Hoyt carbon series vs aluminum series

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the market for a new bow for next year. I am set on getting a Hoyt again. My question is what's the deal with the Hoyt carbon lines? Are they worth the extra 500 bucks? Whats the advantages of getting a carbon? I am planning on going to a shop soon and try to shoot them side by side but can't for awhile.

bates

WKR
I've always had aluminum bows and just liked the feel of the carbon when I shot them.

I typically only buy a new bow every couple of years so I get what want and enjoy it.

I hear the Carbon defiant isn't changing for 2017 so that's a nice option.

I like the finish of the black riser ones almost like a truck bed liner
Plus supposed to not get cold like aluminum

Shoot them both and decide if it's worth the money to you.

charvey9

WKR
There is a definite difference in feel and vibration shooting a carbon vs. aluminum riser. Is it worth the extra cost? Only you can decide that. I've been shooting a carbon bow since 2012, and could not go back. I've tested the aluminum riser bows over the past few years, and although they are all great, I prefer the "dead" feel of carbon.

N2TRKYS

WKR
The carbon element I bought new about 3 years ago was more dead in my hand when shooting than its aluminum counterpart. They may be different now. I usually buy a new bow every 10 years or so.

WARM to the hand when its cold outside, shoots like dream, NO VIBES, its like holding a dead snake in your hand by the neck.
I liked the feel (or lack there of) of the carbon bows over the alum risers bit I have one of both, still shoot both equally.

OP
H

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
I'm definitely planning on shooting them both when I am able to. I've never shot a carbon bow before but am really looking forward to it. I really like the fact that it will stay warmer that's for sure. Thanks for the I sight, I appreciate it. I am ready to move on from my Mathews.

jmez

WKR
I agree with charvey. They have a different feel to them and it is more than just being dead in hand. The carbon riser is stiffer than the aluminum and I think this is where the biggest difference comes from. I don't see myself ever going back to aluminum. After shooting a carbon for a while the difference is very apparent to me.

OP
H

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta love it when you call a pro shop to ask a question and they wont give you the time of day, or give one word answers, trying to get you off the phone asap cause you are not gonna buy a bow TODAY. Looks like I won't be going there to get my bow next year. Thanks for the replies guys

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Longtime Hoyt owner. I have to say the Carbon bows are a completely different animal than their metal riser even with the same cams !

Carbon bows besides being obviously lighter, have less noise, less vibration and easier and faster to maneuver. IMHO.

To me it's night and day. I own a Matrix plus, 2 Elements RKT and a Fuel cam as well as my shooter carbon Spyder turbo Z cam.

Personally ? I feel the Nitrum metal riser is better than the Defiant and the Alpha Max 35 better than them both.

That's just my opinion from owning them and shooting/ hunting with them year round in Florida.

I don't bother anymore much with metal risers. They don't stack up in my book. Nitrum Z cam was close.

Sent from my iPhone

I think I'm on my 7th or 8th Hoyt with a 2012 Carbon Element being what I use now. For the next bow I will NOT spend the extra money for a carbon. After all the hype I was unimpressed with the difference and actually think the shot feels worse in hand. My .02

I'll be the naysayer and say that, to me, they aren't worth the price. Do I like them more than the aluminum series bows, yes. Are they half again better than the aluminum series bows, to me, no. For me the two reasons to by Carbon are the weight savings and that it's warm to the touch. The weight savings on the Hoyt's has you paying about $100.00 an ounce. For that price I can by a whole lot of water to replace the sweat I burn for carrying 6 extra ounces by sticking with the aluminum bow. The warm to the touch factor is nice but yet again, I could by some pretty phenomenal gloves with the savings from going with aluminum.

If you are set going the carbon route I'd keep an eye on the AT classifieds. They show up there fairly regularly and can be had for quite a discount. Also, if you're going with carbon for weight savings look at the PSE Carbon Air. It's a half a pound lighter than what a 32" ATA Hoyt would be.

I'm not trying to put down the carbon bows others are shooting, if they work for you than that's what matters. I'm just giving a different view and my opinion on them.

I have owned 3 Hoyt carbon bows with my last one being a 2012 Carbon Element. When I shot that bow, I was blown away about how quiet and dead in the hand it was. I recently bought a Xpedition XCentric Aluminum bow and to my extreme surprise, the Xpedition is much more dead in the hand and much quieter and picking up almost 10FPS. I took it in a local shop and we were comparing my 2 bows and we all laughed at the Hoyt - their was no comparison; The Hoyt felt like a shotgun. (And I have shot Hoyt for 20 years)

My point: Technology changes so much in 4 years (not that one bow is better than another).

I think you would be happy with whatever you chose. I thought I had the best bow in the world until I shot a new one - reminds me of a flat screen tv decision. As long as they are not side by side, you won't know any difference. They both will allow you to have a blast killing critters.

Riplip

WKR
I have had two different aluminum Hoyts in the past. I picked up the carbon defiant this year and absolutely love the bow so for me the bow is worth the extra funds. As others have said, good idea to shoot both and decide. If you like the carbon, just wait until the 2017 Hoyts are announced and NIB Carbons will start to appear for sale and discounted prices. Or wait until season is over and pick up a used one.

Grumman

WKR
I have a Carbon Spyder ZT and have been extremely happy with it. Having said that the aluminum models are fine too, I really like the Defiant. If money was no object I would take a carbon model every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhendrix

WKR
I currently own a 2014 Carbon Spyder Turbo with Z5 cams and a 2013 Spyder Turbo with RKT 2.1 cams. Both are shooters if I do my part. I plan on using the Cabron Spyder for my backcountry mulie hunt this year though based on a few factors (some of which have already been mentioned):

Weight - The carbon bow has allowed me to run a side bar and decrease my bow cant without adding a bunch of weight to the bow overall. 6 ounces may not sound like a lot, but when you're at full draw for a minute or two waiting for that bull or buck to turn broadside, 6 ounces can make a huge difference in how long you can hold your bow steady. If I was on a limited budget, then I'd probably get an aluminium bow, but if that's not the case, or if you don't mind buying a used carbon bow like I did, then that'd be the bow I'd choose.

Vibration - The difference in vibration is minimal, but it's there. Carbon bows just absorb more vibration and sound.

Durability - This is the only area where I think an aluminium Hoyt may edge out a carbon one. Until recently (2015) the finish on Hoyt's carbon bows have left a lot to be desired. I'm not trying to have a bow that wins a beauty contest, so this isn't a deciding factor for me personally, what finish issues I've had I just cover up with some Krylon and call it a day. But it's disappointing to see a high end carbon bow whose MSRP is $1200-1400 dollars have finish issues around the grip and riser. The aluminium bows, especially the black aluminium risers seems to be quite a bit more durable in that regard.

Hope this helps some!

DEW0341

WKR
I own the defiant 34 aluminum riser, and have shot the carbon defiant turbo as well. for me and my wallet I do not think that the extra money is worth it. the weight savings after adding accessories is what maybe a half pound? if that's a huge concern for packing it around on a hunt then one should maybe think about working out a little bit more.
As far as feel goes I like them both after the shot and the carbon does feel like a Ferrari in your hand, though the turbo was slightly more jumpy which is to be expected.
just go shoot both side by side and make your own decision.

I am in the market for a new bow for next year. I am set on getting a Hoyt again. My question is what's the deal with the Hoyt carbon lines? Are they worth the extra 500 bucks? Whats the advantages of getting a carbon? I am planning on going to a shop soon and try to shoot them side by side but can't for awhile.

I bought my first bow last year and narrowed the choice to a carbon spyder or a nitrum. I shot both. I went with the carbon but honestly couldn't tell you it shoots or feels better. I have had a chance to shoot a buddies nitrum a few times since. Both feel great. More experienced archers can probably appreciate the nuance but I can't at my skill level.

If money is a constraint then the aluminum bow gives you access to the performance of the HOYT design, tech and other HOYT components, except the carbon riser for a much better price. I agree with the advice to go with what shoots best if $ isn't a constraint. Either way you will have a flagship bow from a top tier manufacturer. You'll be at the leading edge of bow tech and the difference will be relatively limited and largely based on personal preference and hard to qualify elements like "feel".

A year later, I am happy with my spyder. I would probably be just as happy with a nitrum. Nothing I shoot, targets or animals, would probably care.

Something minor to think about is on mine somewhere along the line something rubber the riser down into the fibers and left a spot that will now make my bow hard to resell. If it was Alum. It would have only rubber off the finish.