How to get answers for a custom build?

kmcdonou

FNG
I want to buy the parts over time for a custom build, as I don't have the money all at once. I want to keep my eye on the classified to possibly get some of the needed parts cheaper. However, I want to speak to someone that knows about these things to make sure I buy the right parts for my needs.

I know the purpose of the rifle, cartridge, twist, range of bullet weights I want to use, what the finished weight should be (minus optics), length of the barrel, and the chassis I want to use, but I really need some input on the action, barrel contour, and trigger.

With this information, I will purchase the parts over time and then send to a gunsmith to assemble, time the trigger, mount the scope, etc. Possibly I will have him get the barrel too, but if I can get good feedback, I can order that too.

Like I said, I really want to speak to someone that not only knows this process, but has broad knowledge of rifles and can give good advice based on my needs. They may see some limitations in my choices and direct me to different parts or raise questions that make me consider something more carefully. Since I don't have the money to do everything right now, I don't want to take advantage of someone's professional expertise without ensuring they can get an immediate return for their time spent with me. How do you suggest I proceed?

I know I can ask questions on these forums, but as been mentioned in a previous thread, most people just recommend what that have used, and are not going to take the time to deeply reflect on what my goals are. Any advice is appreciated.

If'n it was me, I'd buy a zermatt/Bighorn action and action wrench, triggertech Diamond, barrel vice, and a prefit shouldered barrel. Whatever scope, rings, chassis/stock and goodies that ya want and bolt it together myself....... No way in hell I'd ever pay someone to mount a scope. Oh wait, that's exactly what I did on 4 customs.

davsco

WKR

these guys will def take the time to help you put together a nice rifle. if you buy the components they'll generally assemble it for you, or they can also do full custom.

i will say the whole 'shouldered prefit barrel' thing is pretty cool. i just did my 3rd tikka (tikka action, proof or carbon six barrel, mesa altitude stock) and for ~$2500 you get a pretty nice rifle (excl glass). of course box-stock tikka's do pretty good by themselves though not really sexy, although i guess quality and accuracy is sexy...

madcalfe

WKR
for a trigger id most likely go triggertech diamond. its pretty much the nicest one out there.
actions its all personal preference. want light weight titanium, degree on bolt throw. cant overly go wrong with a lone peak, defiance, pierce, batt, zermatt/bighorn just comes down to what your looking for.
as for barrels you wanting carbon fiber? stainless? what length? thickness?
proof, bartlein, carbon six, all good companies

I know the purpose of the rifle, cartridge, twist, range of bullet weights I want to use, what the finished weight should be (minus optics), length of the barrel, and the chassis I want to use, but I really need some input on the action, barrel contour, and trigger.

I would say that if you already have these things decided, the rest just comes down to personal preference. Most custom actions in the same weight class all have various features that will appeal to different people. If you are going with a super lightweight build, your options will be more limited, but if you are going for a mid-weight build, then you have more options. Just have to figure out what options appeal to you. If you ask a professional, they will still most likely just steer you towards what has worked for them in the past (personal preference again).
Barrel contour will honestly be dependent on what you are trying to build. Again, lightweight will take you down the thin sporter route. Mid-weight will put in long sporter, or shorter heavier profiles. Pick which barrel you want to use (honestly any of the makers that bugholes.com sells will be a good choice) and then pick the contour that gets you closest to the weight you want.
Which action you choose is going to dictate which triggers are available for your build. Most custom actions use Rem style triggers. The other thing that will dictate will be your intended use of the gun. Most target or PRS? Target triggers in the 10-18oz range. Hunting gun? Hunting trigger in the 2-3lbs range.

The final thing I will add and I kind of alluded to it when talking barrels. Most of the custom stuff now days is so close to one another, I doubt you will be able to tell the difference between them. Especially barrels and triggers. Yes, duds do exist, but a good cut or button rifled barrel and a good aftermarket trigger will be more than adequate unless you are trying to build a true benchrest gun, which I don't think you are. Don't overthink it and don't let analysis paralysis prevent you from jumping on good deals when they come up. Worst case is you get it and decide it isn't right for you and you can turn around and flip it on this or another forum.

OP
K

kmcdonou

FNG
I do know what I want, but I am unsure how to get there or where I may have to make some compromises.

I want a rifle for some target shooting (steel, golf balls, etc.; anything that can challenge me) and hunting (whitetail, and coyote). Since I live in the upper Midwest, and in very forested area, 300 yards is the best I can do for target shooting. Hunting will be at much less distances.

I want a rifle to weigh no more that 10.5-11 lbs, including a 2 lb scope but not rings, trigger, and mag. I can go heavier for target work, but no more than that for hunting, even if that means I have to compromise on the action or barrel material. Since hunting will mostly be by ambush rather that stalking, I plan on strapping the rifle to my backpack, thus I can go a little heavier on the build.

I want a barrel length around 18" and plan on running a TBAC suppressor all the time.

Stock - MPA Hybrid (weight 3.5 lbs). I want this stock because it can adjust down to 12.75" which is my approximately my length of pull. It also has the option for adding weight if I want greater stability while target shooting.

Action - Impact Precision 737r (weight 36 ounces). I wanted this action because it is smooth, has a full rail so I can adjust the scope perfectly, and is known to run well even if dirty.

The problem is this action is pretty chucky. With it, an MPA stock, and a 2 lb scope, I am at 7.75 lbs. I am not sure how heavy an 18" barrel is that has a large enough diameter (.750?) for a suppressor, but I may be pushing my weight.

So what I don't know is how much an 18" barrel weighs, with a .750 diameter at the barrel end for threading to a suppressor? I was hoping to use steel as it is cheaper and arguably more accurate. I know I can get it fluted and that will shave some weight, but maybe not enough.

So, if any of you have suggestions on what real world weights are for an 18" barrel threaded for a suppressor or an alternative suggestion for a lighter weight action with full rail and field reliable that isn't titanium, I am all ears.

gbflyer

WKR
State your goals. Plenty of help here. Get your stuff together and send it to Shaen. No need to waste gunsmith time with hypotheticals. They need to get other work done

I do know what I want, but I am unsure how to get there or where I may have to make some compromises.

I want a rifle for some target shooting (steel, golf balls, etc.; anything that can challenge me) and hunting (whitetail, and coyote). Since I live in the upper Midwest, and in very forested area, 300 yards is the best I can do for target shooting. Hunting will be at much less distances.

I want a rifle to weigh no more that 10.5-11 lbs, including a 2 lb scope but not rings, trigger, and mag. I can go heavier for target work, but no more than that for hunting, even if that means I have to compromise on the action or barrel material. Since hunting will mostly be by ambush rather that stalking, I plan on strapping the rifle to my backpack, thus I can go a little heavier on the build.

I want a barrel length around 18" and plan on running a TBAC suppressor all the time.

Stock - MPA Hybrid (weight 3.5 lbs). I want this stock because it can adjust down to 12.75" which is my approximately my length of pull. It also has the option for adding weight if I want greater stability while target shooting.

Action - Impact Precision 737r (weight 36 ounces). I wanted this action because it is smooth, has a full rail so I can adjust the scope perfectly, and is known to run well even if dirty.

The problem is this action is pretty chucky. With it, an MPA stock, and a 2 lb scope, I am at 7.75 lbs. I am not sure how heavy an 18" barrel is that has a large enough diameter (.750?) for a suppressor, but I may be pushing my weight.

So what I don't know is how much an 18" barrel weighs, with a .750 diameter at the barrel end for threading to a suppressor? I was hoping to use steel as it is cheaper and arguably more accurate. I know I can get it fluted and that will shave some weight, but maybe not enough.

So, if any of you have suggestions on what real world weights are for an 18" barrel threaded for a suppressor or an alternative suggestion for a lighter weight action with full rail and field reliable that isn't titanium, I am all ears.

What chambering? The bore diameter will have an impact on the overall weight of the barrel.

I would recommend a Wilson #4, fluted, or a Bartlein 2B, also fluted. That should get you where you want to be. I have an 18" Wilson on my 7TCU build. IIRC it was between 2-3 lbs. Plenty of meat to thread your suppressor onto as I have mine. Not .750", but that is TABCs stupid requirement. All you really need is .680". If you just have to have .750" then I recommend going with one of the barrel makers that will do a flared end, like McGowen. Or have your smith thread it 9/16-24 and then put an adapter on it for 5/8-24. Kampfeld, Shaen Rifles and other will do that for about $175. There are pics in some of the threads here (Tikka threading).

All-in-all, I guess what I am saying is that you can go with any of the heavy sporter contours and you will have enough to thread your suppressor onto. Or you can go with a standard sporter and have it flared by the maker or a smith.

I don’t think a MPA chassis is really what you want for upper Midwest hunting and a max range of 300 yards. I’d save your money and get a KRG bravo that won’t be so cold to the touch in the winter. I think they are around 12.8” LOP without any spacers.

Bartlein #3 or benchmark #4 would be a decent place to start on contour.

You could go lone peak razor with the alpine cut that would save you 8 or so ounces. Kelbly Nannook would be lighter yet. Lots of good choices out there.

B23

WKR
My Kelbly 22-250 has a 18in Brux barrel, if I recall it's their #5 bull sporter contour, and as it sits in this pic it weighs 10lbs 2oz Shorty 250.jpg

Badseed

WKR
Another question you need to evaluate is whether you will be reloading ammo or sticking with factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk