Hunting in smoke

trepuah

FNG
Hey all, hoping for some advice on my current situation. Opener is tomorrow and I am currently near Ketchum where the AQI is in the 300-400 range. Hoping for some advice on locating deer when vision is this severely limited. Also wondering about how unhealthy hiking is in this stuff. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• 48F31191-1C1D-424B-95E9-F6E5530118B3.jpeg
    48F31191-1C1D-424B-95E9-F6E5530118B3.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 88

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
We do prescribed fire in SC.

The animals and trees are tuned to fire.

Everything starts reacting almost immediately upon ignition even before it really gets going.

The trees take measure by puckering up and the animals are headed out of the area fast.

Last edited:
That sucks. Sorry to hear. I used to work as a woodland firefighter, and hiking in smoke never bothered me much. How unhealthy is it? No clue, but opening day is opening day, so get after it.

As for locating game in smoke, do you have a thermal? Not sure if it's legal there and I'm partially kidding, but thermal does cut through smoke and fog. I suggest still hunting in likely areas so visibility will be less impacted.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I can't even camp in heavy smoke, so I'm certainly not hunting in it. Just the smoke we got around here from Canada earlier this summer was killing my eyes, throat, and lungs even without the heavy exertion.

Weldor

WKR
The FS does prescribed burns all the time by us, does not seem to bother them much. They usually move out to the boundry areas then return.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
I won't lie hunting in smoke definitely puts a damper on things, in my experience the critters are still there but things definitely feel "off".

I would probably keep hunting but listen to your body for any unusual symptoms as you trek.

i MIGHT go out when the air is 300-400, but probably not. i spent about 8 hours sitting enjoying a music festival outside with the AQI around 150 last month and i could feel that by the time i drove home and all through the next day. if i had a bull patterned and was just sitting on the route, maybe. exerting myself? nah. my head already hurts just thinking about 300+

on the bright side, scent control won't be much of an issue.

cnelk

WKR
A couple years ago I hunted MD when it was really smoky from a nearby fire.

Everything seemed to be in slow motion. The deer werent very active at dawn/dusk, or even all day and I could only see a couple hundred yards.
Very eery. Did not shoot a deer that season

The smoke has been bad here lately, but this morning is the worst we've seen since castle rock fires 10 years ago. definitely puts a damper on glassing amongst other things.

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't go out in that. It looks pretty thick. Last time I did some hiking in pretty heavy smoke, but didn't look that bad, it made my throat scratchy. I know 'they' say its not good for you. Don't know how bad.

Tradchef

WKR
I hunt in it. We don't have a choice this time of year. You either stay home or don't go. Same as backpacking. Personally, I think it's a great time. A lot of guys opt not to hunt so capitalize on it.

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
You have no idea what the smoke particles are doing to your lungs.
It's going to be 90 degrees this weekend. Central Idaho.
Nothing will last long in this heat.

You have no idea what the smoke particles are doing to your lungs.
It's going to be 90 degrees this weekend. Central Idaho.
Nothing will last long in this heat.
Hey, it might be smoked by the time you get it all back to the truck! Rip you off a piece of jerky and head back to grab another quarter :ROFLMAO:

ODB

WKR
Just so other folks can see what the deal is. The purple in Stanley is at 500+.

IMG_5284.jpeg

Not ideal conditions for sure and they are not even close to getting those fires out.
I’d consider another unit but I know that’s not practical for some. Or maybe even another state if you got the means. I wouldn’t want to hike in that stuff …10 20 years ago I would do it but not nowadays. I remember Salmon fishing the Columbia River Gorge area during a wilderness wildfire. That was dumb as the fire was blowing from one side of the river to the other. Couldn’t hardy breathe or even see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Given the amount of particulates and the extreme deep breathing that one would do in these situations it presents a real issue even for healthy people.

Not lying i got a little depressed when the smoke rolled in yesterday…

Given the amount of particulates and the extreme deep breathing that one would do in these situations it presents a real issue even for healthy people.

Not lying i got a little depressed when the smoke rolled in yesterday…
I was out in it yesterday in Boise and had a horrible sore throat this morning. Sinuses are all messed up too.

Reactions: ODB