Hunting Public Land Oahu, Hawaii

I’d forget about the goats and focus on pigs. The other islands are better for goats by a long shot. Once you find a place keep it low key. I had some great areas for pigs back in the day, unreal hunting and never saw a soul!
I'm all in on whatever is legal to harvest, just looking for access points to get into the hunting land itself.

yeah man, I appreciate the reply. I see a couple of posts from gentlemen who seem to be having some luck, so hopefully I can connect with one of them and figure it out.

I’d forget about the goats and focus on pigs. The other islands are better for goats by a long shot. Once you find a place keep it low key. I had some great areas for pigs back in the day, unreal hunting and never saw a soul!
Disagree for here on Oahu, it is MUCH easier to find goats than pigs. Rifle/bow hunters looking for pigs are at a massive disadvantage to the guys running dogs 24 hours a day on the pigs.

Agree with aftriathlete. In addition to being easier to find, the goat hunting areas are pretty awesome to be in. Some very well earned views for sure.

Disagree for here on Oahu, it is MUCH easier to find goats than pigs. Rifle/bow hunters looking for pigs are at a massive disadvantage to the guys running dogs 24 hours a day on the pigs.
Things may have changed, but I hiked into hard to access areas, and overlooked and was covered in pigs. Had GFs in with me arrowingg them in shorts and bikini tops, miss those days.

I'm looking forward to getting up in the mountains and seeing what Oahu has to offer.

Things may have changed, but I hiked into hard to access areas, and overlooked and was covered in pigs. Had GFs in with me arrowingg them in shorts and bikini tops, miss those days.
Ha yeah that sounds like the good old days. I have been out looking for pigs, and while I see a lot of sign, everywhere there's sign there are also dog tracks. I've only been here since last July, but in the last two years here, 1) Lots of people have a lot more time on their hands than they used to; and 2) Lots more people are struggling to put food on the table than they were before. So goats are about the only thing on Oahu that aren't overhunted/overfished.

Stoked to get up there!
You make it up there yet? I'm spending 10 days in May on O'ahu and also planning on chasing some goats...
Just booked my flights, hotel, and jeep; now I'm figuring out the gear I need to get

New to Oahu and looking at chasing some goats up in the mountains. I've heard from others that you're a SME of sorts when it comes to chasing goats on Oahu. Curious on where you got starting on finding locations to access public hunting land. I've been looking through regs and doing map recon, but am having a difficult time just locating access points. Thanks
I'm in a similar predicament, pretty serious Midwest bowhunter, have done a few elk trips out west, hogs in Tennessee, etc...no stranger to hiking or walking with a heavy pack. I've got a brother/sister in law that live in Honolulu, planning a trip down either this July or next February and want to squeeze in a goat archery hunt. I've watched a few DIY videos on YouTube from some guys that have had success and I'm thinking about Waianae in the west side of Oahu. Applied today for my safety card exemption so they honor my home states card. Any advice would be well received.

Thanks.

You make it up there yet? I'm spending 10 days in May on O'ahu and also planning on chasing some goats...
Just booked my flights, hotel, and jeep; now I'm figuring out the gear I need to get
Were you able to make a hunt out of the trip? How'd it go?

Back