Hunting Boots for Horseback

LBuchser

WKR
Hey guys, I'm new to horseback hunting, I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as I dig more into it, but here is the first.

Does anyone suggest a different type of boot for hunting from horseback than what I generally use for hunting (ie. My various Crispis and Zamberlans). Maybe something with an actual heel? Stiff or flexible? I don't really know.

Just asking for input.

Thanks guys!

I've got a horseback elk hunt booked for 2024. I'm in the same boat as you. Rode in my kenetrek boots and they did fine. Only concern I have, is when I ride. Normally I have a slip on pair of boots on, so if I fall they come off.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I used to have wide stirrups when I hunted some late rifle seasons, so I could fit my size 13 Sorel's in them. These days, I just wear my Zamberlan boots if I'm on horseback.

What the rest of the boys said. I wear three differant types of boots to match the conditions I hunt in. The stirups need to fit them. I find the taller stirups are more comfortable for long days for me. My custom saddle came with shorter ones and my shins hurt until I tried the taller ones. Once again I see more of the shorter ones for sale. They aren't that expensive and are easy to change in most cases.

For those of you new to this, I try to not put my boot into the stirrups past the ball of my foot. When the pony goes down I want to be ready to abandon ship.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
I have done three horseback hunts. On each one I wore my Zamberlans or Crispis. No issues, but the outfitter often runs oversized stirrups.

Like @Pony Soldier I do not put my boots in the stirrups past the ball of my feet. Learned that the hard way by putting my boots in too far and when dismounting my foot wanted to stay in the stirrup. Fortunately, the horse was mild mannered and didn't move.

Deadfall

WKR
Yes what Steve said. Get oversized stirrups and wear your normal boots.
This x2. I would add oversize stirrups tgat are crooked. When on horse your foot sets flat. Great especially if wearing a stiff boot.

Absolutely stay away from anything on a saddle that is rawhide or plastic.

If using a wood stirrup wrap bottom with leather. Leather is less slick when muddy, wet or frozen.

If on guided hunt your saddle will most likely have oversized plastic stirrups. Don't be offended when wrangler/guide holds your foot in stirrup when mounting.

OP
LBuchser

LBuchser

WKR
Does it matter much if the are stiff boots vs a more flexible boot?

Contact the outfitter and ask if the saddles have “overshoe” stirrups on them which they dang sure should. I would not ride a standard stirrup with rubber soled lace up boots. A stiffer boot will be more comfortable if the saddles have a narrower stirrup hanging on them. The schee’s hunter 2 or the Hoffman guide are the best pacs for hiking and riding

I catch a horse to go to work everyday. Wore out half a dozen pair of winter pacs. As I said they completely fine IN overshoe stirrups

Deadfall

WKR
Does it matter much if the are stiff boots vs a more flexible boot?
Don't matter a bit. Only thing is. The stiffer boot will put more strain on knees because the guest saddle won't have twisted leather and stirrups will want to turn toes in towards horse. Especially if rifle is under leg