Hunting For Big Bucks

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious if mature antelope bucks stay away from the heard to survive another season. I have a hunt coming up in 2 days. There is supposed to be good age class on this unit, so far in scouting I’ve only seen young bucks, including with the rut kicking off. Seems really odd. Could be a fluke year unfortunately for me.

I’m curious if mature antelope bucks stay away from the heard to survive another season. I have a hunt coming up in 2 days. There is supposed to be good age class on this unit, so far in scouting I’ve only seen young bucks, including with the rut kicking off. Seems really odd. Could be a fluke year unfortunately for me.
From my limited experience, find the does and you should find the larger bucks. This time of year, the larger bucks will be running off the smaller satellite bucks. From what I've seen in my unit over the past few weeks, all of the smaller bucks are either solo or with another smaller buck. That being said, every group of does that I've seen have been accompanied by a larger buck.

OP
longrange13

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
From my limited experience, find the does and you should find the larger bucks. This time of year, the larger bucks will be running off the smaller satellite bucks. From what I've seen in my unit over the past few weeks, all of the smaller bucks are either solo or with another smaller buck. That being said, every group of does that I've seen have been accompanied by a larger buck.
My unit must be way down hill this year from what it’s been. Saturday I found a group of about 40 does being bred by a yearling buck. I also found another group of about 30 with two young bucks in the mix. Haven’t covered the whole unit yet but so far it’s looking like there isn’t any age class.

wyodog

FNG
Where I Hunt in Wyoming the rut is just getting going. I would would worry about it if I didn't find big bucks with the does just yet. In fact id rather find one that wasn't busy with does. Much like elk it is the smaller bucks that show up first with the does.

Tmac

WKR
Some of those big boys are not stupid. I’ve known more than one that waters with his does and then the group goes over a couple rises/hills to be out of sight of any road. You can catch them at/near water, especially if you know when they like to hit water, or if you find where they spend the rest of the day that works too. Odds are there are a few good ones around.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I have seen a big buck pull off does when he was pressured. Found him a day later laying low in a draw a few miles away.

Rut is rolling in Montana, most of the young bucks have been chased off and good bucks are with the herds. Still some scattered though and by themselves. Man I wish I had a tag this year!

Jimss

WKR
I'm not exactly sure where you are hunting but winterkill can impact the number of older age class bucks in a unit. It only takes 3 to 5 years to produce a B&C buck so they can recover fairly quickly if there younger bucks survive. If winterkill isn't a factor it often is a matter of covering lots of country and hundreds of bucks to find a whopper. The units that produce upper tier bucks can change from one year to the next depending upon conditions and other factors. Some units may never produce whoppers.

You are absolutely right that mature bucks tend to have a knack for disappearing. They often steer clear of roads and may be found in isolated areas even during the rut. Some units offer more tags than others so hunting pressure obviously comes into play. The majority of antelope hunters tend to harvest bucks the first couple days of the season. Depending upon how many tags are issued and the length of the season, hunting pressure often is reduced later into the season. Some bucks may come out of hiding later in the season.

In super dry years antelope may move long distances to where there is water and better feed. Once the snow starts to fly in October/Nov bucks (and antelope) tend to concentrate into winter herds. Sometimes they may move fairly long distances from where they are all summer.

There's a lot of factors involved in finding mature bucks and a lot can change from one unit to the next. It helps having local knowledge.

OP
longrange13

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not exactly sure where you are hunting but winterkill can impact the number of older age class bucks in a unit. It only takes 3 to 5 years to produce a B&C buck so they can recover fairly quickly if there younger bucks survive. If winterkill isn't a factor it often is a matter of covering lots of country and hundreds of bucks to find a whopper. The units that produce upper tier bucks can change from one year to the next depending upon conditions and other factors. Some units may never produce whoppers.

You are absolutely right that mature bucks tend to have a knack for disappearing. They often steer clear of roads and may be found in isolated areas even during the rut. Some units offer more tags than others so hunting pressure obviously comes into play. The majority of antelope hunters tend to harvest bucks the first couple days of the season. Depending upon how many tags are issued and the length of the season, hunting pressure often is reduced later into the season. Some bucks may come out of hiding later in the season.

In super dry years antelope may move long distances to where there is water and better feed. Once the snow starts to fly in October/Nov bucks (and antelope) tend to concentrate into winter herds. Sometimes they may move fairly long distances from where they are all summer.

There's a lot of factors involved in finding mature bucks and a lot can change from one unit to the next. It helps having local knowledge.
I think you are spot on with the winter kill. The area I’m at about half the herd are up in the pines at 8000-9000ft and don’t migrate. We usually have light winters but last year was heavy. Last season there were decent bucks all over and a couple really good ones left after the hunt. Probably counted roughly 200 head. This year I’ve found about 50 total in the pines.

I think this increased pressure in the lower country of the unit resulting in really low numbers down there too. Bad planning on the divisions part, they upped tags this year lol. Definitely disappointing on a 7 year draw tag.

They list the buck to doe ratio being 40:100. I’ve hunted hard for 5 days now. Seen about 150 total antelope, and my logged buck to doe ration is 12:100.

I’ll hunt to the end looking for that mature buck hiding out, but likely will save these small goats so the poor bastards that draw the tag next year will have a chance.

hoodb

FNG
Maybe the big antelope bucks are avoiding fights during mating season, so they're not with the herd. Keep looking, older bucks might be alone. This year could be different, but don't give up. Good luck on your hunt!