Hunting in grizzly country

Here's who makes it.
http://www.electrobearguard.com/
98dfc97885a797d2568044d64c329e77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
That would have to be in the news somewhere. Nobody has found anything?

I thought he was dead when I saw the first picture. Pretty tough dude.

Ray

WKR
That would have to be in the news somewhere. Nobody has found anything?

I thought he was dead when I saw the first picture. Pretty tough dude.

its not that we did not know it happened, its that the man and his son have not publicly discussed the details of the event. Seeing that they sent someone the photos and then someone else stuck them on Liveleak and other forums is all we know.

Bear maulings in AK are not normal but the media treats them as such and they end up being just blips in the news cycle.

JeremiahH

WKR
AK Trout.

I imagine you've had that UL unit in the rain and weather etc.. How does the charger/energizer hold up? Is it waterproof?
The website doesn't really specify from what I've read. How often are you changing your batteries when using?

Two regular alkaline AA batteries will last about 5 to 7 days of, pretty much, continuous use. It's all good and weatherproof although, I have had a little bit of rusting around where the probes go into the box. I've had it for over 10 years now without any issues.

Bear maulings in AK are not normal but the media treats them as such and they end up being just blips in the news cycle.

I don't disagree with this statement Ray but I will say that they are definitely not uncommon either. A few years back, I think it was '08 (bad bear year), we had close to a dozen maulings in the state with like three or four of those happening within the Municipality of Anchorage. I think there are very few, if any, years that go by without somebody getting mauled up here.

He was bear hunting with his son off the Denali highway In mid April of this year. There are two different stories floating around about how this mauling occurred. Bottom line is, he survived, and only lost his left eye. I imagine he'll be dealing with a little bit of PTSD over this for quite some time though.

Curious as to what the two different stories are?

I was there at the lodge that day, and I imagine I am dealing with a little PTSD as well. It was the most horrific thing I have ever seen in my life.

JPD350

WKR
Holy crap that is an unbelievable picture!!!

That gives new meaning to the concept of "don't give them eye contact" or "wipe that smile off of your face boy or I'll do it for you"

LOL I got a feeling that pic will be popping up in my thoughts while I am trying to sleep on my moose hunt next September, I am pretty sure I won't be sticking my face out of the tent to see whats making the grunting noises. HaHa better aware than naive!

Thanks AK!!

Mike7

WKR
I am supposed to be trained to do the initial stabilizing treatment for trauma and have seen some crazy things that get done to people by cars and other people, but that spectacular looking of an injury would be difficult to ignore initially in order to just do your job. He is lucky that he was able to maintain his airway before getting to anesthesia/surgery.

Ray

WKR
I don't disagree with this statement Ray but I will say that they are definitely not uncommon either. A few years back, I think it was '08 (bad bear year), we had close to a dozen maulings in the state with like three or four of those happening within the Municipality of Anchorage. I think there are very few, if any, years that go by without somebody getting mauled up here.

One of the ways that I discuss bears and maulings with visitors is that there are millions of man hours spent in the out of doors while bears are up and busy. If bear maulings were normal or common then there would be thousands of them a season, dozens a week if bears were a serious danger to most people while outside. Thankfully we have bear density and behavior in our favor most the time for most our activities. More people in the woods these days and more fish in streams in town the odds are going to be adjusted downward.

I am supposed to be trained to do the initial stabilizing treatment for trauma and have seen some crazy things that get done to people by cars and other people, but that spectacular looking of an injury would be difficult to ignore initially in order to just do your job. He is lucky that he was able to maintain his airway before getting to anesthesia/surgery.

I was there, and felt completely helpless. With such a traumatic injury, I didn't know what I could do to help. We knew that he wasn't going to bleed out, and we kept him upright to make sure he didn't choke on his blood. He was able to keep talking to us for the two hours we waited for the helicopter to get there. He is the toughest man I have ever met.

Mike7

WKR
Yeah, I can imagine that was difficult to watch as that is an impressive injury. The bear was probably even thinking to itself 1/2 way through the mauling, "Stay down Rocko, your done."

I don't think there is much more you could do...maybe a little intramuscular morphine if you had access to that, but you wouldn't want to give him enough to make him really comfortable, because he needed to stay alert to control his own airway. When people are conscious, they will generally assume whatever position they need to in order to breathe...which in this case was probably up and/or leaning forward a little. There is also likely nothing you can do about potential upper airway swelling starting either, until you are ready to sedate him, put a definitive airway in him, and breathe for him.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
That's the most horrific picture I've ever seen of facial damage, on a guy who didn't die. Several years back, bow hunting,(no sidearm) I got between a black bear sow and her cubs, she charged, head-on for about 35 yds., she finally pulled a turn at about 12- 15'. I still get a uneasy feeling thinking of it, or seeing pictures like this. I know it was only a black bear, but solo, it could of been ugly. That guy's will to live was/is amazing, man has got some hard bark on him...
Mike

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's the most horrific picture I've ever seen of facial damage, on a guy who didn't die...

That guy's will to live was/is amazing, man has got some hard bark on him...
Mike

Incredibly enough, this is not the first documented case of brown/grizz Bears going for the face and eyes during a mauling. Another high profile bear mauling occurred in AK during the summer of 2003. Daniel Bigley was attacked by a brown bear on a popular fishing river and sustained extensive facial injuries, and ultimately lost both eyes.

Dan went on to a school for the Blind, finished his masters degree, married and has a couple of children. He still lives in Anchorage, and is truly an inspirational person. He wrote an incredible book about his experience, "Beyond the Bear". I forget the specifics, but he talks about other cases documented where bears went for the eyes and face in his book. Highly recommended reading.

AK Troubbum,

I hope I did not miss this in the thread, but how long does it take you to set it up... Do you normally set up remote spike camp or bivy hunt and camp where you end up and setup and take down everyday..

Thanks in advance

Ray

WKR
Incredibly enough, this is not the first documented case of brown/grizz Bears going for the face and eyes during a mauling. Another high profile bear mauling occurred in AK during the summer of 2003. Daniel Bigley was attacked by a brown bear on a popular fishing river and sustained extensive facial injuries, and ultimately lost both eyes.

Dan went on to a school for the Blind, finished his masters degree, married and has a couple of children. He still lives in Anchorage, and is truly an inspirational person. He wrote an incredible book about his experience, "Beyond the Bear". I forget the specifics, but he talks about other cases documented where bears went for the eyes and face in his book. Highly recommended reading.

Me and my kid were there that saturday and sunday afternoon before the attack. Very early monday morning the grand parents on the east coast were calling my ex at O-dark-thirty to ask if the kid was safe. I got a call at 6am to check in to see if we were back home yet. ADN didn't have it up at that time and I guess it had gone out on the AP to the east coast first. Assuring the grandma on the other side of the continent that her grand daughter was safe was hard to do without coffee. The fact that I did not know that there had been an attack seemed to upset her more.

AK Troubbum,

I hope I did not miss this in the thread, but how long does it take you to set it up... Do you normally set up remote spike camp or bivy hunt and camp where you end up and setup and take down everyday..

Thanks in advance

All of the above. I've even used it to go around my tipi or tent at base camp. It takes about 15 minutes, give or take, to set up (taking it down is a little faster). It's pretty simple actually, I just stick one corner pole in the ground and then start running the braided string/wire. I have three loops tied in the string at equal distances apart from each other, so I know just how far to go before sticking the next pole in the ground. The only time it becomes a little problematic is when I'm on real rocky ground and it's hard to find a place to stick the pole in.

I was a little skeptical at first regarding how much of a punch two little AA batteries could actually put out. I had to test it out myself first time and it was very uncomfortable to say the least. So much so in fact that, I take every precaution necessary not to make that mistake again.And this was while wearing boots with rubber soles between me and the ground.