wife was hunting with.