Hunting the Big Island

Hey fellas
Wifey booked me a mandatory family vacation to the big island at the end of the month.
I killed some archery hogs in Kauai at a friend's nursery awhile back and that got me looking into DIY hunting on our trip.
I've never been to the big island, we're splitting our stay between Hilo and Kona.

I'd like to go after sheep, goats, and hogs with my rifle.
Does anyone have any advice, I'm not looking for your honey hole just some general tips on where to start, habitat considerations, etc.
The unit maps online are pretty confusing..

To be perfectly clear I do not want recommendations on places or units to hunt, I'm seeking advice on what sort of habitat to focus on such as elevation, cover, etc.

Last edited:

SouthPaw

WKR
I've only hunted it archery, DIY. The open units were archery only when I was there. They were Kona side up mid elevation, but they rotate them around so you'll need to check what areas are open when you plan to go. The regs could be different nowadays.

Same advice as you get for big game in the west...hike away from roads and you'll find game. Some areas the number of animals is plentiful, I got multiple stalks each day on goats and rams. Pack plenty of water if you're on the Kona side.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Right on
It looks like most of the Kona side is closed with the exception of a few B units thar are actually lower elevation.
Hilo has lots of open areas but I'm sure the jungle habitat will be tough based on my experience in Kauai.
The Mauna Kea unit is open and it's high elevation, did you ever venture up that way?

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
can we start removing/deleting the honey hole unit hawaii threads too plz @realunlucky
What threads would that be?
Edit to add:
Just in case you missed this see below.
Also I don't want your honey hole info like I said initially, I will add though that any specific unit info should be kept to PMs and off the open forum
Screenshot_20230511-115101_Brave.jpg

Last edited:
this one. you're asking for where to go, mauna kea unit specifics. made no mention of pm me. everything you need is in the regs. call the dofaw office if you're that confused or need to confirm if somewhere is open. they're deleting all western "tell about this unit" threads why would this one be any different.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Edit to add:
Just in case you missed this see below.
Also I don't want your honey hole info like I said initially, I will add though that any specific unit info should be kept to PMs and off the open forum
View attachment 552861
Thank you for the reminder, I'll be updating the rules to be more in line with the administrative standards.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
this one. you're asking for where to go, mauna kea unit specifics. made no mention of pm me. everything you need is in the regs. call the dofaw office if you're that confused or need to confirm if somewhere is open. they're deleting all western "tell about this unit" threads why would this one be any different.
Read the rules again and if you have a problem send me a pm and stop hijacking my thread.
I'm only interested in generic information not specific places to hunt, I mentioned said unit cuz it's high elevation and my question specifically was geared towards habitat.
I wouldn't expect any information to be posted that isn't in line with what I'd share with out of staters looking to hunt elk in Idaho where I reside.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Read the rules again and if you have a problem send me a pm and stop hijacking my thread.
I'm only interested in generic information not specific places to hunt, I mentioned said unit cuz it's high elevation and my question specifically was geared towards habitat.
I wouldn't expect any information to be posted that isn't in line with what I'd share with out of staters looking to hunt elk in Idaho where I reside.
Don’t get too spun up. The whole Hawaii hunting scene is full of rude aggressive people who hate anybody who wants to hunt on “their” islands.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Many thanks to those who PMd me basic habitat information like I'd requested, I learned a lot and found out that the prime sheep and Goat units are currently closed for rifle..
Also access is very tight on the island with many great looking areas being entirely blocked with private lands.
I managed to bag a hog with my extremely limited time to hunt, it was a great experience in a beautiful place.
Resized_20230608_174554(1).jpeg

JNDEER

WKR
Don’t get too spun up. The whole Hawaii hunting scene is full of rude aggressive people who hate anybody who wants to hunt on “their” islands.

I would like to chime in as a mainlander "haole" who took the time to read and understand the regs and PM those I knew who had the information to see what they were willing to share it with me.

Us mainlanders may view hunting Hawaii as a special hunt and could equate it to a limited entry once in a lifetime hunt where providing information could be considered to be provided more freely due to the limited availability of the mainlanders getting a chance to hunt there.

How would you feel if people blasted the forums looking for information and spots on OTC tags in your home state?? This is essentially what you are asking on a public forum- despite you asking for a specific unit or zone to hunt.

What ends up happening is a local may provide a mainlander some info and tips and they don't treat this information as GOLD (again the analogy should be considering Hawaii hunting as an OTC tag in your home state) and then give out spots to other mainlanders etc. etc.

JNDEER

WKR
I would like to chime in as a mainlander "haole" who took the time to read and understand the regs and PM those I knew who had the information to see what they were willing to share it with me.

Us mainlanders may view hunting Hawaii as a special hunt and could equate it to a limited entry once in a lifetime hunt where providing information could be considered to be provided more freely due to the limited availability of the mainlanders getting a chance to hunt there.

How would you feel if people blasted the forums looking for information and spots on OTC tags in your home state?? This is essentially what you are asking on a public forum- despite you asking for a specific unit or zone to hunt.

What ends up happening is a local may provide a mainlander some info and tips and they don't treat this information as GOLD (again the analogy should be considering Hawaii hunting as an OTC tag in your home state) and then give out spots to other mainlanders etc. etc.

NOTE- Congrats on taking a pig in Hawaii County. They are delicious!

x2
the dnr in Hi is very helpful