How young is to young to hunt a dog

OP
Cant hit em
Some 12 gauge and bigger bird work. Im gona use 3” bumpers more this week
6d9202559afcd53befbc7be31d40f739.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

afilko

FNG
I don't know about waterfowl dogs and cold water, but I took my GSP pheasant hunting the first time when he was 4 months. As long as they have gun exposure and you keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't affected by the gunfire and get too tired go for it. Don't expect them to be perfect but it takes birds to make a bird dog, get them out there

manitou1

WKR
Just don't pressure her too much. Let her have fun the first season and allow some mistakes without being over bearing. I would keep the first few hunts short and pleasant. Freezing and miserable conditions and all day, wear them down hunts can have an affect on a youngster.

Many times we as humans don't realize how a dog thinks or feels and a bit too much pressure can turn a positive experience into a negative for them... and some pups remember a negative experience moreso than a wife!

DItto ^^^ But we have "different" dogs....lol. I just hunted Montana with 20+ dogs and owners. My buddies 5mo female got into it w a coyote they fed some 6's and it wasn't finished. Lots of porcupines too.

Exposure, Exposure, Exposure.

Even with a Lab.....we woulda been hunting months ago if it was legal.

OP
Cant hit em
Like hunting with kids.
  • Quit before they stop having fun.
  • It is about their experience, not your success
  • good experience at the early stage pays off in enthusiasm later

Thank you i like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hunted my Chessie all season this year to due an aging dog. All these dogs are soooo smart. They just need to know what the "Game" is. My Chessie was going APE SCHITT once he knew we could shoot ditch chickens and Huns. Never smelled them before.

They need to learn the Real Game isn't tennis balls and dummies/bumpers. The end game is BIRDS!!!!

Get these dogs on as many birds as possible. My dogs lose their shit to get the e collars PUT ON! It means we are doing cool schitt. They can't wait! Gun and camo come out....THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

The dogs quickly give zero Fs about gunfire and other BS. Which when reigned in and structed....is way better then trying to "push them out".

Wrench

WKR
I hunted my Chessie all season this year to due an aging dog. All these dogs are soooo smart. They just need to know what the "Game" is. My Chessie was going APE SCHITT once he knew we could shoot ditch chickens and Huns. Never smelled them before.

They need to learn the Real Game isn't tennis balls and dummies/bumpers. The end game is BIRDS!!!!

Get these dogs on as many birds as possible. My dogs lose their shit to get the e collars PUT ON! It means we are doing cool schitt. They can't wait! Gun and camo come out....THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

The dogs quickly give zero Fs about gunfire and other BS. Which when reigned in and structed....is way better then trying to "push them out".
My first Drahthaar and I were hunting a draw that I knew held roosters. I tried to send her in and she made a funny gesture. I wasn't having any backtalk, so I booted her into the draw. A sudden chaos erupted and a yote came flying out with 30 pounds of fearless Drahthaar in hot pursuit. My only option was to feed the yote a pair of #6 16ga low pressure doses from my 1898 side by side.

I had about 2 seconds lead on my dog and can only assume that I soaked the yote. The two seconds lead vanished and the fight was on. The two went at it for about 20 seconds which felt like forever.....then the mele was over and Cali was dragging me a dead coyote, proud as a peacock.

Incredibly tough, fearless dogs. She wasn't more than 9mo old that day.

My middle Drahthaar took on a badger and porcupine on the same day and needed a few staples....which I carry. She was also about 9mo at that time.

My newest dog is 9mo this month and after losing my middle dog in an accident I am pretty protective of #3.....but she shows all the same traits.

OP
Cant hit em
So I ended up hunting her. Started with Quail in the afternoons between deer hunts , never focused on upland but this was super fun and she was jacked. We will do more of this next season

9ea42ec600d45cd2a4d543bbc0ba7df9.jpg

Then we moved to Waterfowl. Her first waterfowl hunt ended up having nothing but geese come in. I think she picked up right around 20 geese that day. I was worried she would have issues due to her being small framed , not an issue. Retrieved them to hand.

17c68c39c0ced31990d7f72fb7f9a61d.jpg

788312e4d123aabf98588de6bb11442e.jpg

We then hunted local refuge for ducks every Saturday in December and January.

3821948c25a04de5636462d5ab63d0cd.jpg

cff0816b5e1cf34984f20e1676dfd179.png

68bb063d5ddb6fcb7d82124722b37a38.jpg

60044d0d462a82ea16135603b63af126.jpg

She ended up with about 70 retrieves for the season for my daughter and I. I never hunted her with anyone else but us 2 so I could keep control. All in all I’m very happy in the decision to hunt her even at her young age.

We are doing Mini T now and she is doing awesome. Even during hunt season we trained during the week and hunted Saturdays. Ive been working with a group of guys now on Fridays we do simulated hunt tests. She could easily pass them at a JR level now but i have no interest in doing them. This has been an amazing journey I never thought I could train a dog to do what shes doing. Anyone interested there is a ton of material/programs to choose from , pick one and enjoy the process.

KurtR

WKR
So I ended up hunting her. Started with Quail in the afternoons between deer hunts , never focused on upland but this was super fun and she was jacked. We will do more of this next season

9ea42ec600d45cd2a4d543bbc0ba7df9.jpg

Then we moved to Waterfowl. Her first waterfowl hunt ended up having nothing but geese come in. I think she picked up right around 20 geese that day. I was worried she would have issues due to her being small framed , not an issue. Retrieved them to hand.

17c68c39c0ced31990d7f72fb7f9a61d.jpg

788312e4d123aabf98588de6bb11442e.jpg

We then hunted local refuge for ducks every Saturday in December and January.

3821948c25a04de5636462d5ab63d0cd.jpg

cff0816b5e1cf34984f20e1676dfd179.png

68bb063d5ddb6fcb7d82124722b37a38.jpg

60044d0d462a82ea16135603b63af126.jpg

She ended up with about 70 retrieves for the season for my daughter and I. I never hunted her with anyone else but us 2 so I could keep control. All in all I’m very happy in the decision to hunt her even at her young age.

We are doing Mini T now and she is doing awesome. Even during hunt season we trained during the week and hunted Saturdays. Ive been working with a group of guys now on Fridays we do simulated hunt tests. She could easily pass them at a JR level now but i have no interest in doing them. This has been an amazing journey I never thought I could train a dog to do what shes doing. Anyone interested there is a ton of material/programs to choose from , pick one and enjoy the process.
I didnt have any interest either then i ran one and met all the great people and fun dogs. Now i plan my summer by where the tests are haha. Made alot of new friends and people to hunt with in new areas

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My 10 month old GSP is already pointing and retrieving quail/dove. He's far from being super proficient but he learns so much every time out. Depends on the dog and training, helps to pair them with a more experienced dog to field learn.

OP
Cant hit em
I didnt have any interest either then i ran one and met all the great people and fun dogs. Now i plan my summer by where the tests are haha. Made alot of new friends and people to hunt with in new areas

I know the group Ive been simulating tests with are fun people , very like minded. Who knows they might talk me into it. They are going this weekend to one and maybe when I see their ribbons it will spur me in that direction