Hunt in the rain

Thess87

WKR
I’m currently on a mountain in NM. Huddled under a tree. Today and tomorrow is supposed to be pretty much rain. How do you guys hunt in the rain or do you?

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
In western Washington if you don’t hunt in the rain you don’t get to hunt. We just accept being wet. There isn’t gear made that will keep you dry while constantly hiking, wet by sweat or rain.
This past Saturday we expected the weekend warriors to show up for archery elk and clog the gates. Because of the rain we didn’t see one other person, saw about 20 elk, and got to drop in on 2 bugling bulls. It was a great hunt, I was soaking wet, and it ended up being the best day of the season so far.

EdP

WKR
The one and only time I have hunted elk so far, the outfitter claimed elk do not move in the rain. With rain likely that afternoon, I pushed to go out anyway, and we did. It did rain and there were no elk moving nearby, but we saw a herd moving thru a park about 5 miles away and watched them move thru for about 30 min (lots of elk). I didn't shoot anything that day but we did get on that herd the next day and killed 2 bulls. It makes me think it was more about the outfitter not wanting to be out in the rain rather than the elk.

elkliver

WKR
depends on the rain. Its really hard to stay in the tent during hunting season but if its a Torrential downpour... you might as well. IF its just a little water, go hunting. A lot of cool opportunities occur when you are in the woods. Elk are still there.

Djacker

WKR
I had one of my favorite hunts in a thunderstorm. Every time it would thunder, the bulls would bugle. Rain was so heavy I could only see 30 yards.

Clayman77

FNG
I live in the Appalachian mountains . My favorite and best times hunting are in the rain . I actually plan on it . I got a good rain suit and it helps but nothing keeps you super dry .

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We hunt the rain and wind in Arizona and Mexico every time. I used to LOVE hunting the afternoon thunderstorms in the Sierras in California. Very productive.

Ten Bears

WKR
hunted this morning in that rain as mentioned in northern NM.

got into some elk..also got absolutely soaked. had to go dry out…back at it tomorrow after another huge storm coming.

Never hunted elk, but have hunted and killed a bunch of white tails the biggest ones killed were in the nastiness weather you can imagine, as stated easier to stalk and keeps your scent down, besides you can only get so wet.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
As everyone said it is great for stalking but the caveat is good luck finding animals. They will likely move less, stay hidden, and you won't be able to see shit while glassing.

Gerbdog

WKR
Ive had the same experience as mentioned above, ive been in thunderstorms that every time it would thunder real loud the bulls would bugle ....

More important than actively hunting in the rain, i also just hole up under trees, is being there when the rain ends... you wanna be on the mountain and usually near an opening with feed.... soon as that rain lets up.... those elk pour into those openings and feed, usually much much earlier than they normally would (evening)

The biggest problem with rain this time of year when it’s warm rain is wind, unless it’s pretty open where you are hunting, the wind is generally a swirling mess

I have killed elk and called bulls in the rain, but I have also bumped a lot of elk in wet weather as well. It could be different in other places, but the terrain around here is very cut up, and unless very light, any south wind (which it always is here if it’s raining this time of year) is tough, and rain makes it worse

Last year i called a bull in twice one evening in pretty heavy rain, but ultimately the wind got me

Couple years ago I called a bull into spitting distance and killed him, that one came straight in without stopping so the wind didn’t have time to swirl, but obviously can’t count on that being the case every time

I am more likely to use the rain as an observation hunt and if I see an opportunity to get one killed then I would, but the strategy is going to be different for me

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently on a guided elk hunt in CO unit 40 muzzy hunt. Last night and this morning we've had heavy showers, and lots of wind. My guide says the elk will hunker down and not say much either. Since we have a 7 day hunt, losing one day is ok. They say after the front moves thru, they're gonna go nuts.