Hunting/PRS chassis or stock options

Having a custom rifle built and I cannot land on a chassis or stock. The build as of now is:
-benchmark MTU lite #10.5 26” (3lbs 13oz)
-Christiansen arms SA rem700 action (2 lbs)
-trigger tech trigger
-scope/rings possibly Mark5 or helos BTR (2 lbs with Hawkins ultralight rings)
-bipod (1 lb)

And that should just leave chassis or stock….

My parameters for this rifle is long range shooting, hunting, and get into PRS shooting. I am not counting ounces but I did provide rough weights because I have a target weight in mind. I would like a hunting configuration to come in around 10 lbs but with the above weights listed that may be hard to accomplish. What current weight would be ideal for PRS shooting? I currently have a lightweight tikka to fill the back country role but still would like this rifle to be enjoyable enough to grab for certain hunts. The coldness of a chassis in the mountains had me hesitant at first but I have seen a lot of carbon or rubber rail accessories out there that seem to fix that issue. Folding stock is a want and slight need, I haven’t used one in the field to say it’s a must. And lastly I’d like to have the features that are needed when shooting PRS. So somewhat of a do-it all option.

Stocks I’ve been looking at that id really like some feedback (pros/cons) are:
-MDT LSS
-MDT HNT26
-XLR element 4.0 (magnesium or regular)
-manners PRS
-KRG bravo (no folding stock)
-or just a more basic carbon stock with adjustable cheek and butt pads

Any information or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Lawnboi

WKR
A weight to shoot for if you want to be even a little competitive in prs is 18-20lbs. You’re going to be a long ways from that without a lot of weights.

You can build a crossover rifle but it will not do prs well, and learning on it in that environment will be tough.

I recommend a chassis unless you know exactly how you want the rifle to fit.

ID_Matt

WKR
I would do the element with a c6 buttstock. You can do magnesium, but I don't know that it would be worth the extra cost, since you are already going to be fairly heavy. Buy a set of rear/front weights from XLR or dependabilt and add those for competition. The others you mentioned are good but I don't think they have the same modularity as the XLR. LSS does not have a long enough forend for my taste, HNT26 doesn't have a good way to add weight. Bravo doesn't fold. Manners isn't as easy to add weight.

Justin Crossley on here just posted a good article on here about his XLR's. He does exactly what you are trying to do with one of his builds. Loads it up with weight for competition and then strips it down for certain hunts.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you are really wanting a cross over rifle you can use the Element 4.0 MG and the C6 buttstock. Then you can add weights on when you are shooting PRS. @Justin Crossley does this and it seems to work out very well for him. With that being said if you are truly wanting to be competitive in PRS then the Envy Pro will be the best chassis for you. It is 1 lb heavier but has features like the enlarged mag well, stiffer forend, and the ability to add more weight and different weights which all help you out in PRS. The weight that you want to hit in PRS all comes down to you. Some guys prefer an 18-20 lb rifle because they have trouble moving a 23 lb rifle around. I like the heavier rifle because it cuts into a bag a little better but I also don't feel like the weight slows me down.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would do the element with a c6 buttstock. You can do magnesium, but I don't know that it would be worth the extra cost, since you are already going to be fairly heavy. Buy a set of rear/front weights from XLR or dependabilt and add those for competition. The others you mentioned are good but I don't think they have the same modularity as the XLR. LSS does not have a long enough forend for my taste, HNT26 doesn't have a good way to add weight. Bravo doesn't fold. Manners isn't as easy to add weight.

Justin Crossley on here just posted a good article on here about his XLR's. He does exactly what you are trying to do with one of his builds. Loads it up with weight for competition and then strips it down for certain hunts.
What he said a little faster than me...

And that element might put you in the ballpark for NRL hunter classes without weight added.

Maybe worth considering a steel barrel you can spin on for competition and range time too.

Last edited:

Wright406

WKR
I've tried this game for a few years. After a while of not being happy with the same rifle in conflicting end goals (competitions vs hunting) I ended up building a "budget" style competition. Since practice is cheaper with a 6.5CM and ammo is available i chose to make that a trainer/comp style rifle. I primarily hunt so my high dollar stuff went into my hunting setup.

Hopefully this helps. I've been in the same position as yourself. For me it's easier to just have 2 rifles built for their direct intentions.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
There are aspects of a stock or chassis that are clearly good or inferior from a mechanical standpoint; like how high the top of the butt sits vs the bore of the rifle (higher being better IMO) and how parallel the fore-end and bottom of the buttstock is vs the bore (more parallel being better IMO). There are some that are more like shoes; does this grip put my hand in a good position vs the trigger, can this cheek rest adjust to put my face in the best spot. Then there are features, can I easily order weights to bolt on, does it have a long fore-end (or option for one), does it have an arca-rail or option for one, the list goes on and this really just scratches the surface.

All that to say, stocks and chassis's are pretty personal but some are still mechanically superior to others.

If you haven't shot competition yet, my advice would be buy what you want to take hunting - then take it to some matches. You can get the match experience and see if it's for you with a heavy-ish hunting setup. If you catch the bug, then you can decide if you want to pivot to a full on PRS gamer setup and go for the gold, or if you just like to compete vs yourself and run the rig you have. If you dive into the competition scene, a dedicated chassis for it will be a pretty small investment vs ammo, match fees, travel, and the rest of the gear you'll want.

I've had a giant pile of parts over the years, have played with most of what's on the market, and I've got a Bravo in the mail for tweener purposes FWIW. Used to be on Team MPA, still really like their stuff and run it when playing for keeps, but I want the option to hold something that isn't aluminum when hunting.

Seeknelk

WKR
Maybe compete in NRL hunter instead for practice with more realistic rifle and stage set ups. But I'd go with a chassis myself , lot of personal preference there.

I have been running a modified KRG bravo on my match rifle. I changed the grip with MarineTex to my liking, added a barricade stop, and added a little weight near the butt pad to balance out the suppressor. Total weight is 16 pounds ready to run. I also recommend bedding the KRG.

B6876C36-9CD2-4152-A47E-380BCE8663AB.jpeg

I hunt with the Benchmark Ibex stock for some of the reasons mentioned above, but it’s too light for PRS unless you’re only interested in the Hunter class. That being said depending on how much of a hurry you’re in Benchmark will have a new stock available soon that is basically a cross-over stock. It is similar to the ibex but has an adjustable cheek, forend is optimized for ARCA rail and it has a butthook as well.

OP
P
There are aspects of a stock or chassis that are clearly good or inferior from a mechanical standpoint; like how high the top of the butt sits vs the bore of the rifle (higher being better IMO) and how parallel the fore-end and bottom of the buttstock is vs the bore (more parallel being betterIMO). There are some that are more like shoes; does this grip put my hand in a good position vs the trigger, can this cheek rest adjust to put my face in the best spot. Then there are features, can I easily order weights to bolt on, does it have a long fore-end (or option for one), does it have an arca-rail or option for one, the list goes on and this really just scratches the surface.

All that to say, stocks and chassis's are pretty personal but some are still mechanically superior to others.

If you haven't shot competition yet, my advice would be buy what you want to take hunting - then take it to some matches. You can get the match experience and see if it's for you with a heavy-ish hunting setup. If you catch the bug, then you can decide if you want to pivot to a full on PRS gamer setup and go for the gold, or if you just like to compete vs yourself and run the rig you have. If you dive into the competition scene, a dedicated chassis for it will be a pretty small investment vs ammo, match fees, travel, and the rest of the gear you'll want.

I've had a giant pile of parts over the years, have played with most of what's on the market, and I've got a Bravo in the mail for tweener purposes FWIW. Used to be on Team MPA, still really like their stuff and run it when playing for keeps, but I want the option to hold something that isn't aluminum when
There are aspects of a stock or chassis that are clearly good or inferior from a mechanical standpoint; like how high the top of the butt sits vs the bore of the rifle (higher being better IMO) and how parallel the fore-end and bottom of the buttstock is vs the bore (more parallel being better IMO). There are some that are more like shoes; does this grip put my hand in a good position vs the trigger, can this cheek rest adjust to put my face in the best spot. Then there are features, can I easily order weights to bolt on, does it have a long fore-end (or option for one), does it have an arca-rail or option for one, the list goes on and this really just scratches the surface.

I've had a giant pile of parts over the years, have played with most of what's on the market, and I've got a Bravo in the mail for tweener purposes FWIW. Used to be on Team MPA, still really like their stuff and run it when playing for keeps, but I want the option to hold something that isn't aluminum when hunting.
Thanks for the advice man! I think that helps me feel more confident in a decision. What are you currently using for a hunting rig? What’s your thoughts on the aluminum chassis with rubber m-lock inserts?

OP
P
I have been running a modified KRG bravo on my match rifle. I changed the grip with MarineTex to my liking, added a barricade stop, and added a little weight near the butt pad to balance out the suppressor. Total weight is 16 pounds ready to run. I also recommend bedding the KRG.

View attachment 503484

I hunt with the Benchmark Ibex stock for some of the reasons mentioned above, but it’s too light for PRS unless you’re only interested in the Hunter class. That being said depending on how much of a hurry you’re in Benchmark will have a new stock available soon that is basically a cross-over stock. It is similar to the ibex but has an adjustable cheek, forend is optimized for ARCA rail and it has a butthook as well.
I got my hands on that proto type, felt really nice!

OP
P
I really appreciate everyone’s input. I think the strategy to build the gun more hunting oriented is the route with the possibility to take it to a NRL match. The rifle build is chambered in 7SAW, so I knew going into it that it wouldn’t be ideal for a PRS but still possible. I liked that caliber because it rounded out options in the safe, would force me to get into reloading, and would not sting so bad when/if I was to build another rifle in the 6mm size (if I get bit by that bug).

Reactions: XLR

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you are shooting matches to solely become a better hunter then build a hunting rifle! I learned more last weekend than I have in a long time because I was shooting a 12 lb 6.5 Creed! If you are a competitive person then go with the "gamer gun" but it will not help you as much on the hunting side of things. A 23 lb rifle will hide a lot of flaws in you as a shooter but it will help you climb the ladder faster in PRS. Both good and bad traits depending on your outlook!

When I was getting into PRS I went in with the mindset that I wanted to become a better shooter for hunting. So I built a 12 lb 6.5 PRC. After 2 matches my competitiveness took over and I had a 20 lb 6 BRA. Without a doubt if I would have shot the barrel out of the PRC I would be a far better shooter now than I am but I could not stand sitting mid pack at local matches! Right now I am normally sitting around 20th-30th at national PRS matches. But my gain in placement has slowed down because I rely so much on a 23 lb rifle instead of the fundamentals I would have gained by shooting a lighter rifle with more recoil. Kind of a tangent there but where I was trying to go is build the fundamentals with a mid to light weight rifle and you will become a far better shooter in the end! But know where your goals are set and look for progress in your shooting and not just your match placement!

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
A prs rig and hunting rig are two totally different animals. Weight is your friend in a prs rifle, also caliber. Prs is dominated by small 6mm cartridges that aren't suited for long range hunting.

You could use the same chassis/stock, action and optic. I would look at chambering 2 barrels. A 26'' heavy contour steel for prs and a 6.5 or larger carbon fiber barrel for lrh.

Get a chassis system that allows adding of weights. You can remove all weights for hunting and adjust weight for balance and recoil for matches.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice man! I think that helps me feel more confident in a decision. What are you currently using for a hunting rig? What’s your thoughts on the aluminum chassis with rubber m-lock inserts?
I've been hunting with a 6 Dasher in a MPA Ultralight, the Bravo will replace the MPA if I like it enough after playing with it, with the polymer vs aluminum in hand being a contributing factor.

My other hunting setup is a 22BR built on a Tikka CTR that has the CTR stock as it shows up with the fixed plastic cheek riser and vertical grip module. I did install a Limbsaver recoil pad mounted as high as possible, copied that from someone on here. I'm impressed how little it feels like a compromise ergonomically vs my MPA setups. The low recoil chambering does make ergo's more forgiving IMO.

I have no experience with the rubber inserts.

OP
P
If you are shooting matches to solely become a better hunter then build a hunting rifle! I learned more last weekend than I have in a long time because I was shooting a 12 lb 6.5 Creed! If you are a competitive person then go with the "gamer gun" but it will not help you as much on the hunting side of things. A 23 lb rifle will hide a lot of flaws in you as a shooter but it will help you climb the ladder faster in PRS. Both good and bad traits depending on your outlook!

When I was getting into PRS I went in with the mindset that I wanted to become a better shooter for hunting. So I built a 12 lb 6.5 PRC. After 2 matches my competitiveness took over and I had a 20 lb 6 BRA. Without a doubt if I would have shot the barrel out of the PRC I would be a far better shooter now than I am but I could not stand sitting mid pack at local matches! Right now I am normally sitting around 20th-30th at national PRS matches. But my gain in placement has slowed down because I rely so much on a 23 lb rifle instead of the fundamentals I would have gained by shooting a lighter rifle with more recoil. Kind of a tangent there but where I was trying to go is build the fundamentals with a mid to light weight rifle and you will become a far better shooter in the end! But know where your goals are set and look for progress in your shooting and not just your match placement!
Thanks man, I really appreciate the advice. I would def be shooting matches to enhance my hunting skill set….. buuuuuut human nature is human nature haha. for some reason PRS or any shooting match is already somewhat intimidating to me so my expectations starting out would be set very realistic!