how to get em home???

here's my senerio. there are 5 of us flying to wy from maryland for a 7 day backpack elk/deer hunt. im not really worried about getting the deer or 1 elk home. my concern is if we kill more then one elk. my plan was to buy rubbermaid containers, have the elk processed, frozen and bring it home as my checked lugage. then i can just ship my gear home ups. so i figure we can bring home 500 lbs of meat if everyone checked 2 50 pound containers. How many bulls would that allow us to bring home? also what is the best way to bring home the horns? how do you guys typically get your animals home when you fly? thanks

brushape

WKR
gotta figure out what type of baggage rules you flight has, when working in alaska i would see people getting on and off commercial jets all the time with caribou and moose antlers. the one trip we hunted we had 4 months of clothing and gear coming home with us along with 2 guns and 2 deer each so it added up to some serious baggage charges, it wasnt too bad for me flying straight to oakland from kodiak with no changeovers but my buddies flying to vermont and pennsyvania got thier asses kicked by the fees

Depending on how much of the bull you pack out and how big of a bull you shoot 500lbs. may only cover 1 bull. As far as the antlers go I would call a taxidermist and ask them the best way to ship antlers home.

Ruskin

WKR
You may also be able to have a refrigerated shipper move the meat for you across country from processor to your home. If you get more than one, it may be better than airline fees

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
That sounds like a mess. You guys should draw straws and pick 1 guy from your party to drive out. Then the rest of the group pay his travel expenses. He could haul your gear out and the meat back.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
Above sounds like a good idea.

I thought about this before as well and I was going to buy ice chests there...fill them with the critter(s)and drop them at a major Airline cargo/freight desk at the airport. Around $1 a pound I think. Pick them up at your home airport.

Jerry P

FNG
here's my senerio. there are 5 of us flying to wy from maryland for a 7 day backpack elk/deer hunt. im not really worried about getting the deer or 1 elk home. my concern is if we kill more then one elk. my plan was to buy rubbermaid containers, have the elk processed, frozen and bring it home as my checked lugage. then i can just ship my gear home ups. so i figure we can bring home 500 lbs of meat if everyone checked 2 50 pound containers. How many bulls would that allow us to bring home? also what is the best way to bring home the horns? how do you guys typically get your animals home when you fly? thanks

Hop in my truck and hold on tight, I'll have you there in about 30 hrs. I'll even let you drive most of the way.

Ray

WKR
Rubbermaid totes as checked baggage of meat and mail your gear back. Probably cheaper than most other options. You will find-depending on airline-that extra baggage charges at the max weight per box is typically cheaper than shipping costs per pound.

A chest freezer with an inverter in the back of the truck is probably the best way for more than one elk. Pooling gas money for three to four hunters will be cheaper than four airfares unless you are using miles points.

Unless you take a top book bull, just cut the antlers at the bases and tape cardboard over the points and check them.

To ship airfreight you may have to get started on an account now to become a "known shipper". Otherwise the airline may make you pay way too much. More than checked baggage fees.

OP
flatlander51
Lol Jp it's looking like that's our best option. Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the cheapest way is goin to be to drive. I just hate to spend an extra 2 days in a truck when I could be on a mountain.

bz_711

WKR
I agree driving offers so many pluses with gear, meat, etc...but man, MD to WY...I'm getting a sore arse thinking about it...

...I'm sure I would still probably settle on driving if I have some guys to rotate with and time is not a major concern.

bbrown

WKR
That sounds like a mess. You guys should draw straws and pick 1 guy from your party to drive out. Then the rest of the group pay his travel expenses. He could haul your gear out and the meat back.

We have a group of clients from New York and New Jersey who have been making the trek for 8-9 years now. 2 of the guys drive (both retired) out in a F-350 with coolers and all their gear and the other 2 (still working) fly. They all split the fuel and any maintenance/break down costs if anything happens. Then they pick them up at airport in Denver and head to camp. Several times we have tagged out and I think this is really the only way to try and get that much meat home.

Actually the last couple years the 2 that drive bring their wives (who happen to be cousins) and while the husbands are hunting the wives road trip around and spend part of their vacation checking out the sites.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
Leave 9ish in the morning and you'll be hunting the next afternoon. I do it almost every year. 24 hours of seat time and a few hrs rest, and I'm in the woods.

PMcGee

WKR
I drove from PA to Colorado this year 29 hrs. There were two of us. When one got tired he slept and the other one drove. It went a lot better then I expected. I was lucky enough to kill a bull the second day. We had it processed and froze. Couple coolers and dry ice and it was still frozen when we got home. Btw we broke down on the way home it took almost 40hrs to get home.

I don't necessarily have an answer to the question, but I can share some info. This year I took an elk in Idaho and had it shipped back UPS. The bull elk all processed weighed roughly 250#. I left the cape and antlers at a local taxidermist so that will be shipped back as a complete mount. Back to the meat, they shipped me the meat back in five boxes of 50# each more or less. Cost me a cool $1,200 via second day air. The processor recommended three day, but UPS strongly urged against it. I'm glad I listened to UPS as all the processor did was throw the meat in cardboard boxes and ship it to me. You'd be surprised how well a bunch of meat can stay frozen, but the heat in the south was a little too much and when I received it it was starting to thaw. One more day could have been disastrous. Anyway, here's some advice/things to consider.

- shipping via a major carrier is gonna run you a lot of money. I wouldn't do that.
- Driving is a great idea and eases a lot of the logistical hassles about transporting meat, antlers, gear, etc. If you have multiple elk down this could get tricky. Like I said, I'd plan for 200-300# of meat per elk depending on how you get it processed. Steaks, burgers, and roasts will probably put you at 200-250#. You start mixing some sausage with additional ingredients and additional weight it can get heavy. Even driving, it could be a challenge moving a half ton of meat.
- Do your research on the airline baggage policies. Some airlines won't accept softsided or styrofoam coolers. Some airlines don't accept antlers.
- Baggage fees may seem excessive, but if you can split the load appropriately (weightwise and between people) it's more than likely a lot cheaper than shipping it home. It'll probably take 4-5 medium size coolers (100 qt) to get it home.
- Airline cargo/freight is something I've heard can be a lot cheaper but I've never done it. I need to look into this one more.

Like I said, don't think I really answered your question but thought some of this info might help.