Hunt where i found bulls?

I've used trail cameras for years. Based on information I gathered from using them and time in the woods, those bulls will be vacating that area around the third week of August. They'll be searching for cows. Cows aren't searching for the bulls. If you find cows, that's where I'd focus on.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

OP
A
The last week in Sept. and the First week in Oct. have been FIRE the last two years in Montana, that's when we do our best killing.
You find that they are pretty receptive to calls and bugles at that time as well? They are still in a peak rut usually?

OP
A
Is there a reason you’re hunting so late in September? By then your August scouting may or may not help. But learning your area and those spots is priceless.
Only time when I can get that much time off consecutively. Unfortunately

TaperPin

WKR
As you can tell from all the great advice, elk can be a little early or late from year to year, and place to place.

The elk in western Wyoming are pretty quiet by the 21st, but the week before is very active. Before the rut bulls are hanging out at a little higher elevation. Then during the rut the wallows and scrapes are down in the timber on more shaded north slopes especially wet benches with springs keeping it moist. These areas are within walking distance from the cows, but remember elk can easily travel in country that we have to really work at. Bulls in the area I’m most familiar with travel a mile or two from the wallows to more broken country that often has cows. This is where they push each other around and make all the racket, then return to the wallows in the heat of the day.

In another area I’ve seen all the elk on essentially the same elevation and rubs are scattered all around. During the day the satellite bulls aren’t traveling to wallows, but mull around and bed somewhat near the herd bull and cows. They all move around like fish, but never leave the big somewhat uniform bench.

Another area had cows and herd bulls in one wide flat drainage, and the next drainage over is where the satellite bulls hang out and go back and forth to the side where the cows are.

As others have said, find the cows.

If it makes you feel any better where I rifle hunt in western Wyoming the season starts October 15 and the bulls are always bugling. Second rut.

OP
A
Gentlemen I appreciate the input and advice. I'm blown away at the willingness to help out. It is greatly appreciated, thankyou

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Randy Newberg explains the five phases of elk throughout the year (Early Season, Pre-Rut,Peak Rut, Post Rut, and Late Season) and his explanation of them will help you make a god decision as what to do based on what the bulls are doing. He’s got some very worthwhile YouTube videos that go into great depth about this and where to find bulls based on the time of year it is that you’re looking for them. Can you go back to that spot during rifle season at all? If you don’t fill your tag with a bow, it would definitely be worth going back during their post rut recovery because clearly they find that to be their sanctuary. Im curious to hear what you end up finding out when you go back to that area in September. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you find the cows you’ll inevitably find bulls. Although it’s fun to glass bachelor groups in the summer I never pay much attention to areas unless there is a heavy cow elk presence.

OP
A
Randy Newberg explains the five phases of elk throughout the year (Early Season, Pre-Rut,Peak Rut, Post Rut, and Late Season) and his explanation of them will help you make a god decision as what to do based on what the bulls are doing. He’s got some very worthwhile YouTube videos that go into great depth about this and where to find bulls based on the time of year it is that you’re looking for them. Can you go back to that spot during rifle season at all? If you don’t fill your tag with a bow, it would definitely be worth going back during their post rut recovery because clearly they find that to be their sanctuary. Im curious to hear what you end up finding out when you go back to that area in September. Good luck!

I hope I can go back in rifle. During later season you're saying focus on those areas where the bulls are?

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I hope I can go back in rifle. During later season you're saying focus on those areas where the bulls are?

I’d say it’s worth checking out and hunting for sure. Especially if there’s a fresh skiff of snow. Tracking elk in the snow is one of my favorite things to do! If there’s no snow and it’s possible, are there vantage points where you can glass into that area where the bulls were this summer and maybe one or two other areas as well? A lot of things play into where they recover after the rut and that’s namely food, protection from hunting pressure, and water. If one or two of those change, they will adapt and move accordingly. I’ve heard of people hunting late season bulls where they have found antler sheds to good success too. I obviously don’t know your area you’re hunting, so some things elk do may differ from where I hunt, but the basic needs of elk remain the same. Good luck! Keep this post updated with what your findings are!

OP
A
Gentleman thnx again for the advice. I got back 2 days ago. It was quite the learning experience. I had alot of takeaways, some of the biggest was planning for pressure. I knew there would be some but I did not expect every campsite and trailhead to have multiple vehicles and horse trailers. I also did not check the dates that certain trails are open to motorized vehicles. One trail closed mid Sept amd that was the bulk of my hunt area I planned for. So I had to improvise and find spots on the go. I did find a large 5x5 bull and spike that were walking a ridge line nearly 1000ft above me to the back of a basin. Amd I made some poor choices and changed my mind which cost me an opportunity with that bull, But they did not seem very vocal or intrested in any calling I was doing. In all learned alot, learned a couple areas pretty well and it helped dial in my gear better.