Hunting mule deer in North Idaho

I have always been a whitetail hunter and have hunted in many of the units in Clearwater, Nez Perce, Latah, and Shoshone. I was fortunate to draw the Unit 11 tag but didn't shoot anything. During my time on this forum and other places I have heard stories of mule deer being farther north, like in Unit 1, 2, 3, 4. I noticed there is a short antlered mule deer general season the first week or 2 weeks of November. Has anyone ever harvested one?

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t expect much on this post. Plenty of people here that have I’m sure but that herd is Beat and battered. How did u manage to eat an 11 tag?

jimmy33

WKR
I have always been a whitetail hunter and have hunted in many of the units in Clearwater, Nez Perce, Latah, and Shoshone. I was fortunate to draw the Unit 11 tag but didn't shoot anything. During my time on this forum and other places I have heard stories of mule deer being farther north, like in Unit 1, 2, 3, 4. I noticed there is a short antlered mule deer general season the first week or 2 weeks of November. Has anyone ever harvested one
There are muleys in those units. I have hunted a few of those units for many years and logged many miles in those mountains. The mule deer are hard earned in those units. Some of the areas, in my opinion, represent some of the most difficult mule deer hunting in the country. I do know of one guy who just showed up from southern Idaho and shot a nice buck with no scouting or anything but its not one of those hunts that this is generally a good idea. I also dont know anyone that will even point you in the direction of a drainage for that hunt as they have decreased the hunt by about 15 days over the last several years. Having said all that- the country is beautiful and amazing.

EdP

WKR
A buddy and I did a spring bear hunt in unit 10 a few years ago. We really like the outfitter and he does elk hunts too, but not mule deer. I looked at the data published by Idaho Fish and Game and I think the hunter success rate for the unit was something like 10%. There are a lot better places to spend your time hunting mulies.

OP
NorthIDHunter
Don’t expect much on this post. Plenty of people here that have I’m sure but that herd is Beat and battered. How did u manage to eat an 11 tag?
Oh I have been around the forum long enough to not expect or would I really ask for any specific details. Unless everyone really thinks me asking if anyone has shot a mule deer in any of those units is overstepping, than I am not sure what to think. I ate it because I wasn't prepared to shoot a dink, and also my wife was 9 months pregnant with out 3rd kiddo, with the other 2 kids being pretty young as well. Just bad timing to draw it really. If I put in and drew it now would be a completely different scenario.

OP
NorthIDHunter
There are muleys in those units. I have hunted a few of those units for many years and logged many miles in those mountains. The mule deer are hard earned in those units. Some of the areas, in my opinion, represent some of the most difficult mule deer hunting in the country. I do know of one guy who just showed up from southern Idaho and shot a nice buck with no scouting or anything but its not one of those hunts that this is generally a good idea. I also dont know anyone that will even point you in the direction of a drainage for that hunt as they have decreased the hunt by about 15 days over the last several years. Having said all that- the country is beautiful and amazing.
Someone did PM with a mountain basically, which was pretty awesome. I don't plan to really go hunting for mule deer specifically, more of a bored curiosity moment, I hadn't even looked at the regs until after I posted it. Where i always hunted down in 8 and 8a the regs are a bit different, if you want to hunt whitetail until Dec 1st you have to get a whitetail only tag, or by the general deer tag and then buy a second whitetail only tag. In a few canyons a saw a few nice mule deer but i always just had the whitetail only tag in my pocket.

Randle

WKR
I have thought about the same hunt, but i just love chasing whitetails on the ground and shoot em close

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are there I know of a 190 and 200plus set of sheds found this spring there some beauties just not many and they are hard earned 🤙

Attachments

• E49EF723-0D14-409E-A21D-8F0DDFF25BFE.jpeg
    E49EF723-0D14-409E-A21D-8F0DDFF25BFE.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 149
  • 5DB1E542-3A4C-461E-B363-63994284E83E.jpeg
    5DB1E542-3A4C-461E-B363-63994284E83E.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 150
There definitely is mule deer, but as everyone has been saying they are hard to find, I was lucky enough last year and took a 165 inch mule deer, but it took days to find them. But of u look in the timber in certain elevations yall find them