HPG Highlander on a Duplex frame

LostArra

WKR
gil: the hitchhiker is noticeably larger in capacity than the highlander?
I've never handled the highlander but my impression from photos is that they were similar in size.
Good info. Thanks

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I really liked the HPG Highlander when I was packing out my bull... It worked perfectly with the SG Krux load shelf... Carried it much higher than the pics Luke posted. I however didn't like the capacity so now I'm trying the Mystery Ranch Hitchhiker for a bag... So far so good!

I hear ya on the capacity. After I started loading meat between the frame and the bag there was no real way to take stuff in and out of the bag because it was compressed so much.

As for the load riding low...its just the ribs riding down low. THe majority of the weight is pretty well centered on my back, just had no real good way to straps the ribs on except for doing that. Now if I had the EMR 2 it would have been MUCH easier to strap on the meat and ribs, but this was 2 years before the EMR 2 was released ;)

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I really liked the HPG Highlander when I was packing out my bull... It worked perfectly with the SG Krux load shelf... Carried it much higher than the pics Luke posted. I however didn't like the capacity so now I'm trying the Mystery Ranch Hitchhiker for a bag... So far so good!

Like that Hitchhiker alot. May have to get one of those to try out. Also curious if its bigger then the Highlander.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah it's definitely bigger... By how much I can't say but I can fit a Sitka 90% jacket in it that I couldn't in the Highlander plus 2 one liter gatorade bottles. So 500 cu/in? Also, the top pocket is super handy as well. It took a little more modification than the highlander but nothing a few Sea to Summit replacement ladder locks couldn't handle. I've has it in a couple late season cow hunts and it's been exactly what I wanted so far.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah it's definitely bigger... By how much I can't say but I can fit a Sitka 90% jacket in it that I couldn't in the Highlander plus 2 one liter gatorade bottles. So 500 cu/in? Also, the top pocket is super handy as well. It took a little more modification than the highlander but nothing a few Sea to Summit replacement ladder locks couldn't handle. I've has it in a couple late season cow hunts and it's been exactly what I wanted so far.

To clarify, the Highlander carries all of my day hunting gear... The Hitchhiker does this PLuS has room for a jacket/ water bottles/ 2 or 3 MH meals... I didn't want anyone thinking it would only hold a jacket and a couple bottles...

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
I've been rolling the hitchhiker around in my head for a while. I like the idea of the Stone Glacier Approach, a small daypack sized bag with a load sling, that can expand and let you stuff things behind it or act like a compression panel for a bigger load. I think the hitchhiker would be a good base for that concept on the NICE frame. I just haven't worked out exactly how I want to go about making it happen.