How much wood for a week in the wall tent?

go_deep

WKR
We'll say 15° overnights, Pine and Aspen are the only two woods available, camping at the truck so you have chainsaw and splitting mual.
How much wood are you cutting? Just for measurements sake, half a truck box, full truck box, more?
How long does it take you to cut and spilt it?

cnelk

WKR
There's an old saying saying about cutting / splitting firewood....

"It will warm you twice"

Let us know how much it takes

OP
go_deep

go_deep

WKR
There's an old saying saying about cutting / splitting firewood....

"It will warm you twice"

Let us know how much it takes

Like @WV Mountaineer said about a truck load, but I left probably 2 nights worth when I left after 7 nights. I'm just curious what other do, how long it takes them, I like to over cut the first day so I don't have to cut wood the rest off the trip.
I started my wall tent days in reverse, used propane first for years then switched to wood.

PXL_20231012_224326363.jpg

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
Ive found it also depends on if its windy.
Not much insulation in those wall tents ;) and the wind really pulls the draft out the flue.

I know you're not supposed to, but we cut wood and fill a cooler with it and haul it up to our hunting area, so the work is done. That's for like a tipi and large box stove. I get you'd need more for a wall tent, but I wouldn't burn a day of vacation to cut wood in camp.

Depends on if you want to use your sleeping bag or sleep on top of your sleeping bag

you'll probably need 1/2 rick for a week if you're burning all night, cooking at night and morning

wytx

WKR
Hang some canvas drop cloths along the inside of the walls, helps hold in some heat and block that illuminated view of everything inside.

We take a little hard wood for the overnight burns and lump coal would also burn longer at night.
Wood is cheap or free, why buy propane?

I've got a converted 30 gallon well pressure tank for my stove and I figure 6-8 pieces a day ( quartered 20"-24" rounds). That is with red fir or lodgepole. There is a big difference between 20 degrees and 15 degrees and you'll notice it with your wood consumption. If you are choking the damper down, don't forget to clean your flue every 3-4 days.

OP
go_deep

go_deep

WKR
I know you're not supposed to, but we cut wood and fill a cooler with it and haul it up to our hunting area, so the work is done. That's for like a tipi and large box stove. I get you'd need more for a wall tent, but I wouldn't burn a day of vacation to cut wood in camp.

I had about 4 hours total by myself to cut a truck box full and split this year in the snow and rain, but I can understand where if time is limited you'd rather be hunting.

In years past, and whenever time allows we'll cut, but not split wood ahead of time and hide it a little ways away from where we'd like to camp.

Flyjunky

WKR
We usually go 2 days before opener and spend 1/2 day cutting and splitting wood for a 7 day hunt. Last year because of schedules we couldn't get up there until the day before the season and we decided to just buy those bundles you find at stores, and use the evening to scout instead of cutting wood. We bought 15 @ $4.50 each and they lasted us for the whole trip, but we only burn at night when we get back to camp. That was so easy and convenient we might just do that in the future.

Otherwise, a half truck load would usually keep us warm for 7 days easy.

Wood is cheap or free, why buy propane?
I guess all depends on what a person’s time is worth. Guys saying 4hrs to half day just cutting/splitting wood for camp. Some making an extra trip early to do it. Plus dealing with chainsaw, chain oil and gas. Then smelling like smoke and exhaust. Or just fill 2-3 propane tanks for $20 each and be done with it. I can’t make burning wood work in my mind with the other options now available. Even flying in, I’ll take the weight penalty for the convenience, no smell, instant heat, etc.

OP
go_deep

go_deep

WKR
I guess all depends on what a person’s time is worth. Guys saying 4hrs to half day just cutting/splitting wood for camp. Some making an extra trip early to do it. Plus dealing with chainsaw, chain oil and gas. Then smelling like smoke and exhaust. Or just fill 2-3 propane tanks for $20 each and be done with it. I can’t make burning wood work in my mind with the other options now available. Even flying in, I’ll take the weight penalty for the convenience, no smell, instant heat, etc.

It's all in what you want or of your time in the mountain too. I enjoy cutting and splitting wood, and no exhaust stink or extra gas either, electric chainsaw.

Hnthrdr

WKR
How much wood would a truck hunter chuck if a truck hunter would chuck wood?

wytx

WKR
In 35 years of hunting in the mountains only takes us about 1 hr to get wood together for a week in the tent. Time well spent .
Had elk 200 yds from camp this year after running the saw and splitting wood, wear camp clothes for cutting wood.
It really doesn't take that much for a week, you'll be mainly burning it at night and early morning.

Having a chainsaw with you even if not used for cutting wood is a must with all the standing dead.

Stalker69

WKR
We would have a wall of cut and split wood about 3 feet high by 15-20 feet long for a week. And that was just for the camp fire only at night. No heat in our canvas tent. It's better to have more cut then have to go cold, and cut more in the morning or after getting back to camp. If heating a tent on top of that, I would say half again as much.

I had about 4 hours total by myself to cut a truck box full and split this year in the snow and rain, but I can understand where if time is limited you'd rather be hunting.

In years past, and whenever time allows we'll cut, but not split wood ahead of time and hide it a little ways away from where we'd like to camp.
I use professional grade 75-95 cc chainsaws. All ported, polished, and squished. It cut my wood processing time by 75%.

I can and do cut and split a long bed, grace yard humped when stacked in 2 hours or so. I use a 6 lb splitting mail versus an ax. FWIW, I’m amazed at the number of people who split wood with an ax. It’s so stupid versus a splitting maul.

Anyways, this is oak, hickory, or ash. No room for pine or the like unless I’m burning coal. Which is something you should do if it’s available. I bring a five gallon bucket full of lump coal/day. The heat out put and longevity is probably ten times hardwoods. And 20 times aspen or pine.

Try coal if you got it. And, buy a stove that drafts up through the fire. Versus a door draft. It just compliments how well coal does. Without drafting up through the fire the coal won’t burn completely. Nor, nearly as hot.