Hoyt vs Mathews... but not like that

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, this isnt meant to be a coke vs pepsi post by any means, i know how those discussions go and can do my own side by side shooting comparison... I currently shoot a Mathews triax, and i enjoy it, shoot okay with it, but frequently find myself eyeballing the rx7 ultra.

As an avid DIYer, i always work on all my stuff myself. What im most concerned about, if i happen to like and buy the hoyt, is the differences in working on them. Ease of tuning, timing, tweaking, shimming cams, etc. For those that have worked on both, do you have a preference? Horror stories of working on one or the other?

Thanks!

They're pretty similar.

Timing procedure is the same...watch draw stops then adjust cable twists as needed.

RX7 uses small washers ("spacers" in Hoyt's vernacular) on the axle to adjust lateral cam position. Hoyt's spacers perform the same function as Mathews' top hats, they just look a little different and are easier to drop/misplace. Hoyt's built-for-purpose spacer tool is a worthwhile investment if you'll be doing your own bow work.

Hoyt uses e-clips to secure the cam axles instead of cap screws. This eliminates the possibility of overtightening the cap screws and putting excess pressure on the cam bearing (which can happen on a Mathews and cause bearing failure).

Not a huge difference in tuning those bows, but almost different ends of the spectrum on feel.

I never cared for the Triax personally, too short even for hunting. The Ultras I have messed with are pretty easy interms of tuning, and shooting.

OP
Tjdeerslayer37

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
They're pretty similar.

Timing procedure is the same...watch draw stops then adjust cable twists as needed.

RX7 uses small washers ("spacers" in Hoyt's vernacular) on the axle to adjust lateral cam position. Hoyt's spacers perform the same function as Mathews' top hats, they just look a little different and are easier to drop/misplace. Hoyt's built-for-purpose spacer tool is a worthwhile investment if you'll be doing your own bow work.

Hoyt uses e-clips to secure the cam axles instead of cap screws. This eliminates the possibility of overtightening the cap screws and putting excess pressure on the cam bearing (which can happen on a Mathews and cause bearing failure).
Exactly the info i wanted, thank you!

OP
Tjdeerslayer37

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Not a huge difference in tuning those bows, but almost different ends of the spectrum on feel.

I never cared for the Triax personally, too short even for hunting. The Ultras I have messed with are pretty easy interms of tuning, and shooting.
yeah i find it too short also, bit twitchy. im not an awesome shooter as it is, but i feel i could be better with a bit more ATA length. I won the bow in a raffle though so i cant complain too much lol

Yooper

WKR
I've owned both. Most recently a V3X 33 and currently own an RX7U. I do my own tuning. Own a press, tools, etc. No real need to ever visit a proshop unless I need supplies. Anyway, I'll say for me there's no real difference in working on these. Both have their pros/cons. Tophats are pretty easy and straight forward but you have to be really cautious on your limb tip pressure with your press so you're not trying to force your bolts back through. With the Hoyt you need to be mindful of the eclips and the smaller pieces. So to me it's a toss up. I will say though in my experience the Hoyt was easier and just held a tune better than my Mathews. Can't really go wrong with a top end bow from either of those companies.

SloppyJ

WKR
Working on a VX3 and most recently I got a RX7 Ultra. They are almost identical in terms of adjusting them.

IMO, the only way you get away from that is if you go to a bow with an adjustment system on it like Bowtech.

Hey guys, this isnt meant to be a coke vs pepsi post by any means, i know how those discussions go and can do my own side by side shooting comparison... I currently shoot a Mathews triax, and i enjoy it, shoot okay with it, but frequently find myself eyeballing the rx7 ultra.

As an avid DIYer, i always work on all my stuff myself. What im most concerned about, if i happen to like and buy the hoyt, is the differences in working on them. Ease of tuning, timing, tweaking, shimming cams, etc. For those that have worked on both, do you have a preference? Horror stories of working on one or the other?

Thanks!
I think the Hoyts are more adjustable and perceived as more "tunable" by a little bit, but the Mathews literally took 2 shots to tune.

If you have an RX7 or VTM and you're using a Hamskea Epsilon, its a nightmare to get into the set screws to make rest adjustments. When broadhead tuning this bothered me as I was short on time and didnt like taking the rest off so I could then adjust the left right, etc.

Thanks!
If your concerned about diy tunability avoid them both and go with elite or bowtech. They have pressless tuning and cam timing adjustment.

Reactions: Zac
Mathews seem a lot less finicky to me. 13/16 arrow through the Berger and that should get you very close. I shot all the new bows this summer and definitely don't think the rx7 is worth 2k out the door. Triax might be rough at a longer dl but nothing's really changed the past 5-6 years in terms of bow specs

If your concerned about diy tunability avoid them both and go with elite or bowtech. They have pressless tuning and cam timing adjustment.
Cam lean/lateral position on newer Bowtechs and Elites can be adjusted without a press for tuning in the horizontal direction. However, those bows still require a press to adjust cam timing for tuning in the vertical direction.

Matt G.

WKR
I just got the vtm 34. The shim tuning is pretty easy based on my experience with shooting Elites for last 14 years If you have the lca press the watch out is the hbx cam and metal post that holds the pin fingers to press. LcA just came out with a longer pin that should allow you to avoid hitting but keep checking to avoid pressing cam against metal.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk