How to make your rifle dual purpose?

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This idea has been kicking around in my head for a while, so I want to hear if any of you guys do this. Could you make a rifle dual purpose by adding a second stock?

I’m an absolute sucker for highly figured, gorgeous walnut stocks. It’s hard to justify spending big bucks for one of these rifles, only to relegate it to special uses. I was wondering if you could have a walnut stocked or heavier tactical stocked rifle, then add an ultralight carbon stock for mountain hunts?

My Cooper 6.5 Creedmoor has a nice walnut stock, and my endlessly imaginative brain gets to thinking about adding an ultralight stock if anyone ever wanted to use it for a walking around rifle. I wonder if an idea like this can ever help you guys to increase the versatility of your guns?

20180624_144907.jpg

Grumman

WKR
I have thought about that but all of my nice wood stocked rifles also have nice gloss bluing. I’d be just as concerned about messing that up as I would the wood. I do see lots of people doing it though. There are some sweet pre64s out there wearing synthetic stocks when hunting season rolls around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an older M70 Featherweight (not pre-64 old though :)) with a really nice piece of wood on it. I'm going to restock it w/ a synthetic- a little weight savings (turns out the Featherweight wood stocks are actually pretty light), but more for weather resistance.

I'm going to have it Cerakote'd and am thinking about using their "blued" look coating to keep the factory look.

Just remember there is a lot more to a mountain rifle than a stock, a heavy varminter/target is still going to be a heavy rifle, regardless what stock is on it. Barrel length and thickness will have a big influence on overall weight

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have thought about that but all of my nice wood stocked rifles also have nice gloss bluing. I’d be just as concerned about messing that up as I would the wood. I do see lots of people doing it though. There are some sweet pre64s out there wearing synthetic stocks when hunting season rolls around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've wondered if a black Cerakote would still look good with a wood stock, and make it so we don't have to worry about scratching the bluing?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have an older M70 Featherweight (not pre-64 old though :)) with a really nice piece of wood on it. I'm going to restock it w/ a synthetic- a little weight savings (turns out the Featherweight wood stocks are actually pretty light), but more for weather resistance.

I'm going to have it Cerakote'd and am thinking about using their "blued" look coating to keep the factory look.

Just remember there is a lot more to a mountain rifle than a stock, a heavy varminter/target is still going to be a heavy rifle, regardless what stock is on it. Barrel length and thickness will have a big influence on overall weight
Very true about the goal weight of a rifle. I haven't hear about the blued Cerakote color. Anyone used it yet?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
this is a pistol but gives a you decent idea- it's their (Ceracote) Socom blue over graphite black, the blue is pretty close- evidently even more glossy if they double up the hardener

5vEeAXm.jpg

For the same reasons you mention I think you should use that walnut stock rifle as it is; for its intended purpose.

Walnut is not as fickle as the internet would have you believe and some wear gives it character. If one really wanted you could refinish the stock after it has to much character for your desire.

I see guys all the time selling their never hunted Sako bavarians because they don’t want to scratch them. It’s a dang shame.

WCB

WKR
I have talked to guys that want to do this and the same question pops into my head...are you expecting the barrel, scope, and action to not get scuffs or scratches? You'll end up with a used dinged up gun with a really nice stock. A gun is for using.

Now with that said I have a really nice shotgun that I take on Sharptail and Pheasant hunts and do most my trap shooting with. But I don't take it Rough Grouse hunting...but I have another gun for that.

I have two Ruger 1B's with both having gorgeous wood stocks. I hunt with them every year. Made to hunt so hunt they shall! My Winchester Model 70 has a nice piece of factory walnut also. I had it glass & pillar bedded with the barrel floated. Love all three.

John Norrell Arms Moly Resin - Something to consider for your metal finishes. It's used by the space industry so it has to be good stuff. It's what I used on my custom Model 70 and it's been through a lot in four years that I've had the rifle. It looks sharp!

robtattoo

WKR
I don't get it.... if you're going to cerakote it to stop the bluing getting damaged, you'll be ruining the bluing with cerakote, that would've been less damaged by maybe being scratched. Also, you won't be able to see the bluing anymore.

It's like putting a coat of flat black paint over the Mona Lisa, so the original painting doesn't get damaged......

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
this is a pistol but gives a you decent idea- it's their (Ceracote) Socom blue over graphite black, the blue is pretty close- evidently even more glossy if they double up the hardener

5vEeAXm.jpg
Wow, I really like that finish! Are you happy with it, and Cerakote in general?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For the same reasons you mention I think you should use that walnut stock rifle as it is; for its intended purpose.

Walnut is not as fickle as the internet would have you believe and some wear gives it character. If one really wanted you could refinish the stock after it has to much character for your desire.

I see guys all the time selling their never hunted Sako bavarians because they don’t want to scratch them. It’s a dang shame.
It's kind of like the paradox of getting a car that's too nice to drive

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have talked to guys that want to do this and the same question pops into my head...are you expecting the barrel, scope, and action to not get scuffs or scratches? You'll end up with a used dinged up gun with a really nice stock. A gun is for using.

Now with that said I have a really nice shotgun that I take on Sharptail and Pheasant hunts and do most my trap shooting with. But I don't take it Rough Grouse hunting...but I have another gun for that.
Sometimes I think about for hours how to make a gun more versatile. Then I remember if I don't have versatile guns, I'll have to buy more of them 😜

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have two Ruger 1B's with both having gorgeous wood stocks. I hunt with them every year. Made to hunt so hunt they shall! My Winchester Model 70 has a nice piece of factory walnut also. I had it glass & pillar bedded with the barrel floated. Love all three.

John Norrell Arms Moly Resin - Something to consider for your metal finishes. It's used by the space industry so it has to be good stuff. It's what I used on my custom Model 70 and it's been through a lot in four years that I've had the rifle. It looks sharp!

That's super interesting! Tell me more about that stuff. Do you bake it on? Spray it on? Is it more for restorations, or protection of the finish you already have?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't get it.... if you're going to cerakote it to stop the bluing getting damaged, you'll be ruining the bluing with cerakote, that would've been less damaged by maybe being scratched. Also, you won't be able to see the bluing anymore.

It's like putting a coat of flat black paint over the Mona Lisa, so the original painting doesn't get damaged......
I guess I was thinking the original bluing is pretty easy to scratch, which doesn't affect function, just my stupid OCD lol. If I put cerakote on a rifle I was thinking it would be less likely to get messed up cosmetically. Pointless to the function, I know

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm having the rifle sent to Bansner for a stock, bed and will have him do the Cerakote. He has a M70 mold, but is coming out with a Featherweight specific mold (smaller contour barrel) soon and am waiting on that :)