Hunting totems

So, who keeps them and what do you keep?

I have a placard that I am filling with arrows and rifle shell casings.

saw this hanging on the wall during a recent visit to a native tribal headquarters.

”…arrows that made a good kill were hung in the teepee to bring more good luck…the hold powers to protect and bring good medicine…”

IMG_6779.jpeg
IMG_6780.jpeg

I keep the licenses and tags. If they are punched, I keep the brass shell case from the fired cartridge, and the ivories. If I recover a bullet, I keep that with the above.

I do too. All of my open tags and locking tags I keep. It’s a lot unfortunately 😂

My BIL, his brother, and their Dad (and now my nieces) each have a medicine pole hanging at their family cabin. Typically a long juniper stick from their land with unfilled tags wrapped on it or hanging from it. Some turkey/pheasant feathers and other cool stuff they find like rare bones or small sheds. Or just a bottle top from a beer had on a far away hunting trip hanging down. Fletchings, casings, flowers, etc. they got all sorts of creative stuff from various hunting and outdoor adventures. I’ve always intended to do something similar.

Swamp Fox

WKR
I keep everything, but that's a personal problem .... :giggle:

What I'm working on right now: I had an old bow spontaneously blow up on its hanger a few years ago. A Q2 that was back-up to my other Q2 ... LOL ... One of my all-time favorite bows.

Long story, but I'm not rebuilding it. It has a pretty aftermarket Torqueless grip on it that I can't get off because I used the wrong adhesive like a dummy, so it's also never going in the trash.

I plan to mount the riser to the wall and hang turkey beards from the cut-outs .... Similar to the totem arrow posted above.

To maintain artistic integrity, the beards should all be bow kills, so I'd better get cracking... There are a lot of cut-outs,,, LOL

At the pace I usually work, I'll have to live to 90, so I'm thinking about taking better care of myself ... 🙃

Lytro

WKR
I keep all my unfilled tags. I've been looking for an old Campbell's soup crock or something similar to store them in, but haven't found one yet.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
So many things, casings, elk teeth carried around and stashed, old successful arrows, recovered bullets one hanging from mirror, small antlers hanging from mirrors …anything for remembrance and good luck🤙💯 created little Jeremiah Johnson thing in yard of items found while out 👍