How Much Heel Slippage?

So I bought a few different pairs of boots to try and am really liking a few of them so far. My question is what should I be looking for in terms of heel slippage? Some places I read there should be none and others I read there should be a little bit at first. Which is correct?

My experience is if I have heel slippage from the start, they will never be comfortable. I have tried to tough it out a couple times, but if I couldn’t remedy it with lacing techniques, they won’t work for me.

I have zero tolerance for it now, if I have heel slip, they are going back. Life is too short for that

If you over commit, it’s certainly worth researching lacing techniques or different insoles, but I have not had much luck getting rid of it

LostArra

WKR
If any boot or shoe does not feel "good" on first impression especially with heel slip they are rejected.

I have one pair of Asolo that I use a non typical lacing method but they have felt good from the start.

There are a number of good lacing and lace tying methods which help lock in a boot. It usually involves ditching the crappy insoles and also the laces that come with even expensive boots.

I'd suggest having some KG Boot Guard laces for whatever boots you get. Strong and they do not slip keeping your foot secure. Credit goes to I think Trial153 for recommending these laces.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the same boat, if they heel slip, they're shit.

However, my last 2 pairs of boots had some gnarly heel slip. They were a screamin deal, so I wanted to make them work. The stock insoles were like 1/16" thick, which is a joke. I replaced them with thicker ones (stock for another brand), and the heel slip just about disappeared. If that quick fix didn't help, they'd have to go back.

My wife had a pair of boots heel slip, and after 7-8 miles, she lost a few layers of skin on her heels. It was brutal.

OP
T
Sounds like the consensus is no slip at all. A few fitting guides I read suggested that you want some slip at first and that it would go away with break in. They claim that if there is no slip at first that it may indicate there is too much pressure on the heel and that it could cause blisters.

I think I will probably look to minimize slip though.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
You’ll know if it’s too tight in the heel. As they break in, I’d expect more slip, not less.

If the length is good, but there’s slip, do try a higher volume footbed if available. Hanwag insoles, for example, are a joke.

Attachments

• 33633398-7C5B-4D84-A325-4B10810ABBA5.jpeg
    33633398-7C5B-4D84-A325-4B10810ABBA5.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 18
I agree 98%. With hiking or hunting boots, I want them perfect and I’m still looking for perfect. With work boots like my redwing Dynaforce, Danner run, or Thorogood, I like a little more length and they are all leather boots. They do not have a rubber rand to define the width, so they will conform to your foot. With those models I’ve had a Thorogood that I sized down worried that the 10.5 was too loose, so the 10 had zero slippage. I had the dynaforce that fit perfect with just a little slippage. And the danner bull run was kinda loose and slipped about 1/4”-3/8” at first. Now they fit like a glove and no slippage. All of those models worked out with varying levels of heel lock…. But that is a different sector of boots

S.Clancy

WKR
If you want to have giant blisters a little heel slip is fine. I fit my boots to have none.

2ski

WKR
If any boot or shoe does not feel "good" on first impression especially with heel slip they are rejected.

I have one pair of Asolo that I use a non typical lacing method but they have felt good from the start.

There are a number of good lacing and lace tying methods which help lock in a boot. It usually involves ditching the crappy insoles and also the laces that come with even expensive boots.

I'd suggest having some KG Boot Guard laces for whatever boots you get. Strong and they do not slip keeping your foot secure. Credit goes to I think Trial153 for recommending these laces.
Which laces did you get? I see they have a couple.

What brands of foot beds are recommended? I have a buddy that recommends sheep's feet.

Some people don’t seem to understand that a lot of boots break in, especially leather boots.

OP you don’t specify what boots, which are they?

Front to back is absolutely normal during break in until the materials form to your feet. If they’re fully synthetic you should be able to tie them so that it’s minimal though.

Side to side should be minimal but may still be present until the material forms to your foot and it may very well be footbed support or lack their of. Check out the superfeet trailblazer insoles if it’s side to side. They are absolutely amazing and have a cup that your heel sits in and eliminates side to side.

LostArra

WKR
Which laces did you get? I see they have a couple.

What brands of foot beds are recommended? I have a buddy that recommends sheep's feet.
I use KG Extreme kevlar

I've always used some flavor of Superfeet or Heel That Pain when I had plantar fasciitis but there are a lot of good ones much better than the junk that comes in the boots.

OP
T
Some people don’t seem to understand that a lot of boots break in, especially leather boots.

OP you don’t specify what boots, which are they?

Front to back is absolutely normal during break in until the materials form to your feet. If they’re fully synthetic you should be able to tie them so that it’s minimal though.

Side to side should be minimal but may still be present until the material forms to your foot and it may very well be footbed support or lack their of. Check out the superfeet trailblazer insoles if it’s side to side. They are absolutely amazing and have a cup that your heel sits in and eliminates side to side.
I've been trying Crispi Nevadas, Schnee's Beartooth, and Lowa Tibets. All in size 9.5 and 10. I've only ruled out the Lowa's in 9.5 so far. All fit pretty good, which I expected as I bought them with my narrow heel and wider forefoot in mind. I'm just splitting hairs between all of them now.

By front to back, do you mean up and down? Or your whole foot sliding front to back in the boot?