How to not die on first trip?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You never mention the elevation you would be hunting in original post. Rattle snakes can be found as high as 9500' in AZ. Or other states for that matter. But, I would think you would be okay that high up, but I still would not sleep on the ground. Hammock comes to mind.

OP
ZMT

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
You never mention the elevation you would be hunting in original post. Rattle snakes can be found as high as 9500' in AZ. Or other states for that matter. But, I would think you would be okay that high up, but I still would not sleep on the ground. Hammock comes to mind.
Thank you - probably a dumb question, but is a tent out of the question? I hadn't thought they'd be able to find a way in, but definitely don't want to find out the hard way

WCB

WKR
For the most part distance means squat. If you pick your routes and are mindful of time and weather you can go a long ways in short order with no greater risk or less than even a couple hundred yards from the vehicle on steep technical terrain. Don't count yourself short by being locked into a tether to your vehicle by distance. Build a good first aid kit...know how to use it. Don't over think things.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
This may seem obvious but trust your gut feelings. If something feels sketchy, looks sketchy and sounds sketchy it very likely is sketchy and you don't need to do that.
This is it. A lot of staying safe in the outdoors is developing a sense of the difference between "this is uncomfortable" and "this is out of control/dangerous." Like, am I hot, or am I overheating? Mostly comes from experience, so at the start just make cautious decisions.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
On one of my moose scouting hikes a few years ago in mid summer near the Idaho border, I think half the weight of my pack was water. It was not enough. Temps creeped up on me, near 100. I couldn't believe how much water I needed.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Thank you - probably a dumb question, but is a tent out of the question? I hadn't thought they'd be able to find a way in, but definitely don't want to find out the hard way
Tent is okay, just be sure to check everything before you use it, sleeping bags, shoes, socks, any article of clothing.

Marble

WKR
Yeah rattlesnakes are definitely a big question mark for me. On a 10 day hunt, how many would you guess I'd see around 8-9k feet?

Interesting, I don't know that I've heard of anyone who found solo more successful. Do you have any tips that have helped you?

Thanks! I'll do that

Scorpions freak me out (had an aunt get stung by one and it got real infected), really hoping there aren't too many in the mountains
I can only guess, and some of it may come off a little arrogant. Which I'm not trying to be. Here's what I notice...

One person in the woods is less movement, noise, scent and distraction. There is nothing else occupying my mind and I do not have to consult with anyone. I generally move through the woods quieter and much faster than most people I have hunted with.

I also don't get tied up helping someone else with gear or instruction. So I'm 100% focused on the task.

I'm a very successful rifle hunter of elk, I'd say in the 90% success rate, and around 50% for archery. All my archery elk were solo with no assistance packing out.

I get more sleep, I'm more organized and on a better schedule, not having to wait for anyone to use the bathroom or finish breakfast etc.

I hate it when I watch YouTube videos and I see the shooter turning around having conversations with someone while there is a bull coming. Pay the F attention and make a decision! If you screw something up, then you'll learn from YOUR mistake. Much better than wondering what screwed up the encounter, you, or someone else...

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, you probably won’t die. You might end up horribly uncomfortable, but you won’t die. A lot of people go out in the backcountry to unprepared and make bad decisions and they live, some die but most live. Common sense and taking your time.

ShakeDown

WKR
Stay hydrated is probably the best advice I have heard. I bet you have service so that’s good.

It’s going to be VERY hot.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Good idea, I hadn't thought of sleeping pills. Bears I'm used to but mountain lions still give me the creeps. The units I'll be in have a ton - I know they are very unlikely to pose a real danger, but knowing at one point or another I'll likely be watched by one makes my skin crawl
Get an OTC lion tag and your less likely to see one haha.

They will hide and run away from you 1,000,000 times before they try to attack you once.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Your main issues in AZ will be dehydration, monsoon dust storms with 50-80 mph winds that come with no warning, and getting cliffed out trying to cross canyons.

Rattle snakes, scorpions, and mt lions should be of little concern. Just stay focused on where you’re putting your feet for the snakes.

NMJM

FNG
Relax and have a great trip. Use a little common sense and you will be fine. It sounds like a great trip and you will probably learn a lot. The chance of being attacked by a lion or bit by a snake are very small. Statistically you probably have a higher chance of accidently shooting yourself than being killed by a mountain lion. (I would still bring the pistol, with everything in life advantages also have disadvantages). Have a great trip, good luck, I hope you are successful!!!!