Hoyt RX-1 vs RX-7

I’m currently hunting with RX-1 35” axle to axle 60-70# limbs. What would I gain by moving up to a RX-7 Ultra with 34” axle to axle 60-70# limbs?
Seriously I would prefer 70-80# limbs

Bob

Bergy-Bowsmith

Lil-Rokslider
The rx-7 is much quieter then the rx-1 in general . Plus you'd be moving to a 3track cam system , which depending on how high quality your strings are. Means less maintained to keep everything in spec ( imo It's easier to tune up and keep 3 tracks in spec)

But other then over all noise , and maybe a little pick up in speed you won't be gaining a whole lot on the stability or forgiveness front imo.

LFC911

WKR
I've had several RX-1's and was in the same boat as you, wanting a newer RX Ultra. I sold my last RX1, which was a great bow, on ebay for $630 over the winter and bought a used RX5 Ultra for $700. I put a new set of strings and a set of gen 2 go stix it and it shoots lights out. The reason i got the 5 is that i wasn't going to spend the $ for the 7 or 8.

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
Not directly responsive to you, but I had an RX3Ultra, sold it, and now have an RX7Ultra. The newer Hoyts are quite a lot easier to draw, quieter (per above post), and great shooters. Maybe your shoulders are getting younger, but mine aren't, and I really appreciate the kinder-gentler cam system. Generally speaking, with the new Hoyts, they feel five to ten pounds less in draw weight than they actually pull.

I'm currently shooting an RX-7 Ultra at 80# (34ata of course). My DL is 30" which put me at the top of the cam, you need to see where your DL sits for each mod. This will determine how much it could potentially feel like your pulling back. My draw cycle is still very smooth and consistent, even at that draw weight and length. I don't like a variable draw that ramps up. When I first purchased the bow, I was setup at 29.5"DL. It felt easier to draw back and more like 75# instead of 80#, but I gained about 10fps and felt more comfortable at 30"DL.

I went with 80# because I'm using an Option Archery 4 sight. The sight housing is fixed with a sliding pin and 3 fixed pins. With the sight housing being fixed and not sliding like most adjustable sights, I needed more fps to shoot longer distance sight tapes. I'm at 300fps with 463gr arrow to reach a max sight tape yardage of 95yds.

If I was using a different sight, with sliding sight housing, I would probably shoot 70#limbs and 450gr arrow to be around 285-290fps. This would allow me to use just about any fixed BH and not just mechanicals.

If I could do it over, I would probably set my bow up to the arrow speed/weight I wanted then decide on sight housing, and finally what axle to axle would get me the best draw and still be forgiving while meeting the criteria for arrow speed/weight.

With all my ramblings complete, if you still want a 34" axle to axle bow the RX-7 Ultra is butter smooth, even at 80#. My experience is, its the smoothest 80# bow on the market. Keep in mind it is nowhere near the fastest IBO bow on the market. The RX-7 Ultra will shoot arrows faster than your old RX-1 and potentially have a smoother draw cycle though. I'm betting it will, but is the juice worth the squeeze? Would a smaller ata fit your needs better? Such as a 33"ata or even a 30"?

nphunter

WKR
I’m currently hunting with RX-1 35” axle to axle 60-70# limbs. What would I gain by moving up to a RX-7 Ultra with 34” axle to axle 60-70# limbs?

Bob

If I were in the market for a new bow I'd give the Mach 34 a really hard look. I've owned several Hoyt Carbons and recently switched over to the Mach 34. The PSE tunes easier, holds better, draws smoother and is faster than my last RX4. I didn't go with the Ultra because at my 27.5"-28" Draw length, the Ultras were too slow and as heavy as a lot of aluminum bows, I wanted a longer ATA and after shooting some RX7 Ultras and seeing the speeds and my draw length I started looking elsewhere. The only way I would have been able to achieve the same speeds with the RX7/8 Ultra is if I shot it at 85lbs vs Mach 34 at 73lbs.

I've shot Hoyt almost exclusively since 2009 and have been shooting a carbon hoyt since 2013. They treated me well but I wish I would have made the switch a couple of years ago, the Mach 34 blows them out of the water.

OP
BighornBob
For me there is no option. I have never killed with anything but a Hoyt. I’m 63 and don’t have any desire to change now. I’ve been bow hunting since I was 16 years old. Started out with a Bear Alaskan. Went to Hoyt after that and never looked back.

Bob

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider

Bob
If you have a shop to test one out, that’d be easiest to see if it’s worth it to you. It will be very familiar and likely more refined comparatively.

I’ve had a few different carbon Hoyt’s and have really enjoyed the draw cycle and feel for what they provided (Carbon Defiant 34, RX-4 Ultra, RX-7 Ultra) versus other flagships at the time (that was against some nice options with the Mathews V3 and PSE Levitate). None of them felt bad, just preference for me in the way the Hoyt felt overall. PSE was super light, like a toy, but shot well, and the Mathews was faster than the Hoyt, but felt more aggressive in the draw cycle.

I’m at a 29” draw and like the longer axle-to-axle bows. I haven’t had as much time in with the RX7, and it’s my first 70-80lb bow (others were 60-70lb limbs). The draw cycle is noticeably smoother and as others mentioned feels like pulling about 5lbs lighter. I originally shot it at 80lbs and backed it down to ~73lbs right now. 80lbs is doable, but since I’m not used to it at that weight, I wasn’t getting as many reps in with it to get comfortable…will likely adjust incrementally back up with more time behind it. Ironically, the past few hunts I went on, I still grabbed my RX4, because I’m so used to shooting it with my sight tape fully on at various ranges, that I had greater confidence taking it on the hunts. As I get more practice in, I will transition to the RX7 fully as my go to bow.

In terms of what you will notice/get over your RX1…new full carbon riser versus aluminum transition ends (not that this ever caused an issue with mine), inline picatiny mounting for drop away rest and sight mounting (this does feel more ergonomically correct as you get behind the bow but costs extra to take advantage of), the stubby stabilizer at the bottom balances the bow (allows me to forgo the 8” front stabilizer I used on my other Hoyts), can add Hoyt’s new quiver systems that allow you to position the quiver super tight to the bow or other preferred position (never thought I’d switch from my go-to tight spots, but the ones from Hoyt integrate better on the RX7).

Last edited: