Howa mini carbon 65Grendel

WyoJeff

FNG
Very seriously considering buying a how a mini carbon elevate in 65 Grendel for a sub 300 yard antelope whitetail coyote carrying rifle.
Any real world experience to relate?

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I don't have experience with the "carbon" version, but have a couple of the 6.5 Grendel steel barreled versions. One 22" blued (factory carbon stock), one 20" stainless (Stocky's carbon). Both have been setup with JO Outdoors BDL bottom metal.

I've spent a fair amount of time shooting them. I put about 60 rounds through the 20" stainless yesterday. Most of the time was at 200 yards and it makes consistent close fist sized 10 round splotches on the steel. With DNZ 2 piece mounts and a NXS 2.5-10x32 it's ~6lbs 5oz. As much as the light weight, the slim stock with the BDL makes it very sleek. It will probably be my most carried rifle for 300 yards or less hunting.

OP
W

WyoJeff

FNG
Thanks for the reply, ive had Grendel AR's that worked very well for me they just seemed to be an answer with no question...for me...as i dont use an AR in the field.
Always in my mind is the single best group i ever shot and that was the first three rounds out of a Howa Grendel with a Bushnell 10x and factory 123gr HRN black label...1 slightly over sized .264 hole at 100yds....but it was the old sticky gummy stock that i could NOT abide and i traded it off....STUPIDLY. I guess in my own defense that was before any of the readily available aftermarket stocks.

PC356

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Bought a 20” 6.5G carbon fiber barreled action from Brownells a few months ago and bedded it into a Stockys. Mounted a Maven RS.1 on top. Routinely run it out to 800 yds on steel. 123 Gr Hornady Black ELD Ms. Couldn’t be happier with it. Deadly accurate, feeds reliably with DIP bottom metal/factory mags, and feather light. Factory trigger adjusted down to a touch under 2 lbs and breaks nice. It’s just a pleasure to shoot. Run several hundred rnds thru it. Think it would be an excellent tool for your intended applications.

Last edited:
We used a Grendel for youth hunters before the arc came out. It worked well but I’d definitely go with the arc when I need an extremely low recoil gun again. We like to practice long range with the kids and the ARC definitely helps in the wind compared to the Grendel.

Why the Grendel over 6ARC?

As a LONG time Grendel shooter, I have to agree. I find my best terminal performance with the Grendel shooting 100 grain class bullets at ~2750-2800 fps.

Might as well take advantage of the higher BC offered by the 6mm bullets in this weight class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
W

WyoJeff

FNG
PC356...I have a Maven sitting on my bench as I type this, was thinking it would be a nice combo!
Grendel over 6ARC for 2 reasons....1st I love 6.5 2nd I dont seen the 6ARC in the 5lb mini Carbon option.......
If you can point me towards a 5lb 6ARC i would DEFINETELY take a look at it!

I would be very surprised if the carbon barreled action is as light as the pencil barrel. Drop on in a stockies stock and it’s probably the same weight between a 6arc and a 6.5grendel.

OP
W

WyoJeff

FNG
no doubt your correct but i want a carbon fiber wrapped barrel

You could get this and then get a stockies stock in whatever model you like. Stockies makes the sporter stock for howa. For a while you could get a blemished stockies for 300$

But, if you want a 6.5 grendel carbon elevate, then get that. I love my 6.5g mini.

Don’t buy it at full price, you can probably catch a sale or get a coupon from brownells.

Last edited:

waspocrew

WKR
I keep seeing these mini howa discussions pop up. Seems like a great deal with the BA from brownells. I believe rokslide30 is an active code for stockys that will save you some dough.

waspocrew

WKR
Very tempted to jump on the 6 ARC bolt action (especially with the release of 6 ARC brass from Alpha the other day).

Dukhtr3

FNG
I just put a Howa mini 6 arc carbon in a stocky's stock. Definitely supper light but I haven't weighed it. Still doing load development but it is shooting really well so far.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Marshfly

WKR
PC356...I have a Maven sitting on my bench as I type this, was thinking it would be a nice combo!
Grendel over 6ARC for 2 reasons....1st I love 6.5 2nd I dont seen the 6ARC in the 5lb mini Carbon option.......
A barreled action non carbon 6ARC in a Stockys VG stock is 5# 4. I just put one together.

OP
W

WyoJeff

FNG
good find, hadnt seen the Brownells Carbon 6ARC....now im rethinking!
the Howa Mini have a long enough mag for long 6mm bullets?

OP
W

WyoJeff

FNG
so i see Stockys has blemish stock for the Superlite...how much different is that than the Mini?
ill call them tomorrow but sitting stewing on it now!

so i see Stockys has blemish stock for the Superlite...how much different is that than the Mini?
ill call them tomorrow but sitting stewing on it now!
Different action, won’t fit the mini. The superlight is between the mini and short action. You may email them and see if they have any blems for a mini

PC356

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Haven’t weighed mine with the RS.1 on it. Before with an Arken 4-16 on it it came in at 6.5 lbs with 5 rnds in the mag. Once again this is a carbon 20” 6.5G barrel mini action. I ordered one of the stainless pencil barreled mini actions from Brownells too in 7.62x39. I planned on swapping a PBB 18” diamond fluted 6ARC barrel that’s being built rt now into that stainless action. Knew it would be 10-12 wks before I get that barrel so I cut and threaded the 7.62 to 16” and slapped it in the Stockys VG I picked up for that project in the meantime. The 7.62 shoots clover leaves with 123 gr Fed Power Shoks. Makes a great hog gun for my place in the hill country for now.

Last edited: