How much warmth will down pants and jacket add to a quilt?

KBC

WKR
I’m in the market for a quilt and some puffy pants. In the effort of not carrying more than I have to and having something to wear glassing, do you think picking up the Black Ovis down pants and jacket, plus a quality 20 degree quilt will get me in the ballpark of a quality 0 degree quilt?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Probably, especially with some sort of insulated bootie and a beanie or hood for your quilt.

Also depends on the pad you’re using. With an x therm or something warm you’d probably be good.

The only problem is that it probably just won’t be that comfortable in cold weather, whenever I’ve been out with guys using a set up like you’re talking about, they are much less comfortable than I am in my high quality down bag/pad.

Reactions: KBC
OP
K

KBC

WKR
My current pad is a bigger klymit pad with an R value over 6. I can’t remember the model. I will likely supplement it with a reflective foam mat or upgrade it by the time November comes around. I’m on the fence with booties, my feet tend to be warm, I hate wearing socks to bed.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My current pad is a bigger klymit pad with an R value over 6. I can’t remember the model. I will likely supplement it with a reflective foam mat or upgrade it by the time November comes around. I’m on the fence with booties, my feet tend to be warm, I hate wearing socks to bed.
Yeah I hate wearing socks and bulky clothes to bed. I like being able to throw on a fresh pair of lightweight merino layers and climbing in the bag.

I actually pack along a set of merino stuff just for sleeping in.

rcb2000

WKR
Probably, especially with some sort of insulated bootie and a beanie or hood for your quilt.

Also depends on the pad you’re using. With an x therm or something warm you’d probably be good.

The only problem is that it probably just won’t be that comfortable in cold weather, whenever I’ve been out with guys using a set up like you’re talking about, they are much less comfortable than I am in my high quality down bag/pad.
This is all correct and good advice.

I wore those exact puffy pants with a 20 degree EE quilt in about 10 degrees, I made it through the night but you can guarantee I bought a better bag when I got home.

I not knocking Klymit for what they are, but you would be better served with a Nemo Tensor Extreme or a Thermarest XTherm if you're trying to hit closer to 0...

OP
K

KBC

WKR
This is all correct and good advice.

I wore those exact puffy pants with a 20 degree EE quilt in about 10 degrees, I made it through the night but you can guarantee I bought a better bag when I got home.
Why?

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a 7 or 8 year old EE Enigma 30-degree quilt and a similar aged Neo Air XLite pad. I only mention the age as I think the specs have changed over the years. I've camped down to -6F with it and slept alright with base layers and the first lite uncompahgre puffy pants and jacket on, simms windstopper mittens and a beanie. Those uncompahgre pants and coat are about the least durable pieces of clothing I own but also super comfortable and not bad to sleep in. I'm a "hot sleeper" and will basically wear that combo any time it's gonna be below 20. The night it got down to -6F I ended up pulling my quilt over my head and cinching the bungee closed, before I figured that out it was pretty cold. So based on my experience, I'd guesstimate puffy clothes with a quilt or bag gets you another 20 degrees but it's gonna depend greatly on a lot of other factors. If I didn't already have those clothes with me, I'd definitely go for a colder rated bag/quilt.

I not knocking Klymit for what they are, but you would be better served with a Nemo Tensor Extreme or a Thermarest XTherm if you're trying to hit closer to 0...
haha yes you are, but that's ok, they deserve it. It used to be the wild wild west when it came to ratings from air mattresses. Now that any company that truly want to sell a quality product will use the ASTM rating, these cheaper mattresses are getting called out.

The Klymit that was rated with a R-value of 4.4 only scored a R-value of 1.9 based on the rating scale.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I hate wearing layers when sleeping. I'd have to invest in a bag rated down to 0 or so with a better pad also. I'd sweat otherwise and then feel all tied up. Claustrophobia would kick in. Most I'd be able to handle would be base layers socks and a beanie.

I have a 20 degree EE quilt that I use all summer backpacking and through early October. Once the temps start dropping into the teens at night, I'm typically truck-based camping instead of backpacking in and switch the quilt for a heavy sleeping bag.

I have used my quilt into the single digits with extra clothing insulation, and got by, but it's not enjoyable/restful sleep. I move a lot in my sleep and would get drafts in the quilt. This isn't an issue when the lows are still in the 30's during early season, but once it starts getting that cold, it kills my quality of sleep and I'd want a bag over a quilt.

180ls1

WKR
I’m in the market for a quilt and some puffy pants. In the effort of not carrying more than I have to and having something to wear glassing, do you think picking up the Black Ovis down pants and jacket, plus a quality 20 degree quilt will get me in the ballpark of a quality 0 degree quilt?

Based on my non scientific research its closer to 10* then 20*

While I use a bag (WM Badger), not a quilt, I always have a puffy jacket. Considering a puffy pant as well, if needed due to temps. My thought is, along with a down booty, I could stretch my bag to slightly lower tennis, if needed.

I do believe I'd peel off layers to my base layers, then don my puffys. Yes, dressing the next morning would not be pleasant, but I think quality of sleepp would be better. Like wearing puffy PJs.

Currently my working theory solely for comfort and quality of sleep.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Well I ended up meeting in the middle and ordered a hammock gear 10 degree quilt because it was 30% off so under $300 shipped.
I also confirmed that I am a redneck. I got it in camo because why TF not?