Hunters in Grizzly-Free Country - Sidearm for Archery / Scouting?

Rick M.

WKR
I am wondering how many guys hunt in areas without grizz and do or do not carry a sidearm when scouting or hunting during archery season.

If you do, what has worked for you to make it a good system? If you don't, how do you mitigate predator (human, animal, etc.) threats? Do you use bear spray? Have you just never had a reason to carry a sidearm and feel safe without it?

I am specifically speaking in terms of solo backpack hunting in non-rifle seasons. So everything from scouting to hiking to archery to camping and so on in the backcountry. I'm leaning towards carrying a Sig P365 XL with me this season, but wanted to get some feedback on others' experiences.

Thanks!

I carry a S&W SD9. Holds 17 rounds and the holster has a spot for an extra magazine. I need to figure out a holster that will attach to my KUIU pack, for the times when I am carrying a pack

Personally, if I was solo I would. I don't trust that the world is full of well-meaning people, especially if/when they outnumber me, so I would rather have it and not need it.

I am not planning on carrying one in September archery elk hunt because I will be in a group.

2RiversCO

Lil-Rokslider
Cheap bulldog works great with my kimber and so pack. Just pull it off if I drop my pack. Sits tight and isn’t in the way when using trekking poles either.

Attachments

• CB11F278-8FFF-4F9F-83A7-61C56F5DF617.jpeg
    CB11F278-8FFF-4F9F-83A7-61C56F5DF617.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 121
OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
I carry a S&W SD9. Holds 17 rounds and the holster has a spot for an extra magazine. I need to figure out a holster that will attach to my KUIU pack, for the times when I am carrying a pack
I'm hoping to find something that works with the new Stone Glacier bino harness. I'm leaning towards Razco at the moment but waiting for them to release a model that accommodates a pistol mounted light.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
Personally, if I was solo I would. I don't trust that the world is full of well-meaning people, especially if/when they outnumber me, so I would rather have it and not need it.

I am not planning on carrying one in September archery elk hunt because I will be in a group.

My sentiments exactly.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
Cheap bulldog works great with my kimber and so pack. Just pull it off if I drop my pack. Sits tight and isn’t in the way when using trekking poles either.

That looks pretty good there. The pack straps look very similar to mine on the SG Krux Evo waist belt.

BBob

WKR
Carrying a side arm for protection down here has more recently ticked up. Monkey see monkey do. Bear and lion attacks are virtually non-existent so in my mind there is no need. My circle started carrying decades ago in the southern border units when the trafficking started to get bad and encounters went way up. Other than along the border I/we don't carry but I'm seeing many these days that do though in any unit. If I'm carrying down south it's in a NW Retention Systems chest rig.

bsnedeker

WKR
P365 is a great choice. I don't have one but it's on my x-mas list! I've shot them at the range and like the ergonomics and love the capacity in that small of a package.

I always have a firearm of some kind on me every time I leave the house...grizzly country or not. The ability to defend my life from an unexpected threat is worth the weight and hassle to me.

I carry a .40 XD full length. In a serpa Blackhawk. Slides over my waistbelt strap on pack. Can quickly and easily draw and the retention design keeps it locked down while crawling through the brush.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hoodie

WKR
In my state, which is frequently referred to as a ¨predator pit¨, there has been exactly one confirmed case of either of these species (cougars or black bears) killing a human. So with hundreds of thousands of people frequenting the outdoors over the course of more than two centuries of recorded history, one lady who weighed about as much as an average 12 year old was killed by a starving juvenile cougar. The vast majority of people who have run ins with the rare aggressive cougar don´t get attacked. The folks who win the lottery and do get attacked don´t usually get killed if they fight back. A 135 lb jogger killed a cat with his bare hands last year. Small women have fought cougars off of their children.

The vast majority of people who have been attacked by cougars have been children and small women. The vast majority of cougars that attack people are starving juveniles. I am neither small, nor female.

I just can´t rationalize the extra weight for that tiny level of risk.

I think itś kind of funny that there are so many people who scoff at their odds of getting seriously ill from Covid, but give serious credence to the idea that they might get munched on by a cat. Theyŕe both highly unlikely. One is significantly less likely than the other. Itś a risk perception issue. Like people who think nothing of driving a car but have panic attacks on airplanes.

As for people, I hunt areas with low road densities and low animal densities, so I don´t bump into them regularly. I think thatś a far more valid concern and there are certainly parts of my local National Forest where I would feel better carrying. I just don´t frequent them.

At the end of the day itś about your personal risk tolerance. If you feel safer and more comfortable, you´ll probably hunt better.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
P365 is a great choice. I don't have one but it's on my x-mas list! I've shot them at the range and like the ergonomics and love the capacity in that small of a package.

I always have a firearm of some kind on me every time I leave the house...grizzly country or not. The ability to defend my life from an unexpected threat is worth the weight and hassle to me.

💯! It's on my Christmas list as well. I am still undecided on XL vs original. I think I like the trigger a bit more on the XL, but the original has the perfect size. I'll likely end up with whichever one I can get my hands on first. They are sold out everywhere.

Laramie

WKR
I carry a .40 S&W Shield in a simple nylon OWB holster. It attaches on my pack belt. I alternate every other round between hard cast and self defense ammo. Extremely rare to need a side arm against a black bear or a lion but much more likely against a 2 legged predator.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
In my state, which is frequently referred to as a ¨predator pit¨, there has been exactly one confirmed case of either of these species killing a human. So with hundreds of thousands of people frequenting the outdoors over the course of more than two centuries of recorded history, one lady who weighed about as much as an average 12 year old was killed by a starving juvenile cougar. The vast majority of people who have run ins with the rare aggressive cougar don´t get attacked. The folks who win the lottery and do get attacked don´t usually get killed if they fight back. A 135 lb jogger killed a cat with his bare hands last year. Small women have fought cougars off of their children.

The vast majority of people who have been attacked by cougars have been children and small women. The vast majority of cougars that attack people are starving juveniles. I am neither small, nor female.

I just can´t rationalize the extra weight for that tiny level of risk.

I think itś kind of funny that there are so many people who scoff at their odds of getting seriously ill from Covid, but give serious credence to the idea that they might get munched on by a cat. Theyŕe both highly unlikely. One is significantly less likely than the other. Itś a risk perception issue. Like people who think nothing of driving a car but have panic attacks on airplanes.

As for people, I hunt areas with low road densities and low animal densities, so I don´t bump into them regularly. I think thatś a far more valid concern and there are certainly parts of my local National Forest where I would feel better carrying. I just don´t frequent them.

At the end of the day itś about your personal risk tolerance. If you feel safer and more comfortable, you´ll probably hunt better.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but the same could be said for church or the grocery store or anywhere else for that matter. The chances of being victimized are extremely low, but don't tell that to the guy who stopped that attempted church massacre a while back because he was packing. I don't really care about the odds, I just care about being prepared and having peace of mind. I don't think it adds inches to my dick to carry a sidearm. It's just something that puts me at ease because I can be a pussy when alone in the wilderness.

Also, just in the past few years in Boulder county alone here in Colorado, there has been both a bear and a cougar attack. In one case, a guy was dragged from his tent by a black bear, the other was attacked by a cougar while trail running. This stuff definitely happens. Heck, a few weeks ago a guy in Provo was being walked down by an angry momma lion on a well-used trail.

I get it that some people are too bad ass for carrying a sidearm, I'm just not one of them.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Spray and a 10mm.

Spray for bears , moose, and kitty. I've never had to use it on bears or kitties. I have had to spray a few moose though.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
Spray and a 10mm.

Spray for bears , moose, and kitty. I've never had to use it on bears or kitties. I have had to spray a few moose though.
That 10mm is a beast. I remember seeing a video a while back of a guy having to kill a moose from his snowmobile. If I remember correctly he was using the 10mm Glock.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
That 10mm is a beast. I remember seeing a video a while back of a guy having to kill a moose from his snowmobile. If I remember correctly he was using the 10mm Glock.
Im glad I have never had to use the pistol. It definitely makes your ears ring and eyes go crossed.