How to: Sight in your Black Gold adjustable sight

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Roksliders!

It's been a long time coming, but we finally have an updated, simple, step by step "how to" on sighting in your Black Gold sight. There are a few little tips and tricks to get the most out of your sight and all are included here!

TX_Diver

WKR
Sweet. 3rd axis is on my list as I now have a sight that has it. Does the same procedure apply to an ascent verdict with the x-frame base? Loosen shooter side screw, adjust with opposite side screw, then secure shooter side screw again?

Cheers

MT257

WKR
Sweet. 3rd axis is on my list as I now have a sight that has it. Does the same procedure apply to an ascent verdict with the x-frame base? Loosen shooter side screw, adjust with opposite side screw, then secure shooter side screw again?

Cheers

I have the ascent verdict and recently leveled my 3rd axis there is actually two screws that you have to loosen before you adjust the screw to level. One screw is in the base its counter sunk then loosen the the screw on the inside of the site then adjust with the screw on the outside. Then when level tighten both the other screws up.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Good article Rob. Easiest description of adjusting 3rd Axis I have seen. I recently bought a dovetail mount from Rob for a Black Gold customized sight I bought from S&S 8 years ago. Same great service as always.

The dovetail on my windage bar was a little out of spec and wouldn't fit the new dovetail. I called Black Gold and they mailed me a new one for free. This is for a sight I purchased in 2011 and has been long discontinued.

Two great companies here.

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Cheers
Exactly the same.

Kilboars

WKR
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the info. I've got Pure 75's on all my bows and I want to be able to dial down to the farthest distance I can without my fletches making contact with the bottom of the sights housing.

So I'll start with getting the sight mounts and dial adjusted down as low as possible and then start sighting it in with the bottom pin being the floater.

I'm hunting elk and doing the Total Archery Challenge each year and they have some very long shots.

PS do you have any tips on adjusting the level on the bezel? I can get the other two axis set pretty fast then spend an hour trying to set the bezel.

Andrew

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Andrew,

Getting the most range out of your sight is a tricky one. Having the bottom pin as low in the housing as possible is the most i would recommend doing. And even then you're accuracy will suffer having the pin so far down in the housing. If you are ONLY concerned about max distance, you can move your anchor point down (causing your peep to go up). This will have the greatest effect on max distance.

Adjusting the sight ring bubble can be a bit tricky. I just loosen the screws and make tiny changes by tapping it. I think patience is the best tool for this job!

rob

Kilboars

WKR
Thanks Rob,

I'm a hunter first and foremost so my 20-60 yards pins are my priorities but I like an adjustable sight for follow up shots. Right now I try to set my bottom pin for 60yd and the gap between the 60 and the top of the level 70. Top of level 80 before I ever have to slid the adjuster. It will put my 60yd pin out to about 95-105 yards.

I'll take off the sight ring and put a little spit around it as well to help it twist easier.

Do you guys go to the Total Archery Challeges?

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks Rob,

I'm a hunter first and foremost so my 20-60 yards pins are my priorities but I like an adjustable sight for follow up shots. Right now I try to set my bottom pin for 60yd and the gap between the 60 and the top of the level 70. Top of level 80 before I ever have to slid the adjuster. It will put my 60yd pin out to about 95-105 yards.

I'll take off the sight ring and put a little spit around it as well to help it twist easier.

Do you guys go to the Total Archery Challeges?

Our owner Steve Speck is part owner of the NW Mountain challenge. That's the only shoot we attend. We would do more, but honestly I love scouting this time of year so its tough to give up more weekends then i have to!

Kilboars

WKR
I got it. Smart.

Question, so on the tapes they show fps. Should we just ignore that and go by the 20yd-60yd marks you write about?

PS. the last photo of the lady shooting. Shouldn't she be bending at the waist?

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The problem with the FPS is that it can change dramatically as the arrow goes down range. For instance the same arrow out of the same bow with a 4 fletch vs a 3 will be slower, and drop more. So we like to go with the 20-60 technique.

And you are probably right about bending at the waist. That is my wife and she has WAY more natural archery talent than i do, so im not telling her anything!

I like to run my level bubble up top in the site ring, less clutter when shooting longer yardage without the bubble interfering with the sight picture and your bottom pin can be set lower. This requires a left hand bubble/ring for a right hander. Rob had BG build a Whitetail Ascent to this spec last winter for me..and I really am liking it.

Kilboars

WKR
I like to run my level bubble up top in the site ring, less clutter when shooting longer yardage without the bubble interfering with the sight picture and your bottom pin can be set lower. This requires a left hand bubble/ring for a right hander. Rob had BG build a Whitetail Ascent to this spec last winter for me..and I really am liking it.

I tried that but found I didn’t like the level up top on those far shots when I’m really focusing on the bottom pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
I really don't grasp the 3rd axis...if you adjust it moves all your pins left or right.....so that would change your POI at all ranges...?

TX_Diver

WKR
I really don't grasp the 3rd axis...if you adjust it moves all your pins left or right.....so that would change your POI at all ranges...?

Yes. But then you slide your housing one way or the other to correct that I believe. (Horizontal/windage gang adjustment basically).

I just set mine yesterday and am wondering if I did it right as it put a noticeable kink in the sight. Allegedly the corner of my house is level though...

Going to find somewhere to go shoot downhill (harder than it sounds here in Wisconsin) and test it out.

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Don't think of it as moving your pins left or right, think of it as twisting the site left or right. The pins stay in the same place it's your bubble that is affected by the twisting motion when you move your bow up or down.
you can do the same thing with a small level if you hold it out in front of you and move it up or down by twisting the level and then moving up or down you will notice that the bubble will move to the left or to the right.

But you do want to set your 3rd axis before you set your pins.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk