Hunting in Wyoming

Jager

WKR
Guys, just chasing a bit of info re hunting in Wyoming.

Is it an interesting state to visit on the whole or would Montana be more interesting.

I have been checking out the F+G Dept resources, appears they are certainly sorted out in that area, which is something I like to support.

Thanks for any info.

ssliger

WKR
I don't think you could go wrong either way. What animals would you be looking to hunt? Do you currently have any points?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wyoming and Montana are pretty similar of course Montana is bigger so its size provides it with little more variety. You can visit the national parks from either. Wyoming will be cheaper for hunting opportunities I would guess. Sight seeing probably depends on what you want to see and how far you want to travel to see it. Colorado is probably more interesting to drive through east to west than Montana or Wyoming if your looking for the most variety in shortest miles

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I am coming over to primarily hunt Elk, but it will be all about the experience, so sightseeing will definitely be part of the trip.

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Perhaps mate, supposed to be doing Montana this year, but may change that option.

crumy

WKR
yellowstone and tetons are very cool. but that about covers it for Wyoming. The rest of the state looks about the same. Also some good elk hunting in the NW part of the state, but you have to compete with the 4 legged predators out that way.

Jim

Yes, just not in designated wilderness areas. Which are clearly marked on your national forest maps. There are plenty of good areas to hunt in wy that are not designated wilderness. Wy is my favorite state to hunt so far and I've never stepped foot in a wilderness area. I also think they have one of the easiest game and fish websites to navigate. as well as, some of the best drawing proceedures and drawing odds for non resident tags. Making it easier to plan a hunt years in advance. I really enjoy hunting the state of wy and will be heading back this fall for my 5th time.

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Thanks again for taking the time to help out an overseas hunter, that was actually the reason I had joined RS in the first place...

I also think they have one of the easiest game and fish websites to navigate. as well as, some of the best drawing proceedures and drawing odds for non resident tags.

Flatlander51, that is exactly why Wyoming is on my radar.

All advice is treated with the respect it deserves and if I can ever help out at this end, more than willing to do so.

Thanks again

crumy

WKR
Jager - Do you have any points in WY or you doing the special draw? I am in the Southeast part of the state but have also spent some time in the NW part. There are probably plenty of guys on here with more experience but I will be glad to help where I can.

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Crumy, no I don't have any points for Wyoming as I have been planning on hunting Montana, so that's where all my research has been directed.

I discovered the special draw the other day and have just been really impressed with what I am getting out of Wyoming Fish and Game, and their site is very easy to navigate.

Thanks for the offer, as I am sure you can imagine it can be a tad difficult organising something like this, never having hunted the US before.

drake7

FNG
Trying to get on the Wyoming Fish and Game website now and am unable to. (Website issues possibly) Can anyone confirm the submission deadline for special hunt permits (draw tags) is January 31st?

weaver

WKR
What type of hunt are you wanting to do?
Archery or firearm?
Backpacking, drop camp or fully guided?

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Drake7 I am accessing it ok.

Weaver, it will be backpacking and drop camp, rifle and archery.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The northwest corner of Montana offers some excellent opportunities with rugged backdrops....shrek can speak to this area....check out Weare outfitters for drop camps...they are a well run operation that I have run into many times....one nice thing about Montana is the length of the season offered. Check out their Facebook page you may know some of the mates who came over and bagged some bulls.

Best of luck to you Jager. Hoping I will have tags to hunt both MT and WY this year myself.

Lots of guys here with more extensive knowledge of each state than I have. I've got friends that I hunt with that are residents in each state though. Be glad to try to find answers to any specific questions for you.

As far as the general question: Take as much time off as you can. You won't be sorry. Both states are incredible. Remember you'll have a fishing license too.