HPG prairie belt on kifaru frame?? Does it work??

Kentucky

WKR
Has anybody modified a HPG prairie belt to work on a kifaru frame??

If anybody has a prairie belt and the time to post pics of the backside and measure the slot the stays ride in…

I need a new belt and hoping this will work!!

OP
Kentucky

Kentucky

WKR
Thanks man…I’m bummed out and relieved at same time.

The HPG prairie belt will work on Kifaru frames. You just won't be able to put the whole frame sheet in the belt. Just leave the webbing that covers the stays from attaching to the back of the frame. Then, just slide the stays into the pockets on the prairie belt.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
Kentucky

Kentucky

WKR
The HPG prairie belt will work on Kifaru frames. You just won't be able to put the whole frame sheet in the belt. Just leave the webbing that covers the stays from attaching to the back of the frame. Then, just slide the stays into the pockets on the prairie belt.

This is what I originally thought, but without having one handy…I was hoping somebody would chime in… I know there is more than one gear junkie with this stuff laying around

strongarm

FNG

@doncarpenter Tracking on this concept, but like @Kentucky don't have an HPG belt on hand to refer to. Do you (or anyone) have photos to show? Some time ago HPG in a conversation stated this wouldn't work when exploring this idea.

Curious how well heavy loads would transfer and overall stability without the whole frame sheet in the belt sleeve. Also, how would the Delta straps attach to the belt? They do help with some weight control and stability.

OP
Kentucky

Kentucky

WKR
As long as the stays are in the belt I would think load would transfer fine…

Idk if HPG belt has delta straps…I don’t really care about those anyways…

But considering that kifaru is coming out with a new belt anyways… I was gonna wait and see what that’s all about!

Last edited:

strongarm

FNG
Pieces of information shared recently included that the new Kifaru belts will be compatible with the Duplex along with a resizing to better accommodate those of us in-betweeners. They won't be available initially. High hopes this comes sooner than later as I need a couple new belts. Of current size offerings I'm squarely in no-mans-land: smaller belt doesn't wrap enough and causes pain, next size up bottoms out under load leading to slippage.

OP
Kentucky

Kentucky

WKR
Have a belt on the way… I will be able to let you guys know 100% with pics if it works or not.

OP
Kentucky

Kentucky

WKR
And here they are, very minimal permanent modification…but easy to bypass and reuse a original duplex belt… the shoulder straps are hooked to bottom of belt with an older K clip…the delta straps on an HPG belt and bag ride on top of belt vs. the low side…these could easily be hooked to a tab loop on side of frame if I wanted…

Easy project, measuring tape, sharpe knife, and a liter…

Pull the stay out of frame.

Cut a slit in the stay pocket at right height and reinsert stay.

Slide belt up and let stays rest in the belt sleeves they way HPG does…

Hooked shoulder strap to bottom side of belt with a old aluminum K clip and extra webbing…

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    582 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0773.jpeg
    IMG_0773.jpeg
    495.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0774.jpeg
    IMG_0774.jpeg
    644.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0775.jpeg
    IMG_0775.jpeg
    642.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0776.jpeg
    IMG_0776.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0777.jpeg
    IMG_0777.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0778.jpeg
    IMG_0778.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0779.jpeg
    IMG_0779.jpeg
    361.7 KB · Views: 13

strongarm

FNG
Thanks for sharing @Kentucky. "Very minimal permanent modification" is right! Keep us apprised of how that setup handles a load (weight bearing, any barreling, etc.). I've never had the HPG Prairie Belt to know how it works but have liked the design and customizability in terms of options for foam inserts, etc.

OP
Kentucky

Kentucky

WKR
I haven’t had weight in it yet, but it should barrel, and it should transfer almost exactly the same… but I will chime in once I get a load on it