How should I hunt this Deer? - NEED OPINIONS

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so first of all I want no negativity on this thread and I truly just want what you guys think. In hindsight I should have done a little more scouting to be ahead of this deer. Where as now I feel like I'm one step behind him. This is my first year on this land and didn't get access till later. But heck, i'm 20 years old and have a lot to learn. But I am going to try to describe everything the best I can.

I have this buck, what I guess to be 4.5. I found where he was during the summer and where he lived around the end of August to mid September. But in mid september he disappeared and have only got pics of him 1 time on Oct 2 since then. I know bucks ranges change and his did about the 20th of august but then i re found where he was living. For a long time I just thought he truly went somewhere else until some recent scouting trips revealed multiple areas around where I'm hunting with rubs everywhere. I have had cameras around these areas but no pics. I know they love to find acorns this time of year and their isnt any acorns around this area. So I am wondering. What would you do to try and get on this deer again. Here's what I think but please let me know what you guys think and what you would do.

I have a hard time believing that this buck wont come back to this area with all of these rubs. It's just how long of a time frame would I have. There are does in this area which I think helps as well. Part of me wants to go and scout to new areas in search of acorns, but I also don't want to totally blow this buck out. So what goes through your head. Should I go and try to find some new areas away from where im currently hunting away from pressure and maybe some acorns. Or should I stick it out around these rubs and hope he show back up at some point. Obviously there is no diffinitive answer to this, and the only way this can be solved is if he hits the dirt. For reference I am in northern MN. And I would love to post maps with pins but I am hunting on half private i have access to and half public. And the last thing I want is some a**hole to see this and get some great idea. Seriously guys thanks for any of the help or advice you give me in advance.

IMG_1324.jpegIMG_1250.jpegIMG_1071.jpeg

I'd put in a licking branch, scrape the dirt underneath and take a piss in the scrape. Put the branch on a field edge if possible and put a camera on it. If he's around he'll find it, especially when the other deer start using it.
It's amazing how well this works to see what bucks are around. I've never seen or shot a buck on my property that I didn't have pictures of on the licking branch, and they return year after year.
Lastly, minimize excursions into the hunting area until you are hunting. Mature bucks aren't stupid.

Edit: Good luck!

Bugger

Lil-Rokslider
Without knowing his pre-rut feed&bed pattern, I wouldn’t mess with adding new food or disturbing his home area trying to get lucky. Fortunately you’re close to his home range so you’ll have first crack at him using scents and rattling whenever the early rut kicks off in your area. Don’t get too aggressive and don’t go shooting does in his back yard.

OP
Dylan Sluis

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the help so far! I have put a couple mock scrapes in with branches but so far no luck. But if he's not using the area he wouldn't have found them. Once he finds one though he should keep coming back to it. And yes I'm not shooting any does, I only get 1 tag in my zone so it has his name on it and his name only. Thanks guys!

Wheels

WKR
I have had this happen multiple times with mature bucks, summer one place and once they shed velvet move to their "core" area and spend the rest of the fall/winter there. That area can be very small and they will not leave it, they breed their 3-4 does and are happy and safe. Hunt the edges and hope he walks by, or push it and either kill him or blow him out.