Hunting Nevada

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
So after our first year backpack hunting my partner and I have the bug. Just not so sure about here in Cali. I have only hunted here for deer and have shot quite a few bucks over the years, but want to explore other states backpack hunting. I saw during the season some of you had success in Nevada and some of you peeked my interest with your Ruby mountain hunts. I used to go to the Ruby marsh every year n fish with my grandma and she used to tell me stories of some of the bucks she shot in the ruby's many years ago. Anyways we were talking about Nevada as a possiblitiy today, so here is my questions, is all of Nevada a draw? He said you have to purchase a Non resident liscense to get a point with no refund around $142. How many points does it take to draw the Ruby area if it is a draw? I know I can do the research but thought I would ask my fellow Roksliders.

velvetfvr

WKR
I think non residents can draw the rubys fairly easy. I know its usually has left over tags for OTC now the past couple years. Not sure because I hunt a different part of the state.

OP
T

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
Thanx velvetfvr, is it true about having to buy a liscense to accrue points, which is non- refundable?

Hardstalk

WKR
Correct. You have to apply to gain a point. In order to apply you must first purchase the license. The huntnevada.com and ndow.org should be a good reference for how many points is needed for an area 10 hunt (rubies) the draw odd calculators are good as well but im not sure if there are any free sites that offer it anymore. If your looking for archery your odds will best suited for the early season bowhunt. The late season hunts are a bit tougher to draw for archery. But if your going for rifle your odds will be pretty good as well. Ive hunted 10 6-7 times if you have any questions shoot me a pm with your number and ill help out as much as possible. Its amazing country but will take a bit of pre season scouting to narrow down quality bucks. If you know the marsh country you just have to look behind you at the highest greenest mountains and there are deer.

bowuntr

WKR
Yes, you have to buy a license to earn a point. Archery hunt is basically over the counter with leftover tags the past two years. I'd guess that you need points to draw the rifle hunt. Ed F

OP
T

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
Thanx Hardstalk, I will definatly pm you tomorrow. I look forward to talking to you. We would be going rifle. Ya, I have not been to the marsh in many years but grandma and I used to go every year for about two weeks bass fishing. We stayed with a relative in I believe it was called Shanny town or Shanty town? She had a trailer there, it was a blast as a kid.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said, you have to buy the license first/same time. But first you need to get yourself in their system. I was required to fax them my proof of hunters ED to get into the system. Then after that you have an ID in their system and you can go in an buy your license and points or put in for the draw, ect....every year. Once you buy the license its about $10 to $15 per species to put in for the draws. I put in for a few species and it runs me about $215 a year.

PhillyB

WKR
At most it will only take one point to draw a rifle Ruby's tag as a nonresident.

If you put in next year, I would plan on hunting. It is unfortunate that they give away so many tags for that area, but it almost guarantees that you will draw. This was my first year hunting it since my move from Las Vegas to Utah and I had no trouble drawing a non- res tag with 0 points.

I'll just add that you can apply every year in Nevada and opt to only buy your license if you are successful in the draw. BUT, if unsuccessful in the draw without buying your license you will not receive a point.