Hunting in Griz Country— handgun or bear spray?

Westy35

FNG
For ammo, monolithic copper penetrates better and tracks straighter than hard cast (my understanding is hard cast will deform and move off center more easily).

Underwood is a great option. Here is another option to consider in the mono copper category. I’ve shot this 9mm round through ballistic gelatin, and it penetrates a lot…

maverick2

FNG
Spend a bunch of time at the range and see how good you are with a pistol under the best of circumstances. And then see how good you are when things have to happen fast. Decide after that if you want to rely on the pistol as a last line of defense. For a lot of people a pistol is nothing more than effective noise maker because their chances of hitting ANYTHING is between slim and none.

kpk

WKR
I have nowhere near the experience in Grizz country as a lot of the guys on here, but here's my .02 worth of experience from my last trip to Wyoming. I carried spray and a 10mm. I would guess approximately 75% of the time - the wind was blowing so much I think spray would have been ineffective.

We ran into a lot of sign and much of it was VERY fresh. The unfortunate part of hunting those areas is that we as hunters are typically trying to sneak around heading into the wind.

Unless you’re a member of our militaries special forces you’d best be reaching for the spray first.

Most people GREATLY overestimate their ability with a pistol PLUS they fail to realize their “bear rounds” are simply pencil poking holes into the bear and hoping to hit the brain “size of your fist” or the spine.

With that said I carry both.

Best of luck!

This is where practice comes in. Don’t be fancy just get used to drawing and address the threat. Don’t over complicate the carry system and keep it basic. Speed comes with smooth practice. As long as you don’t go Alec Baldwin, you can dry fire in the mirror to get reps.

I’d opt for the handgun as long as you’re comfortable with it. I know bear spray is effective but you don’t want the chance of having to deploy it directly into the wind.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I carry both on my chest rig. Mace can be deployed with both hands but is faced for left hand and pistol is set up for my right hand. I run a 10mm with 220 grain buffalo bore.

I've deployed my mace twice in AK in previous years on fishing trips and it's done its job quite well.

OP
Lkellogg

Lkellogg

FNG
This.

I spend a fair bit of time in grizzly country these days, and I carry both. After talking with the Montana grizzly biologist for an hour and a half about this and other grizzly related matters (how to be a responsible hunter in densely populated grizzly areas - mostly boils down to common sense and scent management), I’m pretty set on having both easily accessible and defaulting to spray first. For legal and effectiveness reasons, the spray is first priority. Flick the safety off and push the button while still in the holster or cargo pocket - get the spray in the air. Also, if you have a bear being aggressive and/or bluff charging at mid-ranges (10-30 yards?), with spray, you can get some spray between you and the bear as deterrent. MUCH faster deployment than a pistol and less need for precise aim. Since most grizz attacks are surprise encounters, this extra speed matters. And, if it’s windy, in a tent, ineffectiveness if spray, or other adverse conditions that would prevent effectiveness of spray, I carry a 10mm with BB monolithic copper bullets - I think they call it the dangerous game load.

Ever tried to shoot a pistol very quickly and accurately under stress? Very difficult to do, even for the well trained. And, I do not want to shoot a grizzly unless I absolutely have to. Don’t get me wrong, I would if I thought my life depended on it, but I’m going to default to other options first if I can.

And for what it’s worth, when I get in close proximity of grizzlies (last encounter was bowhunting last fall - bumped a grizz cub at 50 yards on a ridge at 10,000ft with no sow in sight….), I tend to reach for the spray as first option. Even being within 100 yards of them when you’re a long ways from the trailhead gets the blood pumping a little bit. No problems yet, knock on wood. They are cool creatures.

Just my personal thoughts and preferences. Your mileage may vary.

Mark
I think very wise POV and similar to what I had sort of come to think after doing some research. Appreciate your perspective

Justin (Raz) Rasmussen

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Pistol for sure. I don't want to be close enough to spray a bear. I have carried it in the past but I prefer a Pistol .

Keep in mind, it is difficult not to get some of the affects of the spray on yourself. Also test it before you go.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Please do not do this. Your can of spray already has a limited amount of capacity. Testing it each time before you go just diminishes that already limited capacity. If in doubt get a new can.

Just a note about the bear spray canisters; they have an expiration date... if you have one that has expired, you can buy a new one for your trip and use the expired one for practice.

Felton

WKR
I was basically in the same boat and decide I’d feel a little more comfortable with a 40 cal over the 9.

Aim surplus has low trade ins s&w 40 for $280 or Glock 22 for $300.

Last edited:

Boltgun

FNG
When I worked in Alaska, we ran into LOTS of brown bears. Common sense helps more than anything, but it was explained to me like this:
Bear spray is nice because you can spray a bear that is nosy/maybe aggressive/curious. You would not want to shoot a bear in most of those situations. Additionally, this is why spray statistics look so good. Hippie hiker sprays curious bear, counts as a bear spray success.

A truly aggressive bear is much less likely to be stopped by spray, and may very well need shot to stop an attack.

Additionally, regarding the comments about pistol shooting under stress and/or shooting like special forces: it's like anything else. You have to train so that on your worst day you're still competent.

Alaskan Bear Joke: Know how to tell the difference between a black bear and a brown bear? If he stands up and looks you in the eye, it's a black bear and you should fight back! If he stands up and you're looking at his nuts, it's a brownie and you better play dead!

yfarm

WKR
I was on a guided horseback rifle elk hunt last fall in NW Wyoming, 630 in the morning following a trail along a creek in dense cover. Guide and 2 hunters on horseback, come around a bend in the trail and 25 yds away is a large sow and 2 cubs feeding on a 2 week old carcass, she stands up looking at the guide and he starts to yell at the sow as do the 2 hunters, she looks around and takes off with her cubs. Guide has his SW 44 mag out, says first 2 shots go in the ground the third the bear. Both hunters had their rifles in scabbards and not accessible. Realized that having the rifle with you and available for quick use are two entirely different scenarios. Every day we hunted we saw new grizzly tracks in the morning over hoofprints from the day before. Was our only encounter in 5 days of hunting

New to hunting in fairly heavy grizz country in WY. Currently only handguns I own is a .38 special and a 9mm….both of which I am fully aware are not enough gun for a griz. That being said, I’m not really able to go spend a $800+ on a handgun this year. From the forums and articles that I’ve read so far it seems to me bear spray is statistically more effective than guns anyways, so do I just take the cheaper route and carry bear spray, or would I be wise to try to find a heavier caliber sidearm before this fall?
Honestly this topic has been beaten to death in the last 6 months and there's a lot of good info in the other threads. I will tell you it's apples to apples spray vs guns and it's all about comfort. There is zero statistical advantage between the 2 if anything guns might come out a little ahead. Media and society want you to believe the spray is hands down the best option but true stats don't lie look back at some of the article referenced and make your decision based on what makes you the most comfortable. No there are not grizzly bears on every ridge behind every tree and paying attention in the Backcountry goes a lot farther than what you carry.

Grizzlies are out in the Yellowstone ecosystem... at least in the Island Park area. Already been lots of tracks noted by locals, especially down by Herriman. At least one garage broken into last week. IDFG still trying to trap that old guy. I glassed one from about 3 miles away on Monday. It is really a neat sight to see, one of these bears doing their thing in their element. That said... I've spent a lot of days and nights in Griz country during archery Elk. I've never encountered one in the woods. I know guys who have encountered them multiple times. Luck of the draw I suppose. Just be prepared, keep yourself aware of your surroundings, and if you encounter fresh sign that you know is grizzly... might be best to avoid that area for a bit if you don't want an encounter. Just play it smart. Can't see much in the pic below... but rest assured the little silver and black dot in the center is a griz. Watched him for over an hour. Just couldn't get my phone scope to take a better pic with the thermals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230511-110257_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230511-110257_Gallery.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 39

BSLugnut

FNG
I carry both!
The pistol is to be used only if the bear is on me.
The spray is used to deter the bear at a distance.
Luckily I have never had to pull the pistol from the holster.

Just as important is to bear aware. (I go overboard)
I have 3 sets of clothes, one for hunting, one for sleeping, and one for eating.
I only bring freeze dried meals, keep them in a bear can hung up.
I only eat in the "eating area wearing my eating clothes".
I also use a portable bear fence around my tent for a bit more comfort when sleeping.

For my pistol, I have a chest rig so the pistol is always with me, even when I remove my pack.
I have to bear spray holsters, one on my pack which is where the can resides most of the time.
I use the other holster that is attached to my bino harness, when I remove the pack.

It's overkill, I know, but I want to increase my chances that I will make it home to see my family.

Attachments

• WY 2016-024b.jpg
    WY 2016-024b.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 69
  • WY 2016-001.jpg
    WY 2016-001.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 67
  • WY 2016-027a.JPG
    WY 2016-027a.JPG
    626.9 KB · Views: 67
  • WY 2016-097a.JPG
    WY 2016-097a.JPG
    630.8 KB · Views: 65

Fun Guy

FNG
A female hiker was killed by a grizz yesterday west of West Yellowstone outside the park. I haven't heard yet if she had spray on her and/or deployed it. I'm Bozeman based and every year it seems Fish & Games confirms a grizz sighting in an area where they hadn't been seen previously, this year it was the Pryor Mountains. Not many ranges left in MT where you can be confident it's just black bears.

Spray is a good deterrent and I always carry it in grizz country. My pistol is with me no matter where I am, usually a Ruger LCR in 327 Federal with 130 grain BB hard cast. Six shots at over 1,200 FPS but only weighs 17 ounces and I can shove it right against Mr. Brown if I need to. A lot lighter to pack than my 10MM which I carried for several seasons before looking for a lighter and shootable alternative which still gave me a fighting chance.

Last edited:

bowkill

FNG
So I'm not a real avid gun guy. I'm pretty sure I've seen that .45ACP are slow guns but I don't see very many people even talking about them as options. Is that the reason or what is it that makes the .45 undesirable? Would you rather have a .45 or a 9mm? Just trying to learn.