Hunting the mountain turkey

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hoping to find some help for my upcoming utah spring hunt. I have hunted turkeys before in missiouri and have some luck calling some in but have always failed to close the deal. Anyway I drew le utah tag and plan on hunting them in the mountains where I see them when I elk hunt, and was wondering how others have been successful hunting them there. This will be the first time my father has ever turkey hunted and I want to provide him a quality experince, so a few questions. First there are both easterns and merrians up there do I need to hunt them differently, if yes how so? Also is there an easy way to tell them apart from a distance? Second I plan to hunt them by roosting them getting there early calling to them just before fly down, is there a better way? Also Ive never hunted in the afternoon whats the best game plan for later in day. Thanks

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any one have any suggestions on a turkey calling DVD or cd to refresh my memory of proper sounds to use. Also might like to try some mouth calls can anyone recommend any? I've always used a slate call. Thanks

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok so I didnt look at the bountries very good and drew a tag in a different area than I thought. So whats the best way to scout the these birds in the spring mountains? My dad is very excited and Im very nervous about getting him a quality oppertunity. Any suggestions out therek

IAHNTR

WKR
I have used Tom Teasers mouth calls the last 2 years with great luck. I just picked up their Butt Naked Hen and Cracked Corn diaphragms. The butt naked is easy to blow and has good yelps and cutts. The cracked corn gives great purrs and kee kees.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trkyslyr thanks that thread was alot info. Im going to check those calls out thanks.Im alittle worried about taking the last week of season off but its all i could do with work

brianboh

Banned
Lost Lake custom calls are as good as they get. Joe is a World Champion turkey caller and was the editor and field producer of Turkey Call and Turley Country for the NWFT. He guides close to 50 longbeards that meet peanut oil every year. I have guided 13 so far this year and we are two weekss into the season. You can use one of his calls or design your own on his website. http://lostlakecustomcalls.com/

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well it was a great experince hanging out with my dad. It took us three hundred miles and 20 or 30 phone calls to people that may have seen a turkey there in last 10 years type of deal. At the beginning thought would be a mountain hunt hunting merrians but we ended up in the dessert chasing rio's. I would have never thought turkeys could live in that kind of country. My ol man was always moving when the birds would finally commit to coming and bust us. Went to the blind and that really forced quaility together time which was what this trip was all about.anyway. Its a great time of year for being outdoors and we saw lots of new country. My goal was to get my dad on a bird and I failed at that but man did h in e get excited when the birds got worked up and started to come. I learned a whole new respect for turkeys and the country they can survive in. We took 12 gallons of water and used it all in just three days of camping and hunting and had to leave one day early duh! We could hunt all day and i used to my advantage and glassed birds up and learned more about how they act in the desert. Found one that lived in stalkable country and killed him. Thanks everyone hope my dad can draw again soon

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
u9e8e3av.jpg
ru9y4eqa.jpg