Hunting ideas for a 9 year old

I am looking to take my son on an antelope hunt. What states allow a 9 year old to hunt? Also, if you have any other suggestions for out of state hunts for a child let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
At 9 your best hunt that I am aware of is Turkey. IMO that is the perfect hunt for kids learning. At 10 he can hunt deer in Nebraska. As far as antelope I think he has to wait until he is 12 in Wyoming. Not sure about other states.

Id say a baited hog hunt. Probably easy to control the environmentals, easy to do morning and evening so they don't get to bored or tired from going all day. And plenty of action.

One large negative i have grown up in the west is I haven't put tons of animals on the ground. And I have a really hard time keeping my cool, especially bow hunting.

hunt1up

WKR
I don't think you'll be able to hunt any states for antelope at 9. New Mexico is 10 I believe.

I recently booked an free range axis deer hunt for my 9 year old for next year, he'll be 10 at the time of the hunt. No minimum age in TX.

OP
M
We live in Mississippi and he has killed several deer and a turkey. I am looking to take him to hunt something he can’t hunt here if that is possible. I am hoping we don’t have to wait a few years to go out of state.

dpdub

FNG
In Wyoming you have to be 12 or turning 12 in the calendar year. I didn't think there was a minimum age in Montana?

wytx

WKR
Go down to Texas, youth hunting is very big down there and really encouraged. You might be surprised at what they could hunt with you along for pretty reasonable fees.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll be able to hunt any states for antelope at 9. New Mexico is 10 I believe.

I recently booked an free range axis deer hunt for my 9 year old for next year, he'll be 10 at the time of the hunt. No minimum age in TX.

There was an article of a 6 yr old shooting a desert bighorn in eastmans a couple years back. I’m pretty sure they don’t have a minimum age, Washington doesn’t have a minimum age, you just have to have him take hunters ed first

There was an article of a 6 yr old shooting a desert bighorn in eastmans a couple years back. I’m pretty sure they don’t have a minimum age, Washington doesn’t have a minimum age, you just have to have him take hunters ed first

Jimbee

WKR
Iowa has no minimum age as long as a kid is with a licensed adult. Not sure about non resident youth tags, but a resident youth tag is awesome. A kid can basically hunt all the seasons until the tag is filled. Youth starts in mid September, then bow, early muzzleloader, gun 1, gun 2, Late muzzleloader. Sept to January 10th for deer. (No gun season during the rut and little public land, but enough deer for easy opportunities if you're not picky.)

JM57

FNG
No age restrictions in Washington State. Just have to have passed a hunters Ed course

mcr-85

WKR
Following as I have a boy who just turned 9. I would like to take him hunting somewhere next year.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

CJF

WKR
If he has passed the hunter safety course he can get a small game license. Load up and head to Colorado and hunt grouse in the mountains (not during a rifle season)….I suggest late September when the aspens are golden. Make it a cast and blast…catch some trout too. It will get him experience in the mountains.

Wisconsin would allow deer hunting for an out of state adventure I believe, but would not be any different than your deer except bigger bodied I suspect. Bear and turkey I think could be an option but require tags to be drawn. It’s an option you could look into.

In Oregon, a 9 year old can shoot your tag if you are there hunting with him.

Good luck drawing an antelope tag in Oregon as a non-resident, though.

But there are OTC tags available for blacktail, elk, and bear, if you are looking for something new.

Last edited: