How to become a better rifle elk hunter?

Elkaddict

FNG
I hunt N Idaho- thick timber/brush- most shots are no further than 50 yards and greater than 150 yards is rare. I like to move as you do and don’t sit well. I tend to want to cover ground but have more success when I slow down scanning the new scenery with each step. I am extremely picky about silent clothing for this type of close encounter hunting. Learn an area well and know good locations to be at first light. The more time in the woods the better your odds of landing in the right spot on the right day. Good luck!

OP
Kenai_dtracker

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt N Idaho- thick timber/brush- most shots are no further than 50 yards and greater than 150 yards is rare. I like to move as you do and don’t sit well. I tend to want to cover ground but have more success when I slow down scanning the new scenery with each step. I am extremely picky about silent clothing for this type of close encounter hunting. Learn an area well and know good locations to be at first light. The more time in the woods the better your odds of landing in the right spot on the right day. Good luck!
If I was elk hunting in that type of terrain exclusively, I would wear what I whitetail hunt in. Light wool jacket and wool pants, and probably even my wool fanny pack. You cannot get any quieter than that in the woods for clothing.

Pick up a bow arrow for a few seasons. You'll be a better rifle hunter. Think about that one for a little bit.
That’s what I did and have only hunted with a rifle 3 times since 2007. Not sure it helped my rifle hunting skills though at 33.333% kill rate on those 3 tries

OP
Kenai_dtracker

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
Pick up a bow arrow for a few seasons. You'll be a better rifle hunter. Think about that one for a little bit.
I'm trying, haha! We may end up back in MT next September on my brothers tag. That means he's relying on novice elk hunter and caller me, but that means more experience under my belt on mostly his dime. For September, do you change your calling tactics as the archery season progresses? And what I mean is, do elk get pretty "call shy" after a week or two?

Goathill

FNG
Glassing and listening, not always but many times I've heard bulls bugle in November and the cows always mew. We try and glass then move in the next day I've seen many try and rush in after glassing, but not having enough time to get there and get the job done., no patience.