How much is a pound worth to you?

Im right there with you. I really want to get a lighter weight custom rifle as my current custom is around 13 or so lbs and its gets heavy on my packing trips. But now I have come across a bc bear hunt and am really finding it hard to say no. I keep thinking that man I could buy that custom rifle for the price of this hunt but really the gun would be for hunting and I would just end up sitting at home with a super cool gun and thinking about how cool a bear hunt would be.

My used $475 Tikka 30-06 seriously lacks cool points... but it doesn't lack for function, and I've gone on some major cool fly-out trips the last few years.

I'll admit that I love a good custom gun as much as the next guy, but I figure I can buy those at any point in my life. I'll only get so many chance to climb the mountain though, so that's where I'm prioritizing.

yk

keep

Lil-Rokslider
Whenever I give seminars or classes on backpack hunting, I always say "$100 per pound is what it's gonna coast"!

The wives/girl friends in the room don't like hearing that!

I've actually found that the $ amount grows as your gear gets better. So if you have cheap gear, it won't cost more than $25 for each pound saved, but once you get into top dollar gear it can cost $100 per ounce!!!! Dang it

So you're saying if I start with a 50# pack and am willing to pay $5k I can go up the mtn with zero weight and still have everything I need. Sounds like a deal to me. lol

slim9300

WKR
So you're saying if I start with a 50# pack and am willing to pay $5k I can go up the mtn with zero weight and still have everything I need. Sounds like a deal to me. lol

Lol. That would be well worth it.

It's certainly follows the law of diminishing returns.

Diminishing returns really own this sport. But.... After I got all my gear to lightweight, I won't pay more to get it lower just to save weight. I might change tents, but itll be for room reasons. I'll be done going for lightweight as I'm pretty much there. My sleeping bag is 1lb 6ozs. Pad is 13 oz's Tent is 2.5 lbs. How much lighter can I get? And is it worth it? Nope. Not anymore! Now just spending my extra money on gas to get to Colorado and Idaho.

I don't usually replace light gear with lighter gear just for the same of doing it at this point. I do have a Kimber Montana and I find it more comfortable to carry in hand than my old tikka and MUCH easier than my old wood/blued Ruger M77! I pick up deals when I can if it fills a need. Golite SL tents on 50% off are a good example. At 6'5" bulk is as big a deal as weight for me. More than anything these days is outfitting my kids as they become more able to get out for longer back country trips.