How to correct drop?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I think you’re misinterpreting what lawnboi and castle are saying or I just disagree.

If the dudes asking these questions “true” a ballistic calc based on an AB custom curve and measured velocity at ranges like 600 yards, they are more likely to worsen their data by “truing” in the impacts from current conditions they are unaware of than actually improve that baseline ballistic profile for future use with different conditions.
You disagree with trueing rifle quick charts based on real world hits at yardage? Interesting.

Whether you true velocity or blindly trust an app based on chrono MV, etc you are missing shots on animals without confirming at long ranges. See cold bore challenge overall results for what actually happens when guys shoot “long range” without confirming hits and trusting apps.

Both methods can get you very close in lots of cases, especially inside 600 yards since you mentioned that particular range, but “close” and “confirmed” is the difference between kills and misses.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I certainly do with proven data, do you true in the field before taking a shot?
I true at home in hunting terrain shooting at that particular rifles killing range and then build quick charts based on planned hunt DAs.

You mentioned “taking it up a couple clicks” after sighter shots. That doesn’t always work when trying to kill things was what I was trying to convey, probably poorly sorry.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
OP where are you at in CA? I’ll be in CA 2 out of the next 3 weeks. I can bring my MIL Dot spotter out and give you a hand working out your setup if desired.

I can also bring my garmin chrono along and we can “do it both ways” using a known MV so you can see the process using a couple different method. PM me.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
You disagree with trueing rifle quick charts based on real world hits at yardage? Interesting.

Whether you true velocity or blindly trust an app based on chrono MV, etc you are missing shots on animals without confirming at long ranges. See cold bore challenge overall results for what actually happens when guys shoot “long range” without confirming hits and trusting apps.

Both methods can get you very close in lots of cases, especially inside 600 yards since you mentioned that particular range, but “close” and “confirmed” is the difference between kills and misses.
So we are either blindly trusting a velocity number coming off of alien technology or environmental effects we can only confirm once we send the bullet?

I shoot a lot, plenty of confirmation gets done. Environmental effects are a guess. Enough shooting and you can start to make some educated guesses

Anyone can true data if they want. Iv been screwed by it, and I pass it along when people ask. Because I don’t think it’s as easy as shooting a few shots and fudging numbers in a solver. I see a ton of new shooters thinking they need to true at 5-600 yards.

And I kill animals too.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
As I said somewhere before good zero's aren't usually a one and done proposition

Explain this please.

and neither are offsets or most anything else we do. It takes a little time and effort to repeat and test to come to a good reliable setup with full knowledge that day to day environmental's are going to mess with you.

This as well please.

EdP

WKR
Whether you true velocity or blindly trust an app based on chrono MV...
I don't recall folks saying they don't confirm app results at the range, certainly not me. I confirm at 100 yd intervals out to my self imposed max range prior to hunting. I find the app results generally very good but not good enough to rely on for hunting without confirmation. Once results are confirmed good at the 2000 ft elevation of my home range I run the app again and create a quick chart for the hunt elevation and likely environmental conditions. I know that there is "on the spot" technology but I don't see a need for that at my max range of 600 yds.

Last edited:

I'm saying that if a guy has rock solid data, AB custom ballistic curves, actual current velocity and DA, and they are off a click or two of elevation at 600 yards - I believe further "truing" the ballistic profile to that point in time is more likely to be building the current environmental impacts (drafts, mirage, etc) into the ballistic profile than improving the profile. The next time someone goes to use that data when those environmental impacts aren't present, they might have worse data. If one has the same results across multiple days and in different locations, by all means they should address it. I'm just saying that a kestrel with the right data and AB curves seems really dang solid well beyond any realistic hunting range for me.

"Confirmed" with unknown built in environmental error is a negative.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I'm saying that if a guy has rock solid data, AB custom ballistic curves, actual current velocity and DA, and they are off a click or two of elevation at 600 yards - I believe further "truing" the ballistic profile to that point in time is more likely to be building the current environmental impacts (drafts, mirage, etc) into the ballistic profile than improving the profile. If one has the same results across multiple days and in different locations, by all means they should address it. I'm just saying that a kestrel with the right data and AB curves seems really dang solid well beyond any realistic hunting range for me.

"Confirmed" with built in environmental error is a negative.
I have personally found that whether you are strictly using a chrono or adjusting MV in the solver to line up with impacts, the discrepancy between the two methods at “long ranges” can be unidentifiable. They can also result in differing results.

What I am advocating for is different. I don’t care which method somebody uses as they both work. What I am advocating for is confirming consistent hits at various yardages and making those adjustments when required.

Relying on kestrel which sucks for hunting other than being a good anemometer, as it’s too slow, is not the way for me. Relying on “rock solid data” (other than a true and non wandering 100 yard zero and as close to a proper BC as you can get), is also a recipe for misses.

I know this is flabbergasting to most folks, but bringing out an actual pen and field note book and writing down confirmed drop hits at yardages with repeatable day to day DAs etc. really does work.

Adjusting for environmentals from that point has proven to me personally over the last couple decades, whether I’m in northern Minnesota hunting whitetails in zero degrees at near sea level, or shooting varmints in Arizona at 4,000 feet and 110 degrees, consistent impacts at long range often follow.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This is all of course generally speaking across the board. There are zero “absolutes” in this application, with most of the issues I’ve seen being shooting ability and lack of good original zero, than anything else.