How to not die on first trip?

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone, I'll be doing my first trip out to AZ in a few weeks. I've been planning for months and think I have a pretty good idea of what to expect, but obviously won't know until I get there. I camped on and off again when I was younger, but always at established sites and with a cooler.

For safety's sake I won't be more than a mile or two from my truck and am packing in an absurd amount of water. I have an inReach and will be giving updates and check-in's to friends each day. Also, although this is way down on the list of things that would get me killed, I'll be bringing a handgun to sleep better at night.

I was wondering if anyone had any additional safety tips they could think of that they didn't know on their first few trips. In my head I have a decent idea of what to expect, but would rather not end up on the news or have a thread created on RokSlide in a month about how to not end up like me

You'll be fine. I think you are setting yourself up for success with staying relatively close to the truck. Remember this is fun and you want to do this. I take sleeping pills when I'm backpacking, but everybody is different.

OP
ZMT

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
You'll be fine. I think you are setting yourself up for success with staying relatively close to the truck. Remember this is fun and you want to do this. I take sleeping pills when I'm backpacking, but everybody is different.
Good idea, I hadn't thought of sleeping pills. Bears I'm used to but mountain lions still give me the creeps. The units I'll be in have a ton - I know they are very unlikely to pose a real danger, but knowing at one point or another I'll likely be watched by one makes my skin crawl

You have a better chance of dying on your drive to work. Don't overthink it, but it's good to be prepared. Solo hunts can seem strange at first because things are better when shared with others but it's still worth doing. Hope you have a good time.

Dennis

WKR
Primarily just go enjoy the adventure and be smart about your campsite and where you are walking. Watch out when camping around dead trees. They do fall and we have had a couple close encounters. Watch for snakes before stepping over rocks and logs especially if the weather is real warm or hot. These depend on where you are at.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you're on a good path especially with the water part unless you have running water close by.

In addition to the sleeping pills (not a fan), look into a magnesium supplement in pill or powder form. I take a product called Calm in the powder form myself. It's a great help in relaxing tired and sore muscles at night. Just helps with better quality of sleep.

Weldor

WKR
You'll be fine, if your down south the lions are fed well. Our visitors from the south provide alot of protien for the cats. Enjoy lots of good storms recently .

OP
ZMT

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
You have a better chance of dying on your drive to work. Don't overthink it, but it's good to be prepared. Solo hunts can seem strange at first because things are better when shared with others but it's still worth doing. Hope you have a good time.
Yeah, unfortunately don't know anyone who has a tag out there. My buddies where I'm from aren't serious hunters
Primarily just go enjoy the adventure and be smart about your campsite and where you are walking. Watch out when camping around dead trees. They do fall and we have had a couple close encounters. Watch for snakes before stepping over rocks and logs especially if the weather is real warm or hot. These depend on where you are at.

Sounds like you're on a good path especially with the water part unless you have running water close by.

In addition to the sleeping pills (not a fan), look into a magnesium supplement in pill or powder form. I take a product called Calm in the powder form myself. It's a great help in relaxing tired and sore muscles at night. Just helps with better quality of sleep.
Thanks guys, made sure to get some snake gaiters but will have to watch my hands for sure.

Slick, I like that magnesium stuff too. I take it with a Zinc pill since they are supposed to amplify each other - try it out sometime to see if it helps you as well

WRO

WKR
This is no big deal, you’ll be fine. Bring a spare and extra fuel depending on how far you are from fuel and have fun. Where in AZ are you going and what are you hunting?

OP
ZMT

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
This is no big deal, you’ll be fine. Bring a spare and extra fuel depending on how far you are from fuel and have fun. Where in AZ are you going and what are you hunting?
Thanks man, helps to hear. Headed to eastern AZ (avoiding unit names per the rules, but basically the two most popular ones outside of metro areas) for Mule Deer but would take a Coues if I happened across one

mmac

WKR
Happy to answer any questions you have on AZ if you shoot me a PM. I will go against the comments and say do not underestimate the heat and the impact on your body. Depending on where you are coming from we are dry and your body will need a lot more water. Sounds like you are prepared on the water and not far from truck until comfortable.

pcrossett

Lil-Rokslider
This may seem obvious but trust your gut feelings. If something feels sketchy, looks sketchy and sounds sketchy it very likely is sketchy and you don't need to do that.

OP
ZMT

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I'll be staying up in higher elevations to avoid the heat for sure, I'm not built for that type of weather. Even 90 here in the Northeast is brutal for me, especially when the humidity kicks in.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You mentioned lots of water, that is a good thing, stay hydrated. Add some sports drink of your choice. If you are sleeping on the ground, check your bag and gear for snakes and other stingy and other thing that can stick you. You don't want to be walking out for an hour or more if you get hit by rattler.

SkyHunter

FNG
Keep in mind that monsoon season runs through September so having a way to keep gear dry when the afternoon storms pop up will be helpful.

Marble

WKR
Op...Dont worry and enjoy the solo experience. I am so much more successful solo and get much more done. Plan on staying out there for 3-4 nights and returning to the truck for supplies. A few miles is nothing. Leave something there you'll look forward to eating/drinking.

Unless I want to hear elk bugling, I put ear plugs in, pull my beanie down over my eyes and ears and sleep soundly. There is nothing outside my tent I'm concerned about and my sleep is valuable.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like you have a solid set of expectations of your capabilities!

Feel free to shoot me a PM as well and I'll offer whatever help I can! Good luck!

OP
ZMT

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
You mentioned lots of water, that is a good thing, stay hydrated. Add some sports drink of your choice. If you are sleeping on the ground, check your bag and gear for snakes and other stingy and other thing that can stick you. You don't want to be walking out for an hour or more if you get hit by rattler.
Yeah rattlesnakes are definitely a big question mark for me. On a 10 day hunt, how many would you guess I'd see around 8-9k feet?
Op...Dont worry and enjoy the solo experience. I am so much more successful solo and get much more done. Plan on staying out there for 3-4 nights and returning to the truck for supplies. A few miles is nothing. Leave something there you'll look forward to eating/drinking.

Unless I want to hear elk bugling, I put ear plugs in, pull my beanie down over my eyes and ears and sleep soundly. There is nothing outside my tent I'm concerned about and my sleep is valuable.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Interesting, I don't know that I've heard of anyone who found solo more successful. Do you have any tips that have helped you?

Seems like you have a solid set of expectations of your capabilities!

Feel free to shoot me a PM as well and I'll offer whatever help I can! Good luck!
Thanks! I'll do that
Having been in the southwest a good bit be sure to shake out your boots in the morning as scorpions love to crawl into them.
Scorpions freak me out (had an aunt get stung by one and it got real infected), really hoping there aren't too many in the mountains